[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: my-image (2).png (311 KB, 1140x691)
311 KB
311 KB PNG
Based on my tier list, what Murakami novel should I read next? Also, do you agree with my ratings?
>>
>>23329815
Don't agree on it fully, but it's not the worst list. I'd recommend killing commendatore, it's not talked enough compared to other Murakami's novels
>>
>>23329815
>S
>his worst novel
Just stop reading altogether.
>>
>>23329815
All of it goes in the trash and if Norwegian Wood is his best then I'm even more glad that I haven't read the rest of this slop.
>>
>>23329815
I'd read the Rat series in sequence. His first three published novels plus Dance Dance Dance. Or Hardboiled Wonderland.
>>
>>23329875
>>23329891
>>23329912
>>23330077
Can Japs write good literature?
>>
>>23330528
killing commendatore is neck and neck with wind up bird if not slightly better. arguably its the same book with components swapped out so reading both back to back feels like a fever dream.
>>
>>23329912
i havent read norweigian wood solely for the fact that its touted as a romance novel. the rest of his stuff feels like a cross between a david lynch movie and something satoshi kon would create. murakami falls into this very strange fever dream "mystery" genre. if youre reading murakami for some sort of revelatory experience or profound message, youre better off reading The Bible (kjv ofc) or Dostoevsky.
>>
>>23329875
killing commendatore has one of the better if not best climaxes of his books i m o
>>
It's really sad how no other writer can make The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but good. I loved the vibe of the book, there are a few things in it (Nutmeg and Cinnamon appearing out of nowhere just to give Okada the house, Boris' second coming in the gulag with his ridiculous powers and the last chapter) that make me unhappy with the book.
>>
>>23329875
>>23331455
>>23331479
I'm surprised to see this much praise for Commendatore, I read it last year and considered it one of his weaker works. I enjoyed the setting and atmosphere though, in that sense I actually think it might be one of his best, but it really felt like the middle third of the book dragged and it seemed a bit directionless. Menshiki was an intriguing character but I felt his storyline fizzled out by the end and didn't really have a satisfying conclusion. I agree the climax with the man in the nursing home was great though, probably one of the best things Murakami has written

I'll have to reread it sometime and see if I missed something
>>
>>23331521
It wasn't really out of nowhere. He decided to sit in public for days or weeks, doing nothing, until she recognized his mole. He was actively searching for the next plot point, creating a conscious opening for something to happen. It's basically Murakami's philosophy of open systems versus closed systems.
>>
>>23330528
Yes. Just not *this* Jap.
>>
>>23331976
I agree, there is the whole theme of flow/well/water in the book and Okada's uncle even talked about checking the flow of people before opening a new bar, so it makes she found him. What I really disliked is how fast it was, suddenly she appeared and he got the money and he got the house with the dry well.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.