[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: snore.jpg (42 KB, 780x438)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
What are some books that keep the yapping to a minimum?

like just get to the point.
>>
>>23329660
thats called poetry
>>
>>23329667
no it's called silent film
>>
>>23329660
I've found that a lot of so-called "yapping" tends to be needed examples, complications, nuances, etc., that allow you to further triangulate on a concept with precision. If you think you can grasp exactly what somebody is saying, even before they finish saying it, and then correctly apply it to every situation, then sure you can do with a book without yapping. But I think that's mostly hubris speaking.

There's also a tendency for people who have partial exposure to a subject to get annoyed when an explanation covers ground they already know. Well, a comprehensive treatment is bound to do that if you have some prior knowledge. It's a bit of a narcissistic criticism given that an explanation that is complete won't necessarily be an explanation that is tailored to Joe Schmoe and his particular needs at a given time.

There's one last kind of yapping that is not yapping, and that's when somebody is too smooth-brained to understand the idea in its entirety. So, they dismiss the extra qualifiers as an intellectual defensive mechanism instead of appreciating it as additional nourishment. Usually, these kinds of people tend to forget what they've read and fail to apply an idea in even its most rudimentary form, but they never remember their own incompetence.

>inb4 yapping
If you just read the first sentence of every paragraph, you'd have gleaned everything I needed to say. Everything else is helpful detail Not my fault you wasted your time lol.
>>
>>23329660
Anything by Ernest Hemingway
>>
>>23329660
Tale of genji
>>
Schopenhauer
>>
>>23329660
Bukowski
>>
For sale: diaper, used.
>>
>>23329660
The Golden Bowl
>>
>>23329667
based, you're one of the few on /lit/ who understand
>>
File: IMG_4198.jpg (11 KB, 255x197)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>23329660
Buy some VSI.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.