[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

i was apart of when that my friends started at a local community college and it was fun because i got to mog people in front of women so i'm thinking of starting one again. also it was fun having a scheduled weekly social meeting dedicated to something. any stories?
>>
File: 1628470373361.gif (3.54 MB, 500x600)
3.54 MB
3.54 MB GIF
>>23328718
I technically started one with another grad student at my uni (disclaimer: an engineering school) but it was too light on actual reading. There was never any specific book we all read together, so we'd just go around a circle describing what we'd read individually, which didn't really go much past plot summaries. (And you'd often have people who hadn't read anything at all.) We also all read very different books, so it'd be random fantasy lit followed by me describing how I felt reading the Necrophiliac or whatever. I eventually dipped out because it got boring and the other founding member called me a retard.

Recently returned because they had an English lit PhD student in to lecture, but it turned out to be some some high school quiz type of shit. More discussion was had about TV adaptations than the actual prescribed reading. (He apparently lectured on English lit history the first time, which actually sounded good.) I stole snacks and do not plan to return.
>>
>>23329094
Unrelated but I steal a lot of snacks every day. I know where a lot of lounges are with a lot of snacks. I go around stealing snacks every day at lunch.
>>
>>23329099
Eat your money's worth, brother. My uni keeps their snack-worthy events pretty locked down, but next week is the monthly free coffee+pastry day for grad students, so I'll be showing up with my tupperware. Recently ate myself sick at a comped conference, so I'm pleased.
>>
>>23328718
>i got to mog people in front of women

>So Chad... *nasal giggle* what did you think of the chiastic structure in chapter three as an allegory for the protagonist's circuitous and ultimately self-inflicted downfall? Maybe you can share with us how it parallels the author's exploits in Vienna... I mean, if you can. ^adjusts glasses"
>Uhhh, I thought it was cool, bro.
>HA! There was no chiastic structure in chapter three! I mogged you! Didja see that, ladies? I mogged him! Hey, where's everyone going?
>>
>anyone had success
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>23328718
I have this vision of starting a book club focused on epic poetry but I doubt I could actually gather enough people interested in my city.
>>
I started one in my company, which has 400 people (university educated office jobs). Had a lot of likes and encouraging comments. Nobody showed up.
>>
>>23329780
I live in a city of 60k and we had a good sized Finnegans Wake reading group recently, probably about two dozen people who spent a year working through it. Put up some flyers at the libraries and book stores, post on any pertinent websites, see what happens.
>>
File: IMG_4062.jpg (141 KB, 1079x854)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>23328718
I think about it but the amount of people who would want to group read of ancients or history isn’t very large I imagine. I thought something as an entry like Xenophon’s Anabasis or the Iliad might be a good start but I think I’d struggle to find anybody to do it with
>>
File: 1560627553915.jpg (143 KB, 1200x1200)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>23329099
based book club snack-stealer
>>
>>23329094
>the other founding member called me a retard
What did you do you troglodyte

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.