[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: GR.jpg (2.94 MB, 1996x2890)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB JPG
Considering some "Great American Novel" types.

Currently considering:
>Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
>Lolita
>Gravity's Rainbow
>Great Gatsby

Did you like any of these in particular? Or, are there others you would strongly recommend?

For context, I've recently enjoyed:
>East of Eden
>The Tartar Steppe
>Blood Meridian
>The Fortress
>Journey to the End of Night
>>
File: 1699974147045.jpg (30 KB, 314x499)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>23321880
>>
read both lolita and GR, recommend both, but gravity's rainbow more so, more people need to read that book and understand the sort of science fiction we're about to fall into. he's the great unknown sci-fi author, his work on beyond the zero and even the concepts of the book itself, the wild talent style echo that can be seen with him and through stephen moore's astute eyes, well, in any case, go for Gravity's Rainbow first. really give it a whirl, go deep on it. focus just on that one.
>>
Gravity's Rainbow usually requires some familiarity with Pynchon's works before diving into it. The Great Gatsby is an easy read if you're looking for that. Lolita is a great book, probably Nabokov's best --- buy an annotated version if you really want to get deep into the text.
>>
>>23321880
I love Lolita. Not sure if it is a great "American" novel since Nabakov is Russian. You should read it anyway though.
>>
got lolita, huck finn, and tropic of cancer. going on a road trip and wanted some "light" type reading. GR seems like more of an investment, but i'll get to it before long.
>>
>>23321934
>Gravity's Rainbow usually requires some familiarity with Pynchon's works before diving into it.
Which ones should I read? I wanted to just jump straight into it without reading his other works, maybe read Lot 49 beforehand since it's so short.
>>
>>23321988
Just start with GR, ignore the autism.
>>
>>23321880
Go Tell it on the Mountain
>>
huckleberry finn is the best out of those 4
>>
>>23321988

If you want to ignore the autism start with this post
>>23321998

I would suggest V.

Finished it last summer, fun read
>>
>Major Marvey sucks NIGGERS
lmao

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.