[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0481.png (59 KB, 504x389)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
No I am not starting with the Greeks and going down a 50 book rabbit hole. Name the name that summarizes everything.

Is critique of pure reason really the magnum opus of philosophy, the end all?
>>
>>23321255
The Name is Jesus Christ, Lord of Lords and King of Kings. The Word made flesh Himself, the Logos. The Son of God, and God Himself.
>>
File: gettyimages-71116843.jpg (144 KB, 1200x1200)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>23321255
This is impossible because your talking about perhaps the longest and richest tradition in the world - Western philosophy. The Alain de Bottom treatment won't work.
>>
>>23321255
Critique of Pure Reason is shit.
You want western philosophy? Read The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. Du Bois.
Tells you all you need to know.
>>
There is no way to summarise all of philosophy. Philosophy is not progressive like science. Philosophers respond to each other and debate but being more contemporary doesn’t make a philosopher closer to the truth. In science our understanding of how something like biology works is broadly improving over time. I have never heard a thoughtful philosopher say that Plato is not worth reading because he’s old. There is no way to sum up all of philosophy or get the one true philosophy because that’s not really what philosophy is. It’s also too big to summarise in one book because different philosophers ask different questions. You also can’t fully understand philosophers without understanding what they are responding to. I doubt anyone could comprehend Heidegger without at least a basic understanding of Aristotle. If you absolutely wanted to understand philosophy it’s essentially a life long task of reading and rereading and questioning with no definitive end. You don’t have to engage with it if you don’t want this and the end of the day it’s questionable if you would be the kind of person to benefit from it.

TLDR Start with the Greeks
>>
File: anime girl beer.jpg (70 KB, 640x640)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>23321255
philosophy is just a checklist
>self-reliance or government reliance
>agency or determinism
>materialism or idealism or dualism or whatever
and so on
You have to educate yourself on whatever notion.
Philosophy is really a big garbage can where shit ideas go. You need some ideas to figure out reality so you have to pull some out of the garbage. A few of them are even good. But if you let people tell you what to think, you're not coming to the conclusion yourself. You have to hear the arguments and weight them. It takes time and effort, so apparently it's not for everyone.
>>
>>23321255
Philosophy is a lifelong endeavor and going into it with the mindset that there is a single book that will *fix* you or show you the capital T Truth is only going to frustrate you further. You need to be extremely comfortable with indecision and confusion if you ever want to comprehend philosophy. I’ve been reading philosophy for almost a decade now and while yes I have learned plenty and feel that my experience of the world is richer for it I still have more questions than answers and my answers are tentative at best. Cut off one head and two take it’s place. SWTG.
>>
>>23321255
I feel your pain OP. Also what is the meaning of life so I can stop looking for answers
>>
>>23321255
SWtG
>>
>>23321255
Dao De Jing/Tao Te Ching
>>
>>23321255
pick 1 mathematics textbook. no I am not starting with addition and subtraction and going down a 50 curriculum rabbit hole. name the textbook that summarizes everything.
>>
>>23321258
based and true
>>
File: bad guy tell.jpg (45 KB, 700x700)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>23321362
>start with the greeks like me and you'll have more questions than answers even after ten years lol
in ten years of spare time someone could accomplish almost anything short of a large-scale industrial enterprise
>>
"I want one book which will summarize 2500 years of philosophy in a couple hundred pages."

Don't even bother. The fact that you aren't willing to start with the Greeks because it's too much work shows you're not dedicated to this. Just go on watching TV and playing your video-games.
>>
>>23321591
There probably is a book like that, I've seen one least for world religions. But it's very shallow and superficial.
>>
>>23321303
Nigger
>>
>>23321255
Everything you need is right here.
>>
>>23321255
Pic related is all you need. Phenomenology + psychology rounds works around the materialism/idealism dichotomy easily and even addresses things like panpsychism and any of the plethora of god debates. Plus it's a pretty comfy read.
>>
>>23321258
Jesus is Satan.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.