[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I struggled so hard to get thru the old forest chapter and the ones before and after. Did anyone else find those sections a bit boring to read? The book is very slow and I think that those sections were just too slow paced where I had to take a month long break to get thru them. Currently in council of Elrond section and it’s pretty good now.
>>
>>23320487
How old are you? Last time I read LotR was when I was 10, I don't remember it to be this hard.
>>
>>23320501
>I don't remember it to be this hard.
It’s not that it is hard but I would get bored of the traveling parts. It’s just so many detailed descriptions of the land they are walking thru that seem unnecessary. It’s similar to how I would get exhausted with grrm detailing way too much when it come to food or the tapestries and banners inside places. Also you need to take into co side ration I’m reading lotr right after going thru silmarillion, book of lost tales, children of hurin, and the hobbit.
>>
>>23320501
When people say "hard to read" they usually mean boring or uninteresting, as in its hard to read those chapters because you'd rather read something else.
>>23320487
It was a slog but it picks up rather quickly from what I've read, 2nd book is much better so far.
>>
>>23320525
By second book do you mean the part in Rivendell because I agree. It is much better there.
>>
>>23320487
The old forest and the barrow-downs were some of my favorite chapters.
>>
>>23320487
The last red pill is realizing that the LOTR films are better then the books.
>>
>>23320665
The old forest was just so boring. Nothing happens besides them getting lost and eventually falling asleep. And the. The barrow doesn’t is basically a repeat of what happens in the old forest. Those chapters seemed too reminiscent of the hobbit and not fitting the lotr darker style.
>>
>>23320514
Either listen to an audiobook or skim through all the details of going north, south, east, and west.
Unless you're studying Tolkiens maps he provides in his books, then its useless to even pretend you care about the legitimacy of his directions
>>
File: smt displeased.jpg (52 KB, 640x480)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Is LotR more exciting and interesting compared to The Hobbit? I feel obligated to read these books considering their massive influence but The Hobbit isn't doing it for me. If LotR is just more of the same I think I may drop them.
>>
>>23322393
Just watch the movies (the Hobbit not the awful LOTR ones)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.