[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1705115647407066.jpg (16 KB, 480x360)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Tell us about your backlog, anon
>>
>>23320142
finished Blood Meridian (McCarthy) and Invisible Cities (Calvino), can't decide which I liked more. I think Invisible Cities.

Up next
>great gatsby
>the trial
after that dont know, probably herman hesse's stuff since my mom has been hounding me about him
>>
My gf keeps giving me smut to read
>>
>>23320142
Long but manageable.
>>
>>23320142
There's no such thing as a backlog. That would imply that the point of reading is to have piles of read books that you can point out to your friends. The point of reading, in actual fact, is to develop as a person, as an intelligent being, to get pleasure from the experience, and to (in some cases) become a better writer oneself. I have perhaps 150 unread books but they don't bother me. I have a store of fiction and non-fiction of various eras and quality that are waiting for me when I finish my current reads.
The most important thing is that once you own a physical book, the government and corporations can't censor it or rewrite it or otherwise distort what the author had written, so the sooner you get the books the closer they are to what they were intended to be. And they don't expire.
>>
>>23320185
I just finished reading le procès, absolutely incredible and without a doubt one of the best books I've ever read. shall probably be watching the Orson Welle's adaptation tonight
>>
>>23320386
>There's no such thing as a backlog
>I have perhaps 150 unread books
Yes, anon, that's a backlog and having one has nothing to do with other people.
>>
>>23320142
I have 50+ lying around me at the moment. My real backlog is practically infinite though, there are just so many books and authors that I want to read
>>
This year I'm 100% focused on ze Germans.
>reading The Capital book 1
>up next, Hegel's Propaedeutic
>re-read Critique of Pure Reason
>Hegel's Logic and Phenomenology
>Heidegger
All that with some Freud in between.
>>
File: 1624391570218.png (1 MB, 1000x3313)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
>>
Don’t have one. It is hard to find interesting things to read.
>>
>>23320564
>le procès
You mean Kafka's The Trial?
>>
>>23323032
>>23320564
nevermind im retarded and didnt see who you were replying to
>>
>>23320983
cut the jews and that's a good backlog
>>
File: file.png (8 KB, 496x95)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>23323040
this shitpost was deleted but I am showing it all to expose this anon's shame
>>
>>23320587
Do you also have a backlog of words that you know?
>I have perhaps 150 words that I know but have never used in regular conversations
>These words are backlogged and it's a problem that I haven't used them yet.
A backlog implies that it is something that must be done in a certain limited time frame. That is not the case with books.
>>
File: 1000005283.jpg (119 KB, 648x1000)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
Expands quicker than i can read. It really does feel great to know there are so many great books just waiting in line for their turn.
>>
>>23320142
My fond hope is to get some taste of the major traditions: East Asian (mostly just Chinese, but I met a cool anon who did a good job selling me on the Japanese body of work), Arabic/Persian, and Indian. My more immediate backlog, outside the ones I'm actively in the middle of, includes Li Bai, Bai Juyi, Tao Qian and a couple anthologies.

>>23320386
>>23323756
It's about looking forward to a particular experience, anon. You are telling on yourself. Although I agree the term "backlog" itself kinda makes it sound like homework.
>>
>>23320142
I plan to read around 2000 books in my lifetime, but I doubt I’ll be able to reach it.
>>
>>23320142
almost done reading pic rel.
Next:
>Woman In the Dunes by Kobo Abe
>High Rise by J. G. Ballard
>Ubik by Philip K. Dick
Looking for more existential lit and New Wave sf
>>
>>23320142
Just finished Blood Meridian, I once tried to read this book several years ago and couldn't get into it but now it almost instantly became one of my favorites.

Currently waiting on an order to arrive (some of the stuff I bought was backordered so my package might take like a week and a half to arrive) so in the meantime I went through a bunch of Wordsworth classic I hoarded for super cheap years ago but many of which I ended up not reading. Among those I picked out The Idiot to read while I wait for my new books.
>>
backlog? i just start like dozens of books at once
i am currently reading 13 different books.
>>
>>23324201
Based. This guy knows how it's done.
>>
>>23320142
Dozens of books, maybe hundreds. I'm into pulp genre slop and pop histories so all of them will be good reads, too.
>>
Bowers, The Tragic Era
Cash, Mind of the South
Einhard, Charlemagne
Suetonius, Twelve Caesars
Aldrich, Old Money
Wilson, Patriotic Gore
Crevecoeur, Letters from an American Farmer
Walls, Passage to the Cosmos
Historia Augusta
Genovese, World the Slaveholders Built, etc.
>>
>>
>>23320142
backlog is eternal
im reading war and peace, finished the first volume, couple chapters into the second volume. I like Pierre being a big fat retard and i enjoyed andrei and niokolai's romps through the battles of Schongrabern and Austerlitz.
Once i'm through it i am keen to look into analysis of how right/wrong tolystoy gets the historical side of things. incredibly impressive work regardless.
>>
>>23324142
>almost done reading pic rel (the tartar steppe)
How is it? I recently finished Blood Meridian and this was one of the books I got recommended to read right after it
>>
>>23324201
>read 10 pages
>hmmmmmmm did it LE HOOK me yet? ehhhhhhhhhhhhh nah
>start new book
>repeat
that's not reading
>>
>>23326152
name your top 10 books
or top 5 if you're lazy
>>
>>23326342
>10 pages
more like 200 in a sitting with taking notes
and these are all nonfiction
>>
>>23320142
mAhhhah the frensh... books
>>
File: 1 of 2.jpg (665 KB, 850x1860)
665 KB
665 KB JPG
>>
File: 2 of 2.jpg (557 KB, 835x1515)
557 KB
557 KB JPG
>>23326577
>>
>>23326341
It's a work of existential fiction that has a beautiful sublime atmosphere that seems to persist throughout the entire book. It can be read as an allegory for the monotny of life and trying to find meaning. Despite this though, it's as a highly entertaining read, which is due to the fact that Dino Buzzati is just that good of a writer. The Fort in the story seems to be more than just a dull military outpost; it seems to be cursed by its own enviroment.
>>
>>23323756
you do have to do it in a certain amount of time though, before you die, whenever that is.
why would you have a backlog of words? you are not waiting to use certain words waiting until you use the first one in the list. you are a silly goose. honk honk
>>
File: 1000010069.jpg (30 KB, 1080x265)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>23320142
I'm cooked, OP
>>
>>23326344
Poetic Edda
Neumann - Origins and History of Consciousness
Homer - Iliad
Shakespeare - Complete works
Ellis - Mammoth book of celtic myths and legends

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.