[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: book-image-1141696983.jpg (51 KB, 674x600)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
When you go to the bookstore, how do you decide if a book is worth reading?
>>
>>23319928
I look up its score on goodreads on my phone.
>>
>>23319928
I can't even remember the last time I went to a bookstore rather than just ordered from Amazon. I guess I went to the section of the genre I was interested in, looked for an interesting cover, then read the back cover and first page or two to see if it could hook me.
>>
>>23319935
the lower the better
>>
Because I've known about the book for the past 7 years through browsing on /lit/
>>
>>23319935
I read the reviews but the scores mean nothing to me. Book ratings are subjective and you might miss out on a quality book if it's given a low rating by the unwashed masses.
>>
>>23319945
Makes sense. When I encounter a new book that may be of interest, I read the reviews to decide if it's worth reading and if it is, I add it to my reading list. I have a discount card with my local bookseller so I usually wait till I have about 7 books in my queue before going on a shopping trip.
Buying online is certainly more convenient but I don't like paying shipping and I've discovered a few books that I really enjoyed which I would otherwise not have encountered had I not chanced upon them at the bookstore.
>>
>>23320015
I was half joking, but generally speaking there aren't really any worthwhile books that score lower than a 3 point something. If a book scores like a 3/5 I like to check if the reviews are mostly just 3s (which means it's probably just mediocre) or if there's a lot of 2s and 4s (which means the book is divisive and might be worth checking out if it seems interesting). It's not exactly a good system to have but it's not like I'm gonna stand in a bookstore doing deep research on a book I'm seeing for the first time so it's just something to help you make quick decisions.
>>
>>23320035
lots of 4s usually mean it's trash though
>>
>>23319928
If the pages stick together
>>
>>23320060
An excellent heuristic indeed!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.