[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1580356787955.jpg (48 KB, 500x451)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
I have read 10 books
>>
>>23319129
First list them in alphabetical order, then list them in the order that you read them, then list them in a ranking from favorite to least favorite, then, finally, list them in another ranking but this one on an objective assessment of best to worst.
>>
>>23319129
This month?
>>
>>23319136
Cat's Cradle
Catcher in the Rye
Conspiracy Against the Human Race
Fear and Trembling
Flowers for Algernon
Frankenstein
The Kite Runner
No Longer Human
Notes From the Underground
Sharp Objects

>The Kite Runner
>Catcher in the Rye
>Flowers for Algernon
>Frankenstein
>Sharp Objects
>Cat's Cradle
>No Longer Human
>Conspiracy Against the Human Race
>Fear and Trembling
>Notes From the Underground

Flowers for Algernon
No Longer Human
Frankenstein
Notes From the Underground
Sharp Objects
Conspiracy Against the Human Race
Fear and Trembling
Catcher in the Rye
Cat's Cradle
The Kite Runner

>Notes From the Underground
>No Longer Human
>Fear and Trembling
>Conspiracy Against the Human Race
>Catcher in the Rye
>Frankenstein
>Flowers for Algernon
>Cat's Cradle
>Sharp Objects
>The Kite Runner

>>23319153
In 20 years
>>
>>23319165
>20 years
Dude...why? It's time to dig your heels in and get moving.
>>
>>23319165
based lister
I've also read Catcher in the Rye, Flowers for Algernon, Frankenstein, and Notes from Underground. If you like stories with protagonists that are (or at least feel like they are) outsiders to the societies they live in, then I recommend American Psycho, Child of God, Crime and Punishment, and The Stranger.
>>23319171
I think he's saying that he's 20 years old and that these are all the books he's ever read.
>>
>>23319171
8 of those are in the last ~6 months and there are a couple I didn't mention. I'm okay with this pace, zoomer brain and all that.

>>23319184
Started American Psycho years ago but I extra didn't read back then so I didn't get past 30 pages before getting bored. I need to finish Lolita, Blood Meridian, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest then I'll add it back to the pile earnestly.
>>
>>23319136
>>23319165
lists 3 & 4 should be identical
>>
>>23319196
cap
>>
>>23319184
It makes no difference. He needs to dig his heels in and move.

>>23319194
>I'm okay with this pace.
You shouldn't be overall, but at least you've gotten moving in the last months. Get on to the Bible, Shakespeare, Plato, and Aristotle before long. You'll need to return to all of them, so the sooner you read them for the first time, the better. There's so much to consider. Maintain that pace as best you can anon. Increase it if you're able, but not to the point of dimming retention and comprehension.
>>
>>23319198
i don't see why not
>>
>>23319196
I don't see why.
>>
>>23319209
I intend to read The Bible in the by next Easter.
Can someone less faggy vouch for Shakespeare?
>The Greeks

>>23319211
Fuck You

>>23319213
Thank You
>>
>>23319209
shakespeare said
Fall to them as you find your stomach serves you.
No profit grows where is no pleasure ta'en
>>
>>23319221
>in the by
damn I'm drunk
>>
>>23319213
unless you have no ability to see a work of art as it really is
>>
>>23319221
I wouldn't say you need to read all of Shakespeare, but certainly don't go without exposure to at least his tragedies, but you would do well to take in at least one of his comedies and romances too. He really can't be overlooked. Take, for instance, Lord Alfred Tennyson. If you read the poem Ulysses which is obviously a reference to Homer, and yet is full of Bible references as well, but say you read it, and you do not hear the voice of Shakespeare in Hamlet and Milton in Paradise Lost, you are not reading Tennyson at all, and there are many such examples as that throughout all of literature and art for the greats. Just as in philosophy and the sciences, intelligent men across history are all in conversation with one another, wresting with various parts of the same Mysteries. I was thinking whether Homer ought to be substituted for Aristotle, but, really, Hesiod and Homer should simply be added. They will permit you comprehension of most mythological references and give you the basis of poetry. If you want the basis of drama (and it is worthwhile), then consult the three major Greek tragedians, Aeschylus, Euripides, and Sophocles.

>>23319223
While there's some truth to it, balance is key. You cannot be an intelligent reader or appreciator of Art in general without those four. Too much has come out of their wake.

Let's for instance, imagine a man which shirks them in favor of his inclinations. While some idiosyncrasy of mind might be born because of his deficit—i.e. any inspiration which strikes him strikes him as the inspiration of one more ignorant—there's nothing to guarantee this idiosyncrasy will produce anything worthwhile, yet we can guarantee that it will render him uneducated and ignorant.

To some degree, we must all pick and choose. There isn't time for all that is, but the foundations should be walked upon by every man who has any intention whatsoever of calling himself a student of literature, Art, Philosophy, or anything like it. Not even film, really, can be watched with an intelligent eye without these basics, nor even politics participated in with any intelligence without Aristotle, for example.

But I'm a nobody. This is just my perspective and my advice.
>>
>>23319238
Whether a man can see isn't the issue. Even if I objectively consider a work to better, it doesn't mean I still won't prefer another. I can see a woman is objectively more beautiful than another and feel nothing, yet have my blood run hot for a woman who repulses me and is repulsive. Such is life and human emotion.
>>
>>23319264
Shakespeare might not be surprised to know that his plays are still bringing money to producers and fame to actors throughout the world. He would be greatly surprised, however, to know that they are studied (by compulsion) in the classroom; they are conned by scholars, dissected by pedants, and fed in synthetic and quite distasteful doses to students.

Of course if you have no literary judgment, no ability to see a novel as it really is, you spend your time groping for guidelines like what critics have said or might say about it, what class it seems to fall into, where it seems to be aiming, whether its style strikes you as normal or not, above all whether it can be called important or not - which is far easier to decide than whether the thing is any good or not.

But importance isn’t important. Good writing is.
>>
>>23319264
Fine, I'll see about Shakespeare
>>
>>23319297
And the good writers have all studied Shakespeare. Shakespeare wouldn't be surprised at all if he knew his own influence. You're just babbling empty pretentions.
>>
>>23319324
Good man. You won't regret it.
>>
>>23319365
Good and bad writers have influenced people (e.g. Ezra Pound).
Think for yourself.
>>
I've read millions of books, but none of them are what you'd traditionally call a book. Every piece of information filtered in my mind is essentially the same.
>>
>>23319373
I am ChatGPT
>>
>In 20 years
Probably beats the /lit/ average desu

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.