[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Benjamin Jowett.png (133 KB, 375x317)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
What does /lit/ think about the Benjamin Jowett translations of Plato vs others translators?
>>
>>23318927
I read the Jowett translations first. I'm partial to them. I think they're great. I own the common Hackett publication of Plato's Complete Works, but the Jowett editions one can get for free on Gutenberg are only less comfy for being less physical.
>>
>>23319151
I bought a used B&N copy of Republic and it happened to be translated by Jowett; the introduction talked him up quite a bit. That's why I was surprised to find out all his translations were free on Gutenberg. However, I have the Penguin copy of Plato's early dialogues from various translators and I can't say I noticed I striking difference in prose (although I did enjoy some early dialogues more than others). But I'll say that I'm pretty sure I shed a few tears while reading Jowett's Trial and Death of Socrates which made the book more impactful to me than otherwise.

On a side note: I noticed how in the footnotes of the B&N version of Republic, it explained how Socrates would use the expression "By the Dog" as an exclamation referring to the Egyptian god Anubis. But in the Penguin version when Socrates used that phrase its footnote said "unknown meaning." I found this interesting because in the Jowett's Apology, Socrates "swore by the Dog" that he wasn't practicing impiety by worshiping strange gods. He basically slapped the panel of judges in the face with that line, albeit unbeknownst to them. I found that part hilarious, and it would have went over my head, too, if not for that footnote in Republic.
>>
>>23319307
Interesting. I hadn't known the B&N editions were Jowett translations. I've been eyeing, thanks to one generous anon who shared knowledge of them here, the Prometheus Trust editions. Fascinating side note. I really enjoyed that. If you shed tears with the death of Socrates, you must be a good sort.
>>
>>23318927
He is fine for an amateur or if you are a substitute teacher needing to get though a class discussion. He is wrong if you want an in depth look at Platon.
>>
>>23318927
He looks like fat Owen Wilson
>>
>>23318927
He looks like he secretly enjoys the smell of his own farts
>>
File: 1709086552039027.jpg (64 KB, 870x704)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>
>>23319151
I am not an expert on translations and I don’t know Greek but Jowett is generally disliked for his Christian leaning slant in translations. Iirc in Timaeus he translates the One or the demiurge as “God” which has clear equivocations with the God of the Bible. He talks about the Gods and the God who created them interchangeably which can be confusing.
>>
>Benjamin Jowett
even his name sounds fat
>>
>>23321007
Why is the enneads tied up?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.