[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1689461840282049.jpg (113 KB, 648x1000)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
Is Blood Meridian worth a read or is it just a reddit meme
>>
This thread is the real Reddit meme...
>>
>>23318275
It's worth three reads.
t. read it thrice
I recommend actually looking up every single word you don't know instead of just skipping past them. Lots of useful ones. Like "frieze".
>>
>>23318275
It's a very intense book, not one you will easily forget. His style will either click with you or not, it is weird but you have to just let it be because it's inseparable from the whole work. It's just a book, you're allowed to like it or not. The very last people whose opinion you should ever care about are people who post "filtered" on redditchan, such base depravity McCarthy could never imagine.
>>
>>23318275
How do you even read it without quotation and punctuation marks
>>
>>23318534
good enough 4 kjv
>>
>>23318275
It's okay. It's nowhere near as well done as his later work when he'd develop and refine his style, and it is notable for how well researched it is, but actually reading the thing is a pretty mundane task. The Judge is interesting enough, but compared to shit like The Road and No Country for Old Men, Blood Meridian has much less to offer. I think the only people who obsess over it are people who don't really read much. Even his early works like Outer Dark are written in a similar style, most of which was aped from Hubert Selby Jr.
>>
>>23318275
Yes, it's a meme for a reason, anon. It is a modern classic.
>>23318534
You'll be fine.
>>
>>23318534
It took me 200 pages to get used to this and i was angry the entire time.
Like nigga, shakespeare used punctuation, you have to use punctuation too.
>>
It's worth a read if for no other reason than to make you wary of anything recommended here. He writes like he's drunk and on mushrooms at the same time, almost all the characters are faceless outlines of people while the dirt is very well described, and he writes the nigger word a couple dozen times. Also the book is from the 80's or something.
>>
>>23318534
>zoomies cant read more than a sentence without getting lost
Just actually pay attention to what you're reading and you will naturally add breaks where commas should be

"..if ever he were to again make such with the and to not bivouack in the after a time without any of that near where they were"

^ Probably the hardest to read sentence in the whole book but if you understand that "the" just means desert its no problem and you will naturally emphasize it.
>>
>>23318275
Both, unironically
>>
>>23318275
If you can appreciate a novel this long that's really strong on atmosphere but lite on plot then you'll probably enjoy it. It reads like a western written by Clark Ashton Smith, with the Judge being a Lovecraftian monster. Its not mind blowing if you've read other classics, but its a aesthetic masterpiece.
>>
>>23318984
I still have no idea what i just read
I spent an hour trying to read 1 page from Uncle Remus the other day but at least im more familiar with southern dialect
>>
>>23318275

You know how you hear people say start with the Greeks or people say you should read that Nietzsche moustache guy. Blood meridians part of that stuff. Very niche very hard to read, would generally be considered boring by most people. But some people like that kind of thing, you won’t know till you try, just reading the first chapter pretty much shows how the entire thing will be.
>>
Didn't realise it was a reddit meme, now I finally understand why it's spammed on here all the time
>>
Quotation markcels, genuine question, what is reading these books like for you? Do you get confused between description and dialogue? When the narrator suddenly lapses into a regional dialect and poses a direct question, which is then answered in between sentences describing characters acting while speaking, what did you think was happening in that situation? I'm really fascinated.
>>
>>23319906
>what did you think was happening in that situation?
Pointless question to ask because the people who struggle with this kind of writing do so precisely because they're unable to picture anything at all.
>>
It's a fun book if you like reading; the judge is literally me
>>
Seethe anon. He is pale and thin, he wears a thin and ragged Evangelion shirt. He stokes his penis. Outside lie dark turned fields with rags effay and darker 7-11s beyond that harbor yet a few last tendies. His folk are known for jerkers of cock and drinkers of cum but in truth his father has been dissatisfied with him. He lies in monster energy, he quotes from boards whose names are now lost. The anon crouches by the computer and watches him.

Night of your birth. Thirty-three. Dubs. The autist they were called. Shaka how the wall did fall. I looked for BCC, holes in the heavens. The nigger stove.

The mother dead, raped by pakis, did incubate in her own bosom the creature who would carry her off. The father never pays his bills, the anon is NEET. He has a sister in this world that looks down at him like he is garbage. He watches, pale and unwashed. He can neither read nor write and in him broods already a taste for mindless politics. All shitpost present in that visage, the anon the father of the bant.
>>
>>23319562
It was a meme here before it was on Reddit. People here would talk it up so much that it was eventually picked up by a safe edgy Youtuber who made an 8 hour video essay on it, and now its the quintessential must read for pseuds.
>>
>>23321078
blood meridian was a literary meme when 4chan was still a twinkle in moot's eye
>>
>>23321096
faggot that video got sixty gorillion views
>>
>>23318275
It is a meme, but it's also worth reading. The reason it got popular (le ebic violence xD) is not the reason it's good (mythological prose and characters).
>>
>>23319189
>I still have no idea what i just read
"..if ever he were to again make such with the (desert,) and to not bivouack in the (desert,) after a time without any of that (the desert, specifically its qualities) near where they were"

Quite simple really
>>
Do read it. It's the most Reddit book I have ever encountered.
>>
>>23318275
Unironically this. I just finished reading this and I spent the entire book repeating the words "This is reddit, this is memes, this is reddit, this is memes..." under my breath.

I fucking hated it. I was writhing around on the floor in front of my sofa for the last 30 minutes it was so painful.

There’s just too many "Le epic" dialogues for me. After a while when I would read a sentence I started to picture the lines appearing in front of me as a reddit post with the reddit upvote downvote arrows next to them, and let me tell you, there were lot of upvotes.
>>
>>23321061
Thank you for this :)
>>
I find the text challenging to get through and a chapter routinely take me 45 minutes to an hour. Do you think an audio version of this is okay?
>>
>>23321876
woah based
>>
>>23321061
>Night of your birth. Thirty-three. Dubs.
Laughed.
>>
>>23321903
With a good narrator this might actually be a very good book for an audio version actually, but I've never tried it myself.
>>
>>23318275
It’s good. Don’t spoil it for yourself.
>>
I dropped it when the author compared a sunrise to a throbbing BBC. I don't know why I expected any better from an American author.
>>
>>23322346
Quote?
>>
>>23322159
The audiobook version is the best audiobook I've heard so far: https://youtu.be/sE12km0BvRQ
>>
/lit/ is the most pseudo-intellectual board on this site behind /his/
>>
>>23323765
>/lit/ is the most pseudo-intellectual board on this site behind /his/
>most
>behind
Go back to /g/ retard
>>
Good if you like cowboy stuff and have a good/archaic vocabulary.
>>
>>23318275
Great book, not diminished just because zoomers have started circlejerking over it. Ignore them and enjoy it.
>>
>>23322346
>>23323155
There is no bbc, he's projecting his own cuck fantasies.
The quote is:
“They rode on and the sun in the east flushed pale streaks of light and then a deeper run of color like blood seeping up in sudden reaches flaring planewise and where the earth drained up into the sky at the edge of creation the top of the sun rose out of nothing like the head of a great red phallus until it cleared the unseen rim and sat squat and pulsing and malevolent behind them."

unless niggers are red
>>
>>23324532
>do your worst you mean red nigger
>>
It’s worth reading. It’s a very unique novel if nothing else.
>>
>>23322346
Do black people haunt your dreams?
>>
File: 511HL1sOqxL.jpg (54 KB, 327x500)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
Same setting, but you'll enjoy this more.
>>
>>23318534
punctuation can fuck off but not attributing quotation marks is wild cormac

gotta respect the audacity
>>
>>23321061
THIS IS FUCKING HILARIOUS
>>
>>23325980
I haven’t gotten to this one yet but I find it funny there’s a plausible case for a Flashman-Blood Meridian crossover. I want to see Flashy versus the Judge, the Judge would despise him for not wanting to join the dance
>>
>>23318275
McCarthy is worth a read for his prose alone
>>
Hello. Can someone explain to me the story that the judge told abt the traveler being killed by the harness maker? I don’t understand.
>>
>>23326989
The harness maker's wife had fallen in love with the traveller.
>>
>>23318275
>Is Blood Meridian worth a read
That depends entirely on your taste. It was well worth the read for me. So much so, that after I finished, I re-read it again.
>>
>>23327072
Damn I never considered this.,
>>
>>23327345
I'm not saying this is the "canon" interpretation but that's just the impression I got, with his wife regularly visiting the traveler's grave afterwards and all. The guy's wife and kids clearly hated his guts for making them live in the middle of some godforsaken wasteland.
>>
>>23318275
The cool thing about Blood Meridian is it's totally normie-proof. It has zero mainstream appeal, and no Redditor will ever say "um, actually, you're supposed to side with the Judge".
If they ever made a movie, it would be like a Béla Tarr movie but a lot more violent
>>
>>23318275
>purple prose
>men are killers
>story is just scalping and raping while albino pontificates
It's grimdark edge wrapped in 'artistry.'
>>
>>23327559
Stick to reading your genreslop kiddo.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.