[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: holmes.jpg (225 KB, 800x754)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
Let's talk about detectives, mysteries and crime fiction.
Which are your favorite detective stories/books? Who are your favorite authors of this genre?
I haven't read much of this genre besides the most famous authors (Doyle, Poe, Christie), but I've always found it very interesting. Also, I recently bought The Early Cases of Akechi Kogoro by Edogawa Rampo.
>>
READ THE DEMON DOG
>>
I've read 5 Georges Simenon stories
I think they're the perfect length, not too long like a Christie novel can be and not too short like a Holmes story can be
They're comfy and you really get a sense of the specific part of France that the story is taking part in
The mysteries are ok, nothing special
>>
>>23317838
bump
>>
Nero Wolfe is the Montenegrin meme before there was even tvs
>>
>>23317838
Just finished The Thirty nine steps. Fun read, the original chase film before chase films
Not strictly crime, but more of a mystery touch
>>
>>23318476
I had no idea there were books. I loved the radio show growing up. I'll check the books out.
>>
>>23317838
I must admit I've only read the classic stuff (Sherlock Holmes), the noir stuff (Hamett, Chandler, etc), the neo-noir stuff (Ellroy) but never the newer stuff because the moment I see they reference iPhones, facebook, twitter and all that dogshit I want to vomit.
>>
Jo Nesbo, Stieg Larsson, James Ellroy
>>
Professor Augustus S. F. X. Van Dusen, Ph.D., LL.D., F.R.S., M.D., M.D.S. is my favorite detective.
>i recently bought The Early Cases of Akechi Kogoro by Edogawa Rampo.
Ranpo is really good, but only a handful of his books were translated into English. Luckily for me some of his books that were never translated into English are available in Spanish.
>>
>>23317838
I was planning on picking up Talented Mr Ripley. Purple Noon is one of my fave films so I was figuring on reading the book too.
>>
>>23319127
It also qualifies as one of those stories where the two people handcuffed together hate each other and have to get along because of the situation. The movie is one I like a lot.
>>
>>23319292
The books are great, they'll teach you to be a spelling champion like nobody's business. There's no real continuity so jump in wherever
>>
>>23317838
The Savage Detectives
>>
File: lush.jpg (239 KB, 1085x1830)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
I collect pulps casually and have picked up picrel and a Lester Dent over the years. Still haven't read them but the cover got my attention.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.