[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0811.jpg (31 KB, 353x581)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Whoa wtf? I thought he would end up with Mercedes by the end of the story, but instead he decides to run away with his adoptive daughter. Maybe modern society is turning me into a cuck. The biggest message of this novel is not about revenge, it’s about not being a cuck.
>>
>>23317117
>>23314305
What's with all the sick fuck pedophile threads on this board lately?
>>
>>23317130
It’s in the book.
>>
>>23317117
>adoptive daughter
You mean his slave, that he bought and introduced to everyone as his slave? Where exactly did you get the fact that he adopted her?
>>
>>23317521
He clearly saw her as his daughter at first. It was only after she declared her love for him that he saw her as a woman. They’re also like 20 years apart. I feel bad for Mercedes, she didn’t do anything wrong and Edmond still decided to abandon her for the young hot asian woman.
>>
File: 1713711937741999.png (850 KB, 828x616)
850 KB
850 KB PNG
My nigga gets to enjoy the rest of his life with his cute and loyal daughterwife. That's some real shit.
>>
>>23317117
>marrying your oneitis after she gets fucked by some psycho for 20 years
That's pretty much a non-starter
>>
>>23317849
She read that Edmond had died, what was she supposed to do? Keep herself a virgin for 14 years waiting for a ghost? I don’t understand why she had to be punished as if she’d done anything wrong.
>>
>>23318017
She didn't do anything wrong, she's just a fully depreciated asset at that point.
>>
>>23318031
Women aren’t objects.
>>
>>23318110
kek
>>
>>23318110
They are, they're sluts
>>
>>23318017
Stacy would unironically cringe if he tried to marry her at the end of the novel. It was the only way he could maintain frame without looking like a faggot.
>>
>>23317577
>Edmond still decided to abandon her for the young hot asian woman
He didn't abandon her. He exposed Fernand as a complete bastard, which caused Albert and Mercédès to run off in shame, with the former joining the army and the latter to join a convent.
>>
>>23318461
The book practically says she’s guilty because she didn’t have faith that Edmond would ever return. She gets punished and Edmond sees that punishment as justified, he says in the end that the “she was unfaithful” and chose Haydee even though he still loved Mercedes before. All I’m saying is that I think it’s fucked up for the book to try to justify Mercedes punishment while making Edmond get away with Haydee. I didn’t think Mercedes did anything to deserve that.
>>
>>23318542
>I didn’t think Mercedes did anything to deserve that.
She married and fucked the guy that imprisoned him. Meet someone else bitch.
>>
>>23317117
I didn't like it the Count of Monte Cristo, idk anons I think that enjoy more a well written redemption plot than a revenge plot
>>
>>23318542
>“she was unfaithful”
I'm scanning through the text. Nowhere does "unfaithful" appear in the text beyond one part irrelevant to the issue at hand, and Edmond still left her his original nest egg he hid. It sucks for Mercedes but that's the point--in his quest for revenge he fucked over a LOT of other people in the process.
>>
>>23318595
He did find redemption in the end, he forgave the man who made the whole plot against him.
>>
>>23318542
It had been a long time and both Edmond and Mercedes had changed a lot in that time, their getting back together would never have worked. Furthermore if Mercedes was free to move on after Edmond’s imprisonment then Edmond is free to move on after his revenge. They’re both free individuals who can cope with their situation in whatever way they want.

Also there is no justification for Edmond ruining the lives of Mercedes and Albert, Edmond clearly feels guilty about it and even vows to help them.
>>
>>23318017
He's a proto-chud. No forgiveness there.
>>
>>23318017
She knew what Fernand did and stayed married to him anyway.
>>
>>23318610
>he forgave the man who made the whole plot against him.
After a stressful kidnapping experience where most of his funds are stripped and his hair goes white, meanwhile his wife leaves him (even if she's exiled from high society for cheating on him with Villefort and being the mother of Benedetto), and daughter runs off in a scandalous lesbian relationship. He was only forgiven in that he didn't get it as bad as Villefort or Fernand/Morcerf.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.