[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>An entire chapter dedicated to some dipshits drinking wine from a bottle that smashed and three people walking up the stairs
People like this shit?
>>
>>23316779
I just started this book kek
I think I got a gay edition without illustration, thoughbeit.
>>
>>23316779
Midwit absolutely fucking filtered
>>
>>23316790
I don't fucking CARE that shit sucks, faggot! I don't CARE that Jarvis only thinks of business! I don't CARE about Manette being in the north tower!!
>>
>>23316810
And I don't fucking care that you personally have DOGSHIT taste, cockmonger. Eat shit and go back to reading your Pynchon slop
>>
>>23316779
Honestly, anon, that sounds quite interesting. The whole point of Realism is to an unflinching look at something that happens in real life. Authors like Dickens aren't concerned with rushing from one plot point to the next. They want you to live in the scenes, especially when the scenes are uncomfortable.
>>
>>23316779
This was probably the most boring thing I was forced to read in school.
>>
I read a Tale of Two Cities in high school. While I was very interested in the era and historical events, I found the actual novel to be slow and dull. It was published in serial format. I wonder if that encouraged Dickens to stretch out the narrative longer than it needed to be. Or 19th century readers preferred a slower pace.

Either way, I was never interested in reading more from Dickens.
>>
Great Expectations is the superior Dickens work
>>
>>23317411
This book is different from all the others.
>>
>>23317411
I've never understood why this is the Dickens they teach high schoolers. Is it a sort of desire to "double dip" and treat it like a historical text in addition to a novel? You figure great expectations, David Copperfield, Oliver Twist all typify Dickens' overall work better and are probably more engaging for teenagers. Hell, Bleak House has spontaneous combustion.
>>
>>23318071
Oliver Twist should be the required reading instead. It's shorter, sweeter, and doesn't have a, eh, sprawling narrative.
>>
>>23316779
I was bored by Dickens, but I intend to give him another chance.
>>
>>23318034
It bored the hell outta me still...
>>
>>23318082
Start with the early stuff. Sketches by Boz and Pickwick Papers. Many Victorians actually preferred his earlier output to his later output as he got more "serious" and meandering in his plots...Hard to really call any of Dickens serious but you know what I mean. Imo everything up to Copperfield has a different flavor than the stuff he wrote after.
>>
>>23318043
The different book Is Bleak House.
>>
>>23318034
>The Whale and The Squid
>>
>>23316779
Yes.
>>
>>23316779
I started this the other day too. You mean you didn't like the four pages in which the daughter approaches the dad and holds his hand?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.