[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How did a modified Epicurean world-outlook philosophy become the dominant OS running on the brains of the normie multitudes?
>>
>>23315959
Other than some "Modern Stoics", who follow a watered down version of Epicureanism, most people are not Epicurean.
>>
Actually modern people are more Cyrenaics than Epicureans.
>>
>>23315964
Interesting. What makes you say modern stoics are watered down epicureans?
>>
>>23315959
You are likely giving Epicurean thinking too much credit.
>>
>>23315959
I suffer everyday knowing I will never have a wife like this no matter what I do
>>
>>23315973
"Modern Stoics" (by this, I don't mean every modern fan of Stoicism, but the "Modern Stoicism" movement) are liberal atheists who have as their main objective achieving Ataraxia. Stoicism would be about learning about the divine will and following it.

They are watered down Epicureans because they aren't as "ascetic" as the Epicureans. There is also some "added-on" liberalism to it. So, for them, whatever the Democrat Party likes is virtue.
>>
>>23315964
They are though, modified ofcourse, exchanging some ascetic elements with hedonic ones.
>>
Belief in the supernatural was worn down over the centuries by our improved understanding of the natural world.
>>
>>23316017
>atheist
Epicurus believed that gods existed
"For gods there are: our knowledge of them is clear. "( Letter to Menoikeus, 4 paragraph)
>>
>>23316164
He's talking about ryan holliday stoics , I think
>>
>>23316175
I don't know who that guy is.
>>
>>23316136
Epicureanism was about reducing unnecessary desires. Absence of mental pain in a state of ataraxia being the highest desire.

The "normal"/Hollywood/mainstream media view is that for a good life you need to experience many kind of unnecessary pleasures to have a good life. That you need to have experienced many sexual partners (Epicurus was celibate) during your lifetime. That you need to chase status (which according to Epicurean ethics, was an unnatural and unnecessary desire).
If anything, they would likely cancel Epicurus, since sodomy is an unnatural desire.

I'm not an Epicurean and I feel like Epicurean ethics is incomplete, I'm a Christian. But it is an insult to Epicurus to call what we have today of Epicurean.

>>23316164
By Atheist, I mean the "Modern Stoic" types rather than Epicurus.
>>
>>23316147
Supernatural and natural are different subject matters. Knowledge of the natural world can say nothing about the supernatural, pretty much by definition.
>>
I'm shocked by how attractive this female is to me
>>
>>23315959
More like a Mommified Abpicurean... uhhh... World... Hmmm...

I want to wrestle and fuck this woman into submission to breed warrior sons
>>
>>23316407
>>23316975

You guys are probably gay.
>>
>>23316017
>Epicureans
They are not. They are who Plato describes in the Republic as the democratic man. Trying one thing one week and another the next.
>>
>>23317119
100%
>>
>>23315959
used to think 'her face is so nice, why's she doing this weird masc bodybuilding stuff'. then i covered her body, just looking at her face. i wouldn't look twice at her.
she changed the conversation from 'she's nothing to write home about' to 'what a pity that such a beautiful woman should daub herself in this way’
>>
>>23316007
>tattoos
A meth addicted nigger could have her, a dog could have her. Why not you?
>>
>>23316147
Get out of the ivory tower. Belief in spirits, ghosts, and souls is nearly at an all time high among the common folk. Organized religion has suffered because the underlying philosophy of our age is a type of liberalism that corrodes anything that lays down any sort of rules. The reasonable rules of today are tomorrow’s archaic social constructs that serve no purpose. No longstanding institution can sustain itself in such an environment.
>>
>>23317496
>our age is a type of liberalism that corrodes anything that lays down any sort of rules.
That because the oligarchs don't want competition.
>>
>>23317496
>>23317512
But remember Plato, after an age of ultimate debauchery comes an age of ultimate restriction.
>>
>>23317496
>Belief in spirits, ghosts, and souls is nearly at an all time high among the common folk

You can't be serious.

>Organized religion has suffered because the underlying philosophy of our age is a type of liberalism that corrodes anything that lays down any sort of rules. The reasonable rules of today are tomorrow’s archaic social constructs that serve no purpose.

This mode of thinking is irrefutable unless you can appeal to a supernatural power.
>>
File: 171340254655387439.jpg (311 KB, 1249x1874)
311 KB
311 KB JPG
>>23317519
>You can't be serious.
As serious as a healing stone.
>>
>>23315959
Because it's a good one, just see Rome.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.