[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1712339595940960.jpg (340 KB, 1800x1760)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
Favorite literature tropes?
>>
>>23314824
A storyline that suddenly, as if by chance, strays away from the main plot into a new, completely unexpected tangent, so that the main character's initial goals also undergo a change as he's now in a completely different situation. Happens in several Paul Auster books like Mr. Vertigo and Leviathan. This trope is also present in the films Triangle of Sadness and Good Time. The reason I like this trope is that it perfectly illustrates what it feels like to live in a world that seems completely chaotic. Btw, if anyone has any recs on literature that utilizes said trope, I'd love to hear them!
>>
Subtle foreshadowing that you only recognize on a reread.
>>
>>23314824
chapter header explains what will happen in chapter.
>>
Big fat titties
>>
>>23314860
Handful of Dust by Waugh is exactly what you're looking for
>>
>>23314860
Probably one of the most strangely effective books at this I’ve read in a long time is a novel by Neil Oram called Inside Out. He’s a very obscure author and also honestly not a great stylist, but I found him from my interest in authors influenced by the 60s/70s counterculture and topics like Eastern spirituality. Although, again, honestly not a very good stylist, he’s an amazing storyteller and “novelist-of-ideas.” There’s a nice lurid little summary of it here on Goodreads and on its Amazon page. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21193614-inside-out . He also does this twist in his play “The Friends of Deception”, for a very weird and shocking affect.

I guess Philip K. Dick’s VALIS does this too. For yet another relatively mainstream suggestion, Pynchon’s The Crying of Lot 49 also definitely does this (although the impact might be a little spoiled if you already have a sense of what Pynchon’s novels are about and what CL49 is like).
>>
File: Untitled.png (684 KB, 951x959)
684 KB
684 KB PNG
>>23314824
Looks like a ballsack being held up by a hammock.
>>
>>23315103
you have a cleft ballsack?
>>
>>23314971
>>23314989
Thanks for the recs! (: Don't remember much from CL49 (I was like 19 when I read it and didn't get it at all), and haven't read Pynchon since, but loved the Inherent Vice movie, and that used this trope a lot. PKD does this really well, don't remember how exactly it played out in VALIS (although I really loved it) but many of his books do that type of storyline. Perhaps the most exemplary ones would be Now Wait for Last Year, or Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch

Anyway, I'll look into the recs I haven't read, they seem pretty interesting!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.