[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_5829.jpg (69 KB, 443x512)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
I remember reading a passage where socrates was testing the bravery of some boy, by asking whether he would "strip, oil up and wrestle" any challenger that would step up, I found it weird and wanted to go over it again, but I don't remember where I read it, I thought Alcibiades or Theaetetus, but couldn't find anything
>>
>>23314774
I don’t recognize what you are speaking about but Laches (on bravery) and Charmides (dialogue about young naked boy at the gymnasium) are two dialogues to check.
>>
>>23314774
Greco-Roman wrestling was a sport, and it was done nude and oiled (one hell of a stinky sport...blegh).
>>
>>23315806
I checked my plato list and it appears that I've read neither one of those, so it can't be them
>>
>>23314774
At 162b of Theaetetus, Socrates is talking to Theodorus, an old man close in age. Topic is investigating Protagoras' claims.

>THEODORUS: Socrates, the man's a friend, as you just now said. I wouldn't choose then through an agreement of my own for Protagoras to be refuted, any more than I would choose to resist you against my opinion. So take Theaetetus back. He appeared in any case just now to comply with you harmoniously.
>SOCRATES: Would you really, Theodorus, should you go to Sparta, to the palaestras there, would you claim it as your right, on observing everyone else naked, and some in poor shape, not to display in turn your looks (species) by stripping alongside them?
>THEODORUS: Well, what's your impression, if they were going to leave it up to me and obey me (be persuaded by me)? Just as in the present case I suspect I'll persuade you to allow me to observe and not to drag me, stiff as I already am, to the stripping-place, and to wrestle against the younger and more supple.
>>
So he - challenged him to do something extraordinarily gay with him? That checks out.
>>
>>23314774
Do you know where I can get an English edition of the Alcibiades? I've found a French edition published by Flammarion but not one in English
>>
>>23316130
Carnes Lord has a translation included in an edition of translations of shorter dialogues called The Roots of Political Philosophy: Ten Forgotten Socratic Dialogues, and then David Johnson has a translation of it for Focus Classical Library that includes Alcibiades Minor, Alcibiades' speech in the Symposium, and the fragments Aeschines' dialogue on Alcibiades.
>>
>>23316076
I think this was it, thanks
>>23316087
Yes, that's also not how you use a thought line or whatever it's called
>>
>>23316130
Just listen to this
https://youtu.be/nDvzIOEyCe8?si=3u1BJgs2GPHEPOOT
>>
>>23316130
Thank you so much. Which of those editions would you recommend?

I previously asked Reddit and their suggestions weren't very helpful -- one pointed me to the cambridge edition which an amazon review said was in greek, another told me to purchase Plato's complete works which is simply trying to use a sledgehammer to kill a fly.
>>
>>23316520
Depends on what you're looking for, the Johnson edition is worth it almost soley for including the Aeschines material, which is otherwise hard to find in translation, but the "Roots of Political Philosophy" edition also has the best available translations of nine other underappreciated dialogues with commentaries. If you're less thrilled about reading the other short dialogues, go for the Johnson, since comparison of Plato's Socrates and Alcibiades with those of Aeschines is rewarding, especially with all the still popular arguments over Plato distorting Socrates for his own ends (Aeschines' is closer to Plato’s depiction than Xenophon's, and he, as with Plato, emphasizes Eros as having the same philosophical weight as in Plato).

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.