[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Anger.jpg (38 KB, 331x365)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>writing a novel
>come up with a cool name for a character
>google it
>name already used in another series
>come up with cool idea for setting
>google it
>already done in another work
>come up with a cool premise for an arc
>google it
>already done in another book/movie
>>
If you plan on having everything original in your novel then you're not even gonna start writing it
>>
>>23312657
This is why we have chatgpt, got a bunch of unique cool names from it
>>
>>23312657

There is on idea that has absolutely not been done yet.
Write a dark souls style novel. It needs to actually be like dark souls not shit like book of the new sun which is written 100 years before computers even existed and is nothing whatsoever like it.

People want it, just nobody can figure out how to write it as you couldnt just write it like a normal novel.
>>
>>23312657
We've had people bitching about this problem since Ancient Egypt. Go write your book.
>>
File: 1692992861363898.png (480 KB, 695x548)
480 KB
480 KB PNG
>come up with totally original names
>when I tell them to people they say they arent good
>>
File: 1643122185955.jpg (52 KB, 579x570)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>writing a novel
>come up with a name for a princess
>later on think to myself: wait, is that an Adventure Time character?
>then I think: fuck it, I'm using it anyway.
>months pass
>eventually decide to Google it to figure out if she is an Adventure Time character and I'm committing cryptomnesia or not
>turns out no, there isn't an Adventure Time princess with that name
I am such a great author. I'm pretty much the best author who ever lived. I don't know how you guys live day to day being such idiots.
>>
I recently watched Princess Bride without knowing about the cult around it. I assumed it was the typical 80's filler you'd see after midnight in TV, but it was fun. The story is generic to the point of being campy. It convinced me that execution is really all that matters.
>>
>>23312657
"The writer is not afraid of mere critics—they belong to his own craft and he is ready to fight them with all professional weapons, including contempt—but he dreads the smile of imaginary readers, men or women, whom he has never met and who possibly do not exist, but whom he sees, in his mind's eye, as the realisation of all he would wish to be, mastering his subject as if they were giants. The obsession becomes worse when the formidable reader is known to be in the flesh. Most of Angellier's pupils have become writers: I have never known one who did not shiver at the idea of his master's good-natured criticisms, ruthless because they pointed out so infallibly the incompleteness of the disciple's outlook. Yet, Angellier himself was not always the olympian he seemed to be: the moment he thought of his own works he frequently showed anxiety or even depression, wondering at what height his inspiration really placed him [...] Nobody can tell how many sterling literary vocations have been ruined by the notion that it is useless to repeat what must have been said many times in the past. Men like Amiel, or, before him, Joubert or Doudan, only escaped from this phantasm by writing things which they imagined nobody else would ever read. On the few occasions when they did write for the public, the cramping influence became visible at once."
>>
all of the characters in my stories are named John Smith. even the women.
>>
>>23312671
It's not impossible but no writer alive has the humility to deliver an experience like dark souls in writing. It has to be a very detached narrative of a journey through great ruins with no internal monologue from the protagonist. Absolutely no indication of what the character might be feeling beyond hinting at displays of resourcefulness and tenacity. Go ham with detailed descriptions of the environments visited and build on the world through found texts and architecture but no inserting your fucking "contemplations" on how the hero feels. No writer can suppress his ego enough to write such a story.
>>
>>23312724
Show me 1 (one) original name that has never been used in any fictional work.
>>
>>23315009
Ebenezer Scrooge
>>
>>23312657
My method for naming characters:
>open Google Maps
>go to large city with names for streets (not numbers)
>find street names in anything but the most suburban areas (usually these have names like "Whispering Meadows Ct.", forget that), pick anything built between 1950 and 1990
>start mixing and matching names, editing if necessary

Looking at Houston:
>Trevor Winthrop (corruption of Tavenor Lane and Winthrop Lane)
>Martha Fisher (E. Martha Lane and N. Fisher Ct.)
>Topeka McNair (McNair Street and Topeka St.)
>Tim Jensen (Tim St. and Jensen Dr.)
>Ashton Tidwell (Aston St. + W. Tidwell Road)
>>
>>23312657
Everything you do is something a person just like you also does do. Everything you say and think is something a person just like you also says and thinks.

Insofar as that is true, searching for originality n that way is merely a quest toward personal dissatisfaction and unfulfillment.

They who imagine truth in untruth, and see untruth in truth, never arrive at truth, but follow vain desires. They who know truth in truth, and untruth in untruth, arrive at truth, and follow true desires. - the Buddha, allegedly (according to the Dhammapada)
>>
>>23312865
what book is this excerpt from, if you don't mind sharing? I like the sentences.
>>
>>23315151
I’ve done this. Often streets are named after people who’ve lived there so it adds authenticity
>>
>>23315189
Art of Thinking by Ernest Dimnet
>>
>>23313311
Real chad autors do this.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.