[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: aetius.jpg (188 KB, 463x892)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>
Stop obsessing over the roman empire midwit
>>
New History: The Empire in the East
>>
gibbon is a hoot
>>
>>23312876
Why
>>
>>23312889
"why" is something fun? difficult question
well, I guess his mode of exposition is nice, his prose is fantastic, he layers a sort of sardonic mood on top of everything that's very pleasant, and on top of it all is the fact that it's a history written in the late 18th century, so you get to experience the views of people back then (there are some wacky theories) about people further back, which is history in history. I think the same arguments for reading him could be made as could be made for reading herodotus
>>
>>23312653
Learn Latin
>>
>>23313024
I'm sorry i though hoot meant hack or something, esl
>>
>>23312889
It's still very nice to read Gibbon because of his writting style. But you have to keep in mind he was refuted long ago
>>
reading about Majorian's attempts to save Rome makes me sad
>>
>>23312653
"The Later Roman Empire" by A. H. M. Jones (practically created the field, but very long and complex and does not detail political history very much) or "The Fall of the Roman Empire" by Peter Heather.
>>
Ammianus Marcellinus
Read his work.
>>
>>23314224
>"The Later Roman Empire" by A. H. M. Jones
While I can't disagree because of how important it still is to the field this isn't exactly something I'd recommend to somebody asking on 4chan
>>
>>23314930
WHAT ABOUT pROCOPIUS?
>Some historians have criticized Propocius's description of some barbarians, for example, he dehumanized the unfamiliar Moors as "not even properly human". This was however, inline with Byzantine ethnographic practice in late antiquity.
>>
>>23313151
Ha gay
>>
>>23313895
By Who?
>>
>>23317092
>he dehumanized the unfamiliar Moors as "not even properly human"
where's the lie?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.