[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (3.96 MB, 1920x1080)
3.96 MB
3.96 MB PNG
>Last book you read
>Current book
>Thought? Are you doing a study of anything in particular?
>>
Extension du domaine de la lutte
Les Soirées de Médan
I am studying French and also French naturalism
I'm having a good time
>>
>Last Book
Enquiry on Human Understanding
>Current Book
Essay on human understanding
>Thought?
Trying to learn more about Anglo philosophy specifically. DESU I found not much disagreeable in Hume's Enquiry. It seemed much less like a philosophy and more like a starting point for philosophical research, correcting the overstatements and mistakes of previous systems. I don't think the "bundles of ideas" can adequately account for how we come to a clear framing of universals.
>>
>last book
Train Dreams. It was a good story but lacked much depth beyond vague allusions towards ideas of self. It was short enough that its faults did not detract much but those faults leave me not very interested reading Johnson more, probably will read Tree of Smoke still since it did win the National Book Award which is a solid award and generally not given to works with the faults of Train Dreams.
>current book
The Collected Breece D'J Pancake. So far liking it quite a bit, even the rather heavy handed first person narrative of Trilobites was good and managed to move past his limitations as a writer. Amazing how much growth he shows after it and how quickly he grew as a writer, still had a long ways to go but he probably would have been one of the greats if he had not killed himself.
>Thought?
I am between projects and enjoying the downtime, reading what I please instead of research. Next novel comes out in May and I will have a month or so of little free time and then will probably resume following my whims until I find my direction for the next project. Had a great short story idea last night which I promptly forgot the important details of, tonight I will redo everything I did last night which generally works for bringing back the idea, I know the idea was influenced by something I did/read/listened too but that is it.
>>
>Last book you read
The Tartar Steppe
>Current book
Stoner
>Thought?
Not much, I'm just grinding to read some good books from lit top 100 list.
>>
>>23311505
>Last book you read
Absalom, Absalom, by William Faulkner
>Current book
The Devil in the Backlands, by Graciliano Ramos
>Thought?
I've been trying to get a hold of "difficult" books this year, in order to challenge myself
these past two have been hard, but ultimately rewarding reads, probably the greatest books I've ever read
the current book was written in my native language, but it feels like a completely different dialect, and the prose is just outstanding
might move on to Ulysses next
>>
>last
The Great Railway Bazaar: By Train Through Asia by Paul Theroux
An interesting trip by an unpleasant man. Every now and then he would write something interesting about a landscape or a temple or a person that would make me think maybe he’s not all that awful. Then he would be a dick over something petty. The parts about Vietnam and India were probably the most interesting.

>current
The Way of the World by Nicholas Bouvier. I’m a little more than halfway through. I enjoyed their trip through Yugoslavia and Turkey then they get stuck in Azerbaijan for a winter because of impassable roads and Border difficulties with the Shah’s Iran. A lot of nice moments and portraits of the Armenians and Kurds they encounter.
They’re finally back on the road again and able to enter Iran. After a long winter’s wait..

>thought
Will probably read The Air Conditioned Nightmare by Henry Miller next. After that I’m going to pick up 1919 by John Dos Passos. I read the 1st book of the USA trilogy last year and 1919 is book 2. The first one was a fairly quick read despite the modernist techniques.
>>
>Last book
Aednan - Linnea Axelsson
>Current
The Canterbury Tales
>Thoughts
Verse is an objectively inferior way to tell a narrative story. Can't blame Chaucer since the novel wasn't really much of a thing in his time, but Aednan would have been far better as an actual novel and not just an "epic" in verse that held little
>>
File: bloobloo.gif (1.33 MB, 1200x1122)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB GIF
>Last book you read
Hadith: Muhammad's Legacy in the Medieval and Modern World
>Current book
The Way to Nicaea
>Thought? Are you doing a study of anything in particular?
Finished up a general study of Islam with that book on the history of hadith analysis. A resolution of mine was to start learning about world religions. Reading there foundational texts, general analysis of history/beliefs/practices, as well as selections from notable theologians/saints in the history of the religion.
Taking a break now with stuff i normally read (christian theology). Soon I'll move on to a study of Judaism.
>>
>>23311581
>I'm just grinding to read some good books from lit top 100 list
cringe
>>
>>23311587
Can you tell me which edition you're reading and at which page the deal with the devil at the crossroads happens?
>>
>>23311677
Are you the anon who posted that other thread where you despaired at the language? Have you ever read Spenser or Scott, Pope or Milton, or any other longform verse narratives?
>>
>Last book
Every man for himself and God against all, by Werner Herzog
>Current book(s)
Death in Venice, by Thomas Mann
American Psycho, by B.E. Ellis
>Thought
Honestly I really like how Herzog writes, I read also his previous books. This one is just a recollection of events of his life in no particular order. Kinda feels like a grandpa telling you some really unhinged but interesting stories between his naps.
I am a painter, I read pretty much everything for my pleasure and curiosity, but I try to find inspiration as much as possible in every book.
>>
>>23311505
>Last
Henry III 1207-1258
>Current
Henry III 1258-1272
>Thoughts
I didn't intend to read the second one because of how long both of these are but I love them. I've already did a study sort of thing on the Anglo-Saxon Kings at the start of the year so I don't think I'll be going onto the other Kings maybe besides Edward I. My main aims are to finish the Roman historians for the Republic and look more at Byzantium's primary sources.
>>
>>23311705
how so?
>>
>>23311505
>le morte d'arthur volume 1
>le morte d'arthur volume 2
I don't know if it's because I'm ESL but it's not only a slog but boring as well.
>>
File: 1600865005475.jpg (58 KB, 1000x1024)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>last
The New York Trilogy

>current

>thought?
Post modernism is a cheap way to avoid writing stories that make any sense
>>
>Last book you read
Paradise Regained
>Current book
The Greek Alexander Romance
>>
>>23312730
>The New York Trilogy
Rank the stories? For me, 3>1>2.
>>
>>23311505
Poems of Wang Wei
Poems of Du Fu (also the Chu Ci and the Wen Xuan)
Obviously focused on Chinese poetry. My thoughts are it's absolutely bursting with vibrant beauty and soul.
>>
>>23311505
Pensées
Of Human Bondage
Both are pretty incredible. I've been exploring the bible now since Pascal was the tipping point for me as far as believing in Christ. I can't believe the whole time it wasn't just a larp.
>>
>>23311505
>last book
Remains of the Day
>current book
Gilead
>thoughts
They're both very comfy and well written, super enjoyable lighter reads that also go quite deep if one is willing to look at them from certain angles
>study of anything in particular
I'm a bit taken up with academics rn so I don't have time for a thorough study of a topic but I am setting up understanding German idealism in depth as a summer project of sorts
>>
>>23311505
>Last
Monsieur Pain. It was okay, not Bolaño's best.
>Current
L'adversaire by Carrere. Brushing up on my french. It started out okay.
>A study
I've been reading Meditations on the Tarot for a while and it got me hooked. I'm writing down notes on the Arcana and thinking about how to apply their teachings.
>>
>the diary of a rapist
>norah vincent's "self made man"
diary of a rapist was'nt part of any study but self made man is sort of connected to my interest in tomboys in american literature. so far i've also read the hidden hand, little women, what katy did, o pioneers, and my antonia.
>>
>Last book
The Alienist
Conflicted about this one. I like its ironic tone and wit, but the chronicle approach to it just makes it a subpar story for me.

>Current book
Eumeswil
The Beginning of Heaven and Earth: The Sacred Book of Japan's Hidden Christians

>Thought?
Not really. I've been wanting to read a Jünger's novel for quite some time now.

For the second one, since quitting Catholicism I have become more interested in religion as a study subject. I plan to read Eliade next.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.