[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: output(6).jpg (472 KB, 1024x768)
472 KB
472 KB JPG
I live in Finland atm and here we have very good public libraries. Nearly all municipality has it's own library and in many places you can order books to there from other libraries in that county. It's free for all.
>>
I'm a Metso man myself
>>
I'm from Bulgaria. When I was a kid in the 90s and I was spending my summers in the God forsaken village of my grandparents there was a working library. I wonder if it's still functional. There was also school libraries in my elementary and high-school. So yeah, I think we're pretty much covered, now the only thing that remains is for people to actually read stuff.
>>
>>23310922
I actually found a site with all the libraries and statistics about them, apparently the village libraries are still functional. Pic is from the one from my childhood (it really seemed bigger when I was a kid, but it's just a room)

>year 2022
>inhabitants - 1010
>library users - 136
>children - 39
>books borrowed - 1232
>>
>>23310959
Reminds me of my primary school library, similar size but much more cramped with books. Pure soul.
>>
>>23310522
I'm in England, where the libraries have all turned into internet cafes.
The space devoted to actual books gets smaller every year. On my last visit I did a quick literary census, and found nothing on the shelves by Greene, Ballard, Waugh or even Dickens.
Nobody in this country reads anymore, and the few municipal libraries that haven't closed down reflect that fact.
This is the beginning of the end for western civilisation.
>>
I'm an American and out libraries exist so homeless crackheads can have air conditioning.
>>
I live in a small town in a peripheral European country. There is one public library, but it's basically a place for secondary school students to gather and do their school group assignments. The small catalogue has been adjusted to this and is comprised of high school mandatory readings for the most part (some of them abridged to suit juvenile readers). The only people older than 18 that I (rarely) see there are some unsuspecting people in their twenties seeking for some quiet place to prepare some civil servant test, I assume.
>>
>>23310522
I live in america and our libraries are where homeless go to charge their phone and jerk off
>>
>>23310889
If you are talking about Tampere's Metso I just to use the same library:D

>>23310922>>23310959
Seems like a nice system.

>>23311234
Here also many people go to libraries to study. But there is a still room for books.

>>23311247>>23311560
Sound comfy.

>>23311388
Nice
>>
>>23311560
Charge they* phone
>>
in canada most schools have pretty sizable libraries. There is only one public in my area that I don't use often but last I tried to borrow a book it was on hold by 55 others so I assume they're doing fine.
>>
>>23311647
you right you right
>>
>>23311234
nothing by Dickens in an English library? I assume everything is out on loan then
>>
>>23310522
It's literally all romance novels :(
>>
>>23311560
>>23311247
Thats your fault for living in either New York or Portland, Oregon
I live out in the comfy country with 0 homeless
>>
>>23311388
I live in Spain and libraries here are similar. At least the books are good: I have access to most classics, well-known Spanish authors and history books
>>
>>23310522
>it's own library
>it's
Learn English, Vaino.
>>
I work for a library and it is very depressing, and often suicide appears to be more attractive than working in this job. One might imagine that working in a library entails having a quiet, spacious office in which to organize the library's inner layout, making sure books are ordered and delivered on a timely basis, overseeing new technology being implemented and so forth. I am 40 years old. For thirteen years now I have stood and sat at the front desk of a large urban library whose most loyal denizens are the homeless and the clinically insane. Schizophrenics are drawn here like moths to a flame. Alcoholics come here to snooze and disrupt. Niggers crowd the aisles and spread their toxic subhuman behaviour. I thought I would be advising enthusiastic kids what to read next, or helping elderly peasants become introduced to the world of literature in order to enjoy their final years thanks to the offerings of high culture. Instead I stand silently and alone as my miserable colleagues discuss their boring husbands or browse facebook or holidays websites to look out for the cheapest package deals. I am forced to replace urine-stained seat cushions. Forced to "kindly" "usher" out the bums who vomit on themselves and the constantly wide-eyed middle-aged women who start to scream and talk gibberish at a rapid pace if I approach them and tell them we are closing up. What a pathetic life I lead. I imagined I would be like Larkin, like Borges, like the kind of refined, reserved kind of man whose job allows him an air of mystique and glum erudition. Instead I am no better than a janitor who has found himself at the till of a supermarket. In 2008 I had a brief sexual affair with a student girl who spent a month here as part of her training to become a librarian. We screwed in the storage room several times a day. It was purely physical on her part but deeply emotional on mine. Eventually she realized she didn't want this kind of job and admitted she felt sorry for me and thought fucking me would make me less depressed and her less experienced. She is now working for a marketing company and is earning more than me despite being a member of a different generation. Please kill me. Please. Please. Please God let this be the day I am struck by a truck on my lonesome drive home. Let this be the night the niggers break into my home and garrote me as I lay sleepless staring silently toward the ceiling.
>>
Don't you have to register in American libraries or that's just another "muh freedumbs" thing? Here you have to show your ID and they issue you a card for the entrance. You can't just waltz in and start shitting yourself.
>>
>>23314072
no refunds
>>
>>23311627
I wouldn't say being screamed at by a homeless thing is comfy
>>
>>23313345
So it's a place poor smart people can rent dvds and manga. Out in bumfuck, the loan system doesn't even have common classics, nevermind alternatives.
>>
>>23314072
I enjoyed reading about your experience. I think it would be neat if we all wrote an essay about our jobs. Sorry it’s so rough tho.
>>
>>23314072
so get a new job? retard
>>
someone killed themself in front of my local library a few months ago

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.