[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1708533478370999.png (9 KB, 499x499)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
to all the start with the greekcels, if you arent just a pretentious arm chair wikipedia philosopher, tell me which books and philosophers to start and to end with.
>>
>>23300579
Start with Russell (PBUH) then move on to the Vienna Circle positivists (PBUH) then A.J. Ayer (gigaPBUH)
>>
File: 1000009994.jpg (32 KB, 327x500)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>23300579
start with Plato/Aristotle
then read pic related
Then read Gregory Palamas
>>
>>23300579
My actual pipeline:
>Thomist manualism (Catholic school) > Aristotle > Plato > Plotinus (only a few weeks) > Kant (year) > Schopenhauer > Nāgārjuna > nominalism > materialism
>>
>>23300579
>tell me which books and philosophers to start and to end with.

Plato (Euthyphro, Apology, Phaedo, Meno, Symposium, Phaedrus, Theaetetus) -> -> Cicero (De Natura Deorum, Tusculan Disputations) -> Augustine (Confessions, De Trinitate) -> Descartes (Discourse on Method, Meditations on First Philosophy), -> Spinoza (Ethics) -> Bacon (Novum Organum, first book only) -> Locke (Essay Concerning Human Understanding) -> Hume (Enquiry) -> Kant (First Critique) -> Plato (Philebus, Parmenides, Timaeus, Sophist, Statesman) -> Aristotle (Organon, De Anima, De Caelo, Metaphysics) -> Plotinus (Enneads) -> Proclus (Elements of Theology) -> Scotus and Ockham (Both have "philosophical writings editions from Hackett) -> William James (Essays on Radical Empiricism, The Sentiment of Rationality) -> Peirce (Essential Peirce volume 1, the Harvard Lectures, The Law of Mind, Evolutionary Love, A Neglected Argument for the reality of God) -> Hegel (PoS, SoL) -> Deleuze (Difference and Repetition) -> Whitehead (Process and Reality) -> Max Stirner (The Ego and Its Own) -> Dao De Jing -> Nagarjuna -> The Avatamsaka Sutra -> Devotional Hymns to Ra

and no i haven't read all of this.
>>
>>23300579
Beatles > Dylan > Morrissey > Wilde > Ruskin > Carlyle > Hitler > Saint Thomas
>>
>>23300579
I started out as a Kantian, moved to Aristotle but now according to some “research” allegedly I come close Frederich Wilhelm Joseph Schelling though I’ve never actually read him, despite owning two of his works.
>>
>>23300628
you can't have whitehead and deleuze without bergson I'm afraid
at least you have plotinus
>>
Plotinus, Leibniz, Bergson, Whitehead, Davidson
>>
>>23301066
>you can't have whitehead and deleuze without bergson I'm afraid
yes you can.
>>
Metaphysics is a waste of time.
>>
>>23300579
PreSocratics, Plato, Aristotle; Homer, Hesiod, Theognis; Aristophanes, Euripides, Sophocles, Aeschylus.
>>
File: combine_images (11).jpg (336 KB, 750x1163)
336 KB
336 KB JPG
This one was good, although I'd include Proclus' Elements, Aristotle, and some Aquinas. Not sure what I'd sub out. Boheme probably for one.
>>
File: St.-Augustine.jpg (130 KB, 1000x803)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
I started and stopped at Platonism, it just makes the most sense to me. I'm already not a materialist so it's easy for me to accept the reality of the Forms.

The only slight modification was when I read Augustine's City of God and he tweaks Platonism by adding God as the source of all the Forms and the one who maintains them. So I suppose technically I am an Augustinian, metaphysically.
>>
>>23301073
you literally cannot
>>
>>23300579
You great fucking buffoon! There is no end!
>>
Picrel is a great introduction, I’d reccomend reading it first whomever you start with. Keep in mind that everything he says is incorrect, but it gives a good survey of epistemic & metaphysical problems
>>
File: IMG_0497.jpg (606 KB, 1016x1533)
606 KB
606 KB JPG
>>23301482
>>
I started with the Greeks a long time ago
I loved the Iliad and the Odyssey
I loved Thucydides
Aeschylus is my favourite playwright although I have to say I have a weak spot for Euripides even if that makes me feel ashamed
I don't care about philosophy at all
>>
>>23301079
Imagine thinking this
>Dude bruh the understanding the fundamental source code of reality is a waste of time... It's not like this could potentially give you the ultimate keys to mastering space and time bruh. Just study business instead!
>>
>>23300579
start with the pre socratics... Anaxagoras, Parmenides...
then go to Plato and Aristotle...
then read all the rationalists and empiricists like Descartes, Leibniz, Hume or Locke...
then proceed to Immanuel Kant...
it ends here...
>>
Started out with Kant and moved back to Parmenides once i realized that the crafty midget couldn't escape Hume. And that all faggots who came after were just inventing names and concepts in Kant's autistic tradition but had the same problems he had about the necessity of such insipid categorization pathology that infests post-kantian metaphysics.
>>
File: 1713558344684.jpg (27 KB, 489x499)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
Unpopular but factually right: Start with STEM.

If your metaphysics contradicts physics and math then your metaphysics is wrong. In order to engage with metaphysics you first need to know the edge cases of observable reality. For example determinism (debunked by quantum mechanics), absolute time (debunked by relativity), or universal logical decidability (debunked by Gödel) are invalid assumptions and hence any metaphysics based on them is doomed to be a pathetic failure.
>>
>>23304132
>For example determinism (debunked by quantum mechanics),
>absolute time (debunked by relativity)
You don't actually know what you think you know.
>>
>>23304147
Do you have questions?
>>
Naive realism -> Berkeleyan idealism without God -> metzinger scientism illusionism -> direct realism again -> got depressed -> flirted with schophenaur and mainlander style pesimisstic metaphysics -> realize nobody knows a fuckin thing and metaphysics is just cringetards ranting about their grand (unprovable) theories -> queitism
>>
>>23304132
But what if observable reality is lying to us?
>>
>>23301066
I found Bergson a chore to read so I just dropped him
>>
>>23305014
Cool bro keep wasting your life trying to answer questions people have wasted their time on for thousands of years! I'll be over here having sex - you have fun though ;)
>>
>>23304132
> a photon is both a wave and a particle; or any other particle eccentricity that exists in subatomic particles, therefore the sun will not rise tomorrow
This is how ridiculous your argument sounds.
>>
>>23305016
Math cannot lie. Observable reality merely confirms the mathematical ideas we conceived a priori.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (111 KB, 500x625)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>23300579
Do you want to know? Do you really want to know?

Plato -> Aristotle -> Jesus -> Church Fathers -> Rest of the Orthodox patristics -> Holy Sacraments -> Monastery -> Theosis
>>
>>23304132
Unironically a good post. Metaphysics with no regard for science is like philosophy of language with no regard for linguistics, or literary theory done by someone who doesn't read.
>>
>>23300579
>Materialism > Nietzsche > deism > perennialism > Eastern Orthodoxy
>>
Materialism>realism>idealism
After that, I took Berkeley's advice to heart and started cultivating virtue
>>
>>23306107
Berkley was a Christian bishop, you missed his adivce entirely
>>
>>23306110
Yeah yeah, he wanted me to be an anglican, I know. All in all, I am content with the thought of the eternal spirit existing and place my trust in it every day. Now all (most) I think about is ethics.
>>
>>23305574
le sex
>>
>>23305779
>Holy Sacraments
Who wrote this book?
>>
bump
>>
>>23305775
Some theorists posit that math is merely “invented” so we invent our own reality.
>>
>>23305574
With your own mother
>>
File: doubtposting.png (150 KB, 720x730)
150 KB
150 KB PNG
>>23300579
>Read Jordan Peterson
>...
>Read Jordan Peterson
Yep, it's academia time.
>>
>>23300579
Yes this is what I missed out on, knowing.
>>
>>23300579
1) Guenon
2) Shankara

That’s it, you’ve reached the final redpill
>>
Start and finish with the ancient Eleatics and Daoists. Then you'll realise the last 2,400 years of western philosophy/theology is dead on arrival.
>>
>>23300590
real niggas went from Aristotle > Bacon > Berkeley > Mach > AJ. Ayer

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.