[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713999559086145.png (3 KB, 576x597)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
Someone I know is gay, and has identified with it for years. Recently however, he told me he isn't part of the LGBT community and doesn't want to be seen as part of it, but still made it very clear he identifies as gay. I support him, I don't think it's any of my business to say how he can identify, I'm just curious as to what some of you guys think about this.
>>
>>35531607
Reading that with no other context makes me immediately assume it's someone who is a rightoid and doesn't think they'll put him up against the wall if they get a chance because he's "one of the good ones".
>>
>>35531607
Generally means that there's some aspect (imaginary or real) about the community that he doesn't want to be associated with. Just because he's attracted to men doesn't mean he's inherently progressive.
>>
I'm gay but not a part of LGBT community, because I'm a shut-in that's not a part of any "community".
>>
>>35531619
To give them a little more benefit of a doubt
He probably felt alienated as a gay man. He probably sought out queer content online to feel less alienated. He found people he thought were annoying. He felt even more alienated. He started becoming reactionary. Then Online also starts showing them a bunch of anti queer content and he becomes radicalized.
I think this is what normally happens to these kind of queers. They're still shitty dumbasses but I know it just comes from a place of pain and loneliness really
>>
>>35531607
Who gives a shit? It's his life.
>>
>>35531619
>>35531636
>>35531665
I don't get these assumptions, also don't feel like part of the community but it's not out of any reactionary thinking. I'm bi which makes me too gay to fit in with the straights and too straight to feel at home with the gays.
>>35531639
based
>>
>>35531761
It's the 'doesn't want to be seen aspart of it' line
I'm not part of any lgbt community but that's because my city is painfully het. I wouldn't say I don't wanna be seen as part of it though unless I had some distaste for it.
>>
>>35531837
I understand the sentiment still, just like any group of people the queers can be and often are insufferable. Nothing wrong with not wanting to be seen as part of the group when you're more different than alike.
>>
>>35531607
There are plenty of gay people that don't like the way the mainstream "LGBT community" is, desu I'm one of them
>>
>>35531607
wow hes just like me
>>
>>35531607
Depends on his definitions of the lgbt community
Convention suggests that the lgbt community is simply a term to refer to sexual minorities as a whole, I.e everyone who isn’t a cisgender heterosexual
However in a vacuum it can imply an actual community that has a social structure and a web of complex relationships, and it can also be broadly aligned with lgbt activism

There are a few possible interpretations of his statement then
There’s the one that he’s dissociated from his sexual orientation, and as such he only identifies as gay
There’s also two ways in which this can be a political statement, he could be exclusively identifying as gay rather than as lgbt in a similar vein to the get the l out legbutts (fuck you got my rights) or he could be expressing that he’s gay but is not into lgbt activism (log cabin gay republicans tend to say that kind of stuff)
Finally he could be antisocial and not be a member of a physical network of lgbt community.
>>
>>35532989
This.
>>
>>35533174
>Finally he could be antisocial and not be a member of a physical network of lgbt community.
Just because you're not part of a community doesn't make you antisocial. We don't steal your cars, we just stay home.
>>
>>35531607
>I'm just curious as to what some of you guys think about this.
It's fucking retarded. The LGBT community is the reason he can say this stuff to you without having to fear getting imprisoned or his skull beaten in with a stone as soon as he leaves his home.

Remember that homosexuality was illegal in most of Europe until the 90s. If you are 30 and from Europe, the decriminalization happend within your lifetime
>>
>>35531607
I wouldn't want to be associated with some of the letters either.
>>
>>35533276
I'm from a country where homosexuality was decriminalized in the 19th century, so I'm allowed to dislike the LGBT community.
>>
>>35533788
You're allowed to dislike any and every community. Fuck communities, they've done the absolute most horrific crimes known to humanity.
>>
>>35531607
I’m trans and I feel the same.
>>
I'm trans and I'm not LGBT either. LGBT is a feminist political interest group. It's a wing of liberal feminism. While I dislike homophobia and transphobia generally, I don't support the feminist agenda.
>>
>>35531607
we call them “retards”
>>
>>35533276
>The LGBT community is the reason he can say this
no that's the constitution you're thinking of. lgbt community only makes people hate queers. judges, congress, executive politicians, and the text that gives them power are the ones who protect you.
>Europe
who tf lives in europe
>>
>>35531607
I feel the same to be honest, I don't want to associate with many of these letters, or even most if you turn the acronym into the alphabet soup

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.