[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hedges.png (595 KB, 750x329)
595 KB
595 KB PNG
Can we discuss landscaping and other passive defenses that could help us?

I have heard of rose bushes under windows and thorny bushes as hedges around property. I need more ideas.
>>
>>61567454
Rabbits or gophers digging ankle twisting holes for thieves to cripple themselves in the dark
>>
>>61567477
Dude, you joke but I once, midspring, across my neighbor land almost ripped my fucking ankle off in a groundhog burrow.
>>
>>61567454
The entire state of Arizona
>entire front and backyard is gravel, very loud to walk on no matter how careful you tread
>every bush and plant is sharp and wants to kill you
>any local pests and critters want to sting, bite, and kill you
>during the day all surfaces are 500 degrees
>almost every suburban neighborhood home has a walled in backyard
Not to mention every single person owns several firearms
>>
Locust trees are great. Black locust grow crazy quick and spread by runners and honey locust thorns are long and hard enough to puncture tires.
>>
>>61567505
This sounds like a home defense system I'd make in minecraft.
>>
I had 65 acres in western NC. The wild rose was tough to cut even with my steel bladed FS-250. Brambles/blackberry is tough but wild rose will fuck anything up.
>>
>>61567505
my favorite are these cat's claw bushes. they're kinda vine like but not really and they grow in massive thickets. it's really cool when you step forward and one wraps around your leg just right and tightens down.
>>
File: blackberry.jpg (1.3 MB, 2048x1356)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>61567454
Himalayan Blackberries grow like weeds and are covered in sharp thorns, growing them around the perimeter of your property basically guarantees no one is going to approach through there without clearing the brush first. Only downside is they might try to consume your entire yard.
>>
>>61567505
you forgot the best part:
a fent zombie lurking in every shadow!
>>
>>61567454
They used to say black locust would make a hedge deer high, pig dense and bull strong (something like that).
>>
File: pyracantha.jpg (151 KB, 1280x720)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>61567454
pic related. it's a climbing vine, so you can put it on fences and stuff. it looks pretty, but it secretes an oil that burns like a motherfucker if it touches your skin, let alone once it pokes a hole in you, and then your blood is boiling.
>>
>>61567454
I was born and raised in Hawaii and I think I have PTSD from the centipedes (and the massive fucking roaches). I would not want to crawl through dense vegetation there. They won't kill you but they look like they were pulled from my nightmares.
>>
>>61567998
Mountain acres sounds nice. I'm trying to get land out in Swans quarter for retirement.
>>
File: 24567776845634534.jfif.jpg (760 KB, 1800x1350)
760 KB
760 KB JPG
>>61567454
>surround yard in hitch hiker plants to ward of thieves
>get dogs to alert and scare off thieves
>waste entire day removing hitchhikers from interior yard and from dogs
>>
File: 5640478.jpg (495 KB, 1111x834)
495 KB
495 KB JPG
Trifoliate Orange
>thorns are 1 to 2 inches long
>thorns cause contact dermatitis that also blisters in sunlight
>CIA approved as a natural barbed wire, a thicket can reportedly stop a speeding semitruck
>creates fruits that can be eaten
>good up to zone 6
>hardy against disease
>lasts for decades
>makes for great hedges
>>
>>61568070
Fent zombies aren't an Arizona thing. You're thinking of New Mexico or California.
>>
>>61567519
Locust trees are fucking evil bastards. They grow fast and your neighbors will hate you if you plant them on purpose, especially if they have pastures. A ring of these things with some rose hedges would probably force all kinds of two legged vermin to approach your home through the official drive.
>>
>>61568819
>thorns cause contact dermatitis that also blisters in sunlight
Okay these are all great ideas, and I have hypothetically considered thorny bushes as aesthetically pleasing obstacles. But are they safe around kids, pets and birds? And how the fuck do you trim it? If it's possible to manage enough to trim, why not use razor wire, which you also don't have to trim
>>
>>61568042
can be countered with a couple of long pieces of plywood, just lay one down, wak over it, lay the next one down and so on
it's how we used to get the berries from the center of a large bush
my friends and I also did it at night near the highschool we went to and made a little hideout in the center of a huge overgrown mass of stickers
awkward, but viable
>>
>>61568819
that's some fantasy looking stuff.
>>
>>61567454
can confirm. rose bushes under my window. let them go until the HOA revoked my pool pass. when I had to cut them, it took THREE FUCKING LAYERS of leather gloves to not get poked.
>>
What’s that Australian stinging tree that’s so bad it has a body count from suicides?
>>
File: 5691a8eba4f1e_59305b.jpg (194 KB, 850x850)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>61569025
just tell the kids not to fuck with it, same as having a rosebush around kids, pets are so-so, just depends on the pet, and birds are fine
you can trim it like any other thorn bush, just have a good pair of gloves, a quality cutter, and a careful hand
the reason not to have razor wire, is because people don't exactly like it when you start coiling out bands of it in your yard, makes you look like a fucking lunatic, feds'll also get on your ass for that too
>>
>>61568839
Na I actually just started seeing them.
>>
>>61569080
>feds'll also get on your ass for that too
Gonna need source on that, because that's ridiculous provided it doesn't pose a public hazard or HOA. If razor wire is too nutty for you there is always barbed wire. And arguably, it is more difficult to deal with metal thorns on top of a fence than deal with natural thorns at ground level
>>
>>61569117
idk about "feds" but its probably against the zoning code in your city
>>
>>61569117
something something mental wellness check
something something signs of paranoia
something something institutionalization
if you don't legit know about this, please come back when when you've lurked more
>>
>>61569124
Got any examples to share? If (You) put up razor wire, I would definitely count those as a possibility, but for the non-schizos among us, big X Doubt. Because why stop there? CIA approved natural barbed wire is definitely more unhinged than regular razor wire for your nosy neighbor. What about fence too tall? Maybe house too menacing or you seemingly never leave the house?
>>
>>61569159
dont feed the board tourists
>>
File: 68959053.jpg (12 KB, 340x330)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>61569159
i don't have any saved on my drive, and i'm not gonna fight a search engine
the "CIA approved natural barbed wire" is also a common hedge in urban areas, and is also used as root stock for citrus trees everywhere

i don't really know what you want from this conversation, its just a fucking bush with thorns on it, not a god damn mounted CROWS system
if you want a fence, go build a fucking fence, jesus man
>>
>>61569188
>i don't really know what you want from this conversation
You put forward the idea that you'll be put on a watchlist for using razor wire (assuming you are not violating any residential codes, which vary), and I was simply trying to figure out if there's any merit to it especially in relation to using natural defenses
>>
>>61569252
look man
its not a guarantee, but its the same problem with redflag laws
all it takes is some old crotchety bitch to say "the man outside is scaring me!!!", and when the cops come over, they see your house covered in razor wire bundles, and immediately think "aw fuck, waco 2.0", and just as you're browsing your phone on the toilet, happily taking a fat shit, a guy calls you asking you to "think about your family" & "not to do anything rash", and now you know why that helicopter outside was so loud

just go spend like $2000 on lumber for a tall fence or plant a bunch of rose bushes & tell your wife its a surprise gift, worse case scenario is that your property value will rise
>>
>>61568037
oh I fucking hate Cat's Claw
>>61567540
teddy bear cholla. look it up.
>>
>>61569327
Those chollas are no joke. As a kid I walked by one and saw a little bird with a thorn ball stuck in its body. I bent over and helped get it off. Saved it and he flew off, felt pretty good. Then I stood up right into a branch of them. Got a whole ass clump in my head. God bless Arizona
>>
File: OIP (3).jpg (37 KB, 474x329)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>D. moroides is notorious for its extremely painful sting which may leave victims suffering for weeks or even months. It is reputed to be the most venomous plant in Australia, if not the world. After contact with the plant the victim will feel an immediate severe burning and stinging at the site of contact, which then intensifies further over the next 20 to 30 minutes and will last from hours to several days before subsiding. During this time the victim may get little sleep because of the intensity of the pain

Bonus effect: Painkillers do not work on it. It causes pain in a method via a path currently not understood
>>
>>61569117
The first and foremost security is camouflage. Putting razor wire around your property will attract cops and niggers.
>>
>>61569080
I've spent 5 minutes trying to find the abstract merchant here, someone give me a hand
>>
File: 1714966874282922.jpg (200 KB, 850x850)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
>>61570895
>>
>>61570895
>>61570957
lmao
>>
>>61569080
>a good pair of gloves, a quality cutter

doesn't really cut it. you need THREE pairs, some long-ass pliers, and a freakin' sawzall to do it efficiently without getting poked.
>>
>>61568554
The flying cockroach is the unofficial state bird of Hawaii.
>>
>>61570895
Sometimes, a bush is just a bush and there is no merchant.
>>
>>61568042
>Need animals to eat your fruit for seed dispersal
>Punish animals foolish enough to try to eat fruit
Why are plants like this
>>
File: 1714966874282922.jpg (276 KB, 850x850)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
>>61570895
Another possibility.
>>
>>61571246
its safe for birds, which are their primary dispersers, being able to spread seeds hundreds of miles away with the added fertilizer mix they prefer
>>
>>61571296
I suppose that does make sense, but you'd think for the amount of berries a plant can produce they'd be happy with anything eating and shitting them out. I guess evolution isn't driven by what could be, rather what just works. But now I wonder, how come the thorns don't fuck the birds up too?
>>
File: IMG_6506.jpg (316 KB, 1300x1064)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
When I lived in South Korea, a lot of the older houses had concrete walls around them that were full of shards of broken soju and beer bottles around them. I always thought that was cool.

Pic not mine but it looked like this, some had them coating the outside too.
>>
>>61571667
Small birds are just good at dealing with thorns I guess. I've never seen anything bigger than a robin go after bushes like that.
Hot peppers work the same way, btw. Birds are not affected by capsaicin, almost guaranteeing that the seed will get spread far and wide by them
>>
>>61571667
i'd imagine sometimes it does poke a bird or two, but generally, birds are shockingly agile & mindful
with the amount of berries, its best to give them the most optimal form of dispersal, it'll still be a larger chance for success in the end
if a racoon was eating them, its not really gonna stray too far from the bush & it's turds aren't going to be a good fertilizer
birds commonly know where the berry bushes are & also able to spot them easily, leading to whatever berries that are ready to be harvested, all being harvested for the day
whatever berries that aren't harvested & drop on the ground are fair game though
>>
>>61568839
Arizona is a proud meth state.
>>
>>61567454
Become wasp keeper
>>
>>61569117
>>61569124
>>61569159
it’s a non-native species AKA invasive. Less likely to get visits from the FBI and more likely to get visits from USDA or some other fed/state agency depending on where you grow and how much you grow it.
>>
File: b5900923-800px-wm.jpg (199 KB, 800x531)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
Acacia is also pretty effective, those thorns are evil
>>
File: 10798a.jpg (346 KB, 1080x775)
346 KB
346 KB JPG
Or simply a tall and dense hedge, those are pretty much impossible to pass. Wide and low are effective as well with the additional benefit that you can see what's going on the other side
>>
>>61570770
>Australia
While genuinely interesting, I'd rather not introduce an invasive species. Fascinating read through.
>>61571714
Pretty sure those are illegal in most civilised countries, now they just use sharp flint
>>
File: defensebush.gif (392 KB, 320x240)
392 KB
392 KB GIF
>>61573830
>>
>>61573470
I'm not qualified to manage a country club
>>
File: Sherman Rhino.jpg (49 KB, 549x426)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>61573830
Challenge accepted.
>>
>>>/out/ how to deal with ankle twisting burrows?
>>
File: file.png (3.78 MB, 2541x1302)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB PNG
>>61571714
>cool
lots of shithole countries have that
we call it "ghetto barbed wire"
it's easily knocked off and screams "rob me rob me I'm too poor to afford proper security but rich enough that I think I need it"

>>61567454
Here in the tropics we have this beautiful and hardy bougainvillea shrubs but their branches are covered with these inch-long thorns that are hard as nails and honestly make them difficult to prune
my house is hedged all around with bougainvillea. both gorgeous and a painful obstacle.
>>
>>61568819
Can you make this work in zone 8?
>>
>>61570770
hidden side effect, dont breathe near it.
its effects are also aerosolized and will damage your lungs.
>>
>>61567454
Trail cameras and good sight lines. Against people you want good concealment and cover and them to have to cross the kill zones you in order to challenge you.

We live in the era of long range optics and guns and hobbyist FLIR drones.
>>
>>61567505
hello fellow AZ chad
>prickly pear or cholla in your house's blind spots
>ocotillo fence
>make segments of mesquite branches with the 4 inch thorns and place them where you dont want walkers/bikers
also fent zombies are real. saw one chilling in the road last week
>>
>>61567505
>>61575823
Why does everything in the Sonoran desert have to have thorns?
t. Arizonan
>>
>>61575823
do you have boxthorn and goats head ?
I've had some boxthorns go though my shoes and break off inside my toes, not so good.
>>
>>61567477
>>61567485
Either me or someone I was with absolutely fucking ate shit because of a groundhog/rabbit/whatever hole as a kid. Anon I totally forgot about that memory. I don't even remember where the fuck that was.
>>
>>61567505
>entire front and backyard is gravel, very loud to walk on no matter how careful you tread
How the fuck do you walk quiet on this shit, seriously? I hunt and the amount of state hunting land that uses GRAVEL FUCKING PATHS is insane. I can be near silent if I move like 300-500yds each half hour or worse but it's not exactly time efficient.
>>
>>61576600
just dont walk on rocks bro
>>
>>61576629
Easy to say until the retards who take care of the layout make it the only option. Though often the grass in the center is the best option as it's at least padded. Or walk in the fields if the grass is good for it. It's really a mess.
>>
>>61576600
big ass foam-rubber snowshoes
>>
>>61577113
I tried some oversized slip-over stuffing filled boot covers and I think it made even snow louder. I never tried it on anything else other than grass (which also got louder) though as they're mostly for keeping your feet warm. I've tried felt "moccasins" and they seemed to work if you could balance the padding to "being able to feel the ground without having immense foot pain" ratio. Also I actually have foam soled snow boots with some rubber glued to the base as soles and I should see if that does anything. I also have, somewhere, some foam based running shoes that are worn to fuck and no longer have a single bit of rubber on them, or at least very little left; they might be quiet, although likely in a bright as fuck color scheme.

It sounds silly but especially early in the season I can literally walk up on foxes just doing their thing if I have a good day staying silent while walking at the right times. Most of the season I can even walk up on squirrels within 30yds or less, especially if they're facing a good direction. I'm not even kidding when I say one of the last shots I took last season (two or three in a row?) were within 25 feet. One within like 15. They were eating on the other side of the tree and I just walked up and tried to find a good angle then waited for them to finish eating if I didn't have one. They reveal themselves.
>>
>>61568819
Man that plant looks really weird.
>>
>>61567477
Rabbits can also disable invaders' firearms by tying a knot in the barrel
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ha-ha

I'm not sure weaponised optical illusions are legal...
>>
File: bouganvilla.png (783 KB, 560x734)
783 KB
783 KB PNG
Bouganvilla grows like mad in full sun once its roots are established and it full of thorns. Give it lots of space as a hedge if you don't want to be trimming and handling those thorny branches a few times a year.
>>
>>61567454
Plant that Australian suicide plant around your fences. Forget wussy ass rosebushes!
>>
>>61581101
>Australian suicide plant
everything 'strayan is designed to troll as hard as possible kek
>>
Giant Hogweed
>phototoxins
>can cause chemical burns similar to industrial acids
>grows similar to wild carrots and other parsnips
>this means it pretty much grows anywhere which has some level of human activity
>it can be also harvested and turned into a chemical weapon through steam distillation
>>
>>61575747
Why the fuck would you surround your house with that?
>>
>>61568264
>They used to say black locust would make a hedge deer high, pig dense and bull strong (something like that)
You are thinking of Osage orange (the big green monkey brain balls) you can weave them together as they grow. They also will live for a long time.
Not vegetarian but my neighbor keeps hounds for the rich fox hunting people. You can sneak past 1 dog it is completely impossible to get past 50 of them lol.
As a passive defense bees work well. An anon on here recommended it and I have beehives anyway so I put one right by my driveway/entryway to the house alot of people freeze in their tracks. I’m going to save some wasp nest as scarecrows to put around also.
Maybe some fake snakes to get some screams
Skunk decoys
Classic dog decoy filled with tannerite
Bat decoys in case they are scared of bats.
I already have electric fence everywhere for my livestock and visitors are scared of
Them
“Caution high voltage”
I really like dogs though especially when out camping in the woods it’s hard to sneak up on a Malinois
>>
>>61582959
>Skunk decoys
BTW you can buy the spray. A couple drops of that stuff in the soil will last weeks if not months and leave the scent in the air for quite a while.
t. fucked up skinning a skunk fuck oh shit oh fuck (and I know better!)
>>
>>61571667
>how come the thorns don't fuck the birds up too?
Imagine if the thorns were a foot wide and fairly blunt, and you begin to understand how scale effects the situation.
>>
>>61567454
Musashi Miyamoto writes about this in the five rings. Something about how a well designed garden is basically a giant killzone for invaders.
>>
>>61567454
Planting pepper or Eucalyptus can throw off the scents of K9 units

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.