[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1714750512753547.jpg (149 KB, 1000x800)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>have to draw more to get better at drawing
There's really no other way, is there?
>>
some methods will get you there faster than others though
>>
File: CZrTFzxUcAAbH5S.jpg (133 KB, 1024x768)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>7159899
How would I get there while needing to draw as little as possible
>>
>>7159895
>have to draw more to get better at drawing
>There's really no other way, is there?
You could say the same thing about all skills.
>>
>>7159907
First thing to master is accurate, observational drawing. That will take you MAX 6 months, but if you have this, you have the key that opens everything. If you don't have the simple skill to draw what you see, you are physically unable to learn anything else. Your construction will be shit. Your anatomy, shit. Lighting, shit. Don't even mention color. Observation is the bedrock even for people who draw from imagination, because imagination is based on your visual library.

The second thing is to do tons of memory drawings, imagination drawings, and to systematically memorize things. You don't want to forget. Forgetting things is what causes you to spin in circles and lose progress. People are "learning anatomy" for 10 years and they still cannot draw the muscles of the armpit or the thigh, and that's just permabeg behavior. After observation, your visual library is the most important thing you should be refining on a daily basis.

The third thing is to actually regularly make finished work. When you make finished work, you will run into problems, and this is how you know what to study. Finished work shows you your weaknesses. You don't want to be like those idiots who do nude figures and portraits all day, because that's all they can do. They spend all their study time grinding their "strengths" when in reality, they should be studying things they are not good at. That is how you improve faster

Anyways, this is how you do the least amount of drawing before you attain mastery. Watch Krenz lectures if you want more information. This is also the way art was taught for 500 years, until modern art schools went and removed fundamentals from their curriculums.
>>
>>7159912
>tldr: just draw
>>
File: 1655649144780.jpg (25 KB, 480x442)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>7159922
I write essays because I am passionate about art. Stop looking down on me.
>>
>>7159931
I appreciate /ic/ essays when they're related to art and learning. Wish there were more of them honestly, but most anons here just like to fling shit at anime and cry about social media engagement, so the art essayists have starting to disappear and migrate back to more mainstream waters.
>>
>>7159940
yeah, the essays are where you really learn something. I've never learned a thing from a one sentence post, but with essays, there's at least a chance of me getting a clue or something to latch onto, and to do further research on.
>>
>>7159912
Pyw
>>
what is with you people? why do you want to become good at drawing if you don't even like to draw??? holy shit just get a different hobby that you actually like
>>
>>7160041
>implying
>>
>>7160041
I only like things I'm good at.
>>
>>7160064
You will never be good at anything
>>
>>7160167
I'm already good at several things, that I have somehow managed to get good at before developing this mindset.
>>
>>7159895
watch good artists draw in real time. analyze every step they take. avoid sped up timelapses, you won't retain any information or you'll need to pause too many times.
>>
>>7159912
>>7159931
pyw
otherwise, you're just learning how to learn to draw, instead of doing the act.
>>
>>7159895
When you practice you actualize your potential thereby limiting yourself, even if you know, "he'll be the next great master you're now held back by human limits. By not drawing ever my potential forever remains limitless making me the greatest artist ever.
>>
>>7159912
I've been steadily working on this, just getting started on the memory drawing bit, and while my overall shape accuracy is good, things like my line quality or ability to draw symmetrically (eyes or ears in a front facing face), absolutely blows. Any tips to focus improve on that, or is it really just mileage?
>>
>>7160209
God I'm the same, cannot draw symmetrical or even imagine what it would be like slightly roated
>>
>>7159912
I did not manage to achieve that in 6 months. I can copy things accurately, and I can paint from life, but I'm completely helpless when I attempt to draw from life because the real world has no lines to copy. Nothing really suggests the appearance of lines to me, and I consistently attempt to invent them out of the wrong features. All the resources I've used teach copying drawings and drawing from life as the same skill even though to me it seems like they are completely unrelated, so I'm not sure what I should really even be trying to do.
>>
File: 12234.png (23 KB, 1152x648)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>7159895
>>
>>7159895
yes, however a lot of people don’t know about the different study techniques to actually improve
1) draw a study
2) draw it from memory
3) compare to reference
4) repeat
the memory part is actually the most important
>>
File: Hercules-and-Lichas.png (713 KB, 542x800)
713 KB
713 KB PNG
>>7159912
Good post.
A few things:
>this is the way art was taught for 500 years
Anon the history of teaching in art is not nearly so neat and tidy.
You're overgeneralizing with this "until modern art schools" phrasing.

>"people are "learning..."
People are "learning" for their entire lives. I don't doubt there's people who don't learn their anatomy.
I do doubt that you actually have a story about someone who hasn't learned anatomy after 10 years of trying.
You can point me to a /beg/ thread and that would be a "cop-out." If you don't have a complete case study or at least a personal anecdote.
I'd turn this one back around on you:
>your thoughts about reality are not reality, anon.
I think it's unwise for you to go around supposing that you know people that, in reality, you actually don't know. You don't have a personal friend who's been struggling to learn anatomy for 10 years.
>there's a chance that was you

Finally:
you "should" focus on your strengths in addition to your weakness. You're even better off asking for "feedback."

I'm concerned that no one noticed:
>you don't want to be like those idiots
>how to improve faster
why can't you improve slow, anon? =)

you sound like a desperate know-it-all. I would guess that's partially what's with the "pyw" replies.

Your judgements don't appear to be founded on anything substantial. It comes off like "casting stones."
I would guess you're afraid of living death and you think that if you aren't always looking for ways to improve that your art will plateau and you'll be like a shitty artist.

I imagine there are no recent finished drawings of yours where you didn't see something that could've been better.
You probably wouldn't share those because you are your own worst critic and you're hard enough on yourself already.

I think "passionate" is an understatement. I think it's deeper for you than that, anon.
It sounds to me like art has become a part of who you are as a person.
>>
File: 1702326417095920.jpg (18 KB, 473x574)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>7160557
I feel weirdly violated by this post. Is this what it's like having a therapist?

You're spot on, btw. Nailed me. The inner workings of my unconscious are all clear to me now
>>
>have to practice more to get better at thing
geee i dont know anon you tell me
>>
>>7159912
>That will take you MAX 6 months
lol
>>
>>7160041
>why do you want to become good at drawing if you don't even like to draw???
most people, probably even you yourself, don't like to draw per se. if you want to draw something of quality, but your skills aren't there yet, it is only natural that you will not like your work. though there can be enjoyment in pockets of quality and evidence of improvement. only if you have very low aspirations or consistently draw quality work will you always enjoy drawing.
>>
>>7159895
You don't have to make good art to make it big.
>>
>>7159912
I never care about anatomy, I just trace. When you have so much resources, just use them.
>>
File: 16334297420730.jpg (89 KB, 369x461)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
How do I mindfully create something while depressed? I can't even tell what I like or dislike anymore so "draw what's fun" isn't working, I can't copy other stuff, usually I just open my software, draw a few ugly misproportioned gesture drawings or make a 4 bar drum loop with no thoughts behind it, think on what I'm going to do next, then quit after like 5 min and go back to bed to smell my farts under the blanket.
>>
>>7159912
Now how do i get better without drawing poorly?
>>
>>7164104
>I've never played a violin before. how do i get good at playing a violin without playing/practicing the violin!?
You're never going to make it. Quit.
>>
/beg/ 90% drawing, 10% thinking

/int/ 10% drawing, 90% thinking

being old also makes it harder to draw. I just can't waste house on polishing turds like I could when I was young. Every action in life after 30 is a cost-benefit analysis. Even drawing for an hour has to be "worth" it by drawing something good, so I need a fool proof perfect idea or ref before I even start.
>>
>>7163981
Small wins are what you focus on
Have very low expectations and goals and don’t think too far ahead to end goals or whatever
Just do little things, each one is a small win and those things build up
For example you could draw the cat y pic you just posted but from a different angle, or give him a samurai helmet or whatever. Spend 30 minutes no pressure doodling of that and boom, it’s the most you’ve drawn all week.

Don’t focus on what others are doing or how far you are from your dream level or anything like that, just stack up small wins and try do a little better this week than last
>>
>>7164531
Thank you for the advice bro, appreciate it a lot

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.