[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (678 KB, 843x508)
678 KB
678 KB PNG
Why don't anons talk about this more? Isn't it one of the best ways to "make it"?

Less competition as only have your countrymen to compete with, or even just artists in your city.

Actually able to charge a fair amount because third worlders can't come over to tattoo your clients

Is a scalable business as you can open studios and hire other artists, has an exit strategy so when you get older the business will be able to run itself kind of like a barbershop. Coomer on patreon will stop earning money the second he drops drawing and be irrelevant, plus no pension etc

Won't be under threat from AI unlike digital or concept artist etc, so will always be a need for artists especially in countries where lots of people have tattoos like America and Britain

Irl networking with other artists, clients and can maybe get tattooed gf, patreon artist is stuck inside house all day and can only network with other coomers.

Can actually be proud of the work you do unlike those forced to draw coom to make a living. Before anons say you don't have to draw coom to make a living. all I see is coom artists making it on patreon or pro concept artists.

Some of the points also apply to traditional gallery artists. I think it's come full circle to where trad is again the most viable way to make it as an artist, although you can still do tattoo designs in digital so your skills would carry over.

Do share stories if any of you anons have worked as a tattoo artist.
>>
>>7159254
i considered going that path, seems like a cool alternative to illustration. feels more like a "real" job so it has pros and cons.
topic is probably not so discussed cause people is here to learn, and usually you dont practice on someone's skin. you already have some competence if you tattoo.

some tattoo talk wouldn't hurt i agree
>>
>>7159254
87% of Anons suffer from autism and social alienation, thus they can’t do jobs where they have to talk to normies.
>>
>>7159254
Can tattoos artist draw or do they just trace? I never saw one at work outside of gta so I don’t know
>>
seems like the kind of job where you have to deal with the worst kinds of people
>>
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 201x250)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>7159264
draw > apply stencil > trace artwork on skin

shading is free hand, so a bit harder i guess
>>
>>7159254
I want to, but I'm kind of a socially awkward dude. Though I should just get over it
>>
>>7159254
My brother always talk me about that, i already told him that i draw nsfw shit, so that's why he's always recommend me try tatto and he is right.
As you said, those point are fairly true, nothing more to comment about them.
I'm already interested in the topic because i have a place that i could use for that, with no need to rent a space. If you can't have a place, you can just work as beg for another guy, the scalable business as you said works but for both sides, for the guy who wants to run the business in auto mode, and for the beg who wants to learn because is the perfect pupil, he enters the place with the promise of working there in an established place that have some plus that he can't get alone like: an actual place dedicated to the job, clean (most important point), with the correct tools to work, and a guy that will guide.
From my experience i crossed with many tatto anons back in the day, most of them started learning the shit in the university as a side job to earn so quick money. The process is basically learn with cheap tools, like, the most basic tatto machine, and practice in different shits, like fruits, that special paper, and pig skin or sintetic, depending of your budget, that with the common drawing with pen-paper. Then you move to offer free tattos to close people, or, really cheap that at least cover the materials, and really easy designs, to get used to the real skin, you know, those shitty tattos symbols that you can do in 5min in digital. From that you start to put a minimal price to be able to buy more tools and supplies, and continue.
All of the people that i knew started by themselves literally tattoing in their homes, most of them yeah, they have the minimal conditions also for a clean space, that's mandatory.
Most of them are still begs, if we rating them in /ic/ words... mid-low tier of drawing,
>>
>Irl networking with other artists, clients and can maybe get tattooed gf, patreon artist is stuck inside house all day and can only network with other coomers.
>gf
>/ic/
>>
>>7159254
>third worlders can't come over to tattoo your clients
Isn't Mexico on the border with Freedomland?
>>
>>7159254
>patreon artist is stuck inside house all day
My dream job! I'm sick and tired of commute.
>>
>>7159333
the drawing skill also is a point, you actually can be mid-beg level drawing and still making tattos and earn some money from time to time, because the core aspect in the firsts stages of tattos are not the drawing skill but the tool control ability, if you have a good control then you could only, trace, images, and done, a lot, a lot of tattofags do that. With minimal drawing fundamental knowledge you can rise prices because you can offer better composition if you trace images.
And the curve of "exposition" in tattos is really more low and easy compared with digital or any other shit because is all close contacts and expand, and they phisically see the work,
and your reach grows by word of mouth, instagram is like the default site to show your shit.
If any mid tier drawfag here consider that, you can do it, just make the initial invest, i will do it, and the value money-time is much better with tattos, with can actually "draw less" in time with tatto that with your common digital tittie girls, just consider that, how much you take for a titties asses fanart? 8 hours? 4 hours? in 4 you could easily make a tattoo and earn the same minimal income in hours, much easy, less think, with potential less off-work because a lot of guys make this thing of, in instagram, presenting a list of "available" designs, so they make them in advance, and done, with can make several of that and offer the shit, then is just trace.

Dont believe? just lurk on Instagram, in your country use your related tatto #, you know #tatoo english speakers, #tatuajes spanish,
#tatuagem portuguese, etc, etc, of your region, and lurk, compare the shitties you can find with the most pro, or mid, or the ones you could said "i can do that and better", trust me, you will find a lot of examples to said that.
>>
>>7159254

I don t mind degeneracy but Most tattoo masters will ask you to get tattooed, as they say you cannot tattoo if you don know how it feels .

Working around HIV infected troons blood is also not great.
>>
>>7159355
True, but I meant it more in the sense that you're not competing with with artists from across the globe like Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Indian etc Like you do in the digital twitter space
>>
>having to draw chinese letters and cursive oneliners on smelly trashy fatasses in a closed space for hours
>when they leave, the table is covered in their sweat and assorted juices and as you're cleaning it up the only thing in your mind is "i hope he didn't have aids"
yeah, no
>>
File: 1711204568204804.jpg (105 KB, 715x727)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>7159411
>>7159640
Is HIV such a big issue in the tattooing scene? It's the first time I see it mentioned. I thought you only catch it if you fuck someone with it, or you have too much gay sex. Are you saying you contract it from just touching their blood, is that why all the tattoo artists wear gloves?!?!?

And no, I'm not googling HIV
>>
>>7159645
nigga, there's a reason all tattoo artists that aren't spics and niggers wear gloves and unpack fresh equipment and ink for every job
granted, most of the risk is on the client, but on a long enough timeline it's guaranteed you'll fuck up and jab yourself with aids if you don't take precautions
>>
>>7159645
please google hiv next time then if you are asking stupid questions.
No, you can't get hiv if you touch blood with your skin, in any way, your skin do not "absorb" the blood like a sponge direct to your veins, no.
Only way is if the blood have direct way yo your blood, lets say you have a cut, of course there is % but way lower than have gay sex or using used needles.
So yeah, using gloves is basic because you just eliminate all those concerns, also, is because of basic clean protocols, you need to be the most clean in all the process of tatoo to not have infections, bacterial, the same way you dont touch dirt if you have a cut or whatever open or deep wound.
The same thing for almost all services, you dont go there to get an infection or get sick, you go for a service-product, if you are not clean they have the right to sue you if they get sick, is very more common as you may guess in the food market.
That's why all tatto established places have a, health, permit of operation, given the health estament in charge in the corresponding country (if it's a decent country)
>>
>>7159640
You sound overly sensitive.
>oooh no, a bit of sweat from another human being, oh, the smell of another organism in my vicinity, I am literally being violated I am literally being raped.
I touched my ballsweat before I wrote this post, just for you.
>>
>>7159686
you'd have to touch my ballsweat to prove a point here, though
>>
>>7159254
Tattooing is hard to learn, even harder to master.
>Is a scalable business
No, most of the time not.
>>7159271
>seems like the kind of job where you have to deal with the worst kinds of people
Not as bad as one would think. Especially if you are already established. Even most whores and thugs have some respect towards you. It can be bad and annoying, yes, but with time you will sort out the worst degens before they come over.
>>7159264
>Can tattoos artist draw or do they just trace?
The good ones yes, most of them not.
>>7159645
>Is HIV such a big issue in the tattooing scene?
Not at all. I mean maybe if you're tattooing fags and junkies. HIV is dangerous in the first 6-10 weeks after infection, after the your immune system lower the concentration of virus in your blood, and if you get the right medical treatment the concentration in the blood is nearly zero.
If you follow even the simplest hygiene protocol you are safe. A tattoo is a very superficial procedure. You have to be below iq 85 to fuck it up.
>>
>>7159732
>respect towards you
Well, i guess they respect more the procedure then you, getting your ribs tattoed for 5-6 hours is not a joke, you can't just pretend to be hard, you have to go through it. I guess most people intuitively understand the power dynamic and don't try to fuck with you too much.
>>
many new graduates from my province's top art and design college end up tattooing in the city.
seems like their isn't much other work for them here
>>
>>7159693
Give me an opportunity.
>>
>>7159254
Im learning tattooing, its not easy that for sure but its rewarding. Havent moved from pog skins yet but soon ill try doing my legs to see how live skin acts etc.
Dont expect like its simply drawing on skin, its completly different medium but drawing skills is a must
>>
>>7159254
No. Most "people" who are into this just want scribbles.
>>
File: IMG_20240508_161234.jpg (3.54 MB, 3120x4160)
3.54 MB
3.54 MB JPG
While my drawing skills are decent, tattooing on skin is completly different pair of boots
>>
File: IMG_20240507_170104.jpg (3.3 MB, 3120x4160)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB JPG
>>7160286
>>
File: IMG_20240404_225531.jpg (2.78 MB, 3120x4160)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
>>7160288
>>
File: IMG_20240403_142157.jpg (3.11 MB, 3120x4160)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
>>7160290
>>
File: IMG_20240403_223827.jpg (3.31 MB, 3120x4160)
3.31 MB
3.31 MB JPG
>>7160294
>>
File: IMG_20240313_033707.jpg (3.02 MB, 3120x4160)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
>>7160296
>>
File: IMG_20240215_020814.jpg (3.26 MB, 3120x4160)
3.26 MB
3.26 MB JPG
>>7160297
>>
File: IMG_20240223_190612.jpg (218 KB, 872x1258)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
>>7160299
>>
File: 1681323370014784.gif (839 KB, 256x255)
839 KB
839 KB GIF
>>7160304
>>
fuck, i knew tattoo artists were pieces of shit, but you're also cutting people into parts. you're fucking sick scumbags.
>>
>>7160307
what? no, no, it's not people, those are jews
>>
>>7159645
I got some female client who had squirting orgasm from tattooing around her labias . I received squirt juice in my eyes ang got afraid of STD and HIV for 2 weeks.

Some punk and alternate scene people are not super clean and depending where you tattoo ( like inside buttcheek or forehead it blead quite some.

You also touch people intimate parts sometime and are exposed to STD from touch like herpes. Sometime Tattoo artist need to also know hos to do piercings and manipulating a piercing needle without good gloves is a certain way to get STD.
>>
>>7160316
Crabs crabs crabs
Only people afraid of competition are people bad at it, yet trying to make money
>>
>>7159732
>>Is a scalable business
>No, most of the time not.
How does it usually work? Is it like a salon where someone rents their space or are artists usually salaried employees? Is it commission based?
>>
File: bruh.jpg (68 KB, 940x768)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>7160316
(o_O) ...... That's a pretty crazy story anon, I wouldn't tattoo on or near someones vagina, penis, anus.... bewbs is about as far as I'd go, I hate piercings so I'd avoid that risk.

Sounds like if I just wear gloves and don't tattoo where you tattoo I'll be ok

>>7160286
These are cool anon, do you buy clearance meat for practice or do butchers give you bits they would throw away for free?

>>7160371
from what I was reading the owner rents out the chairs. Depending on shop they charge like 50/50 on artist earnings or they charge a flat rate i.e $1000 per month. Seems like the shop owners earn more if they go 50/50 and if the artist is good and brings in lots of money they seem to negotiate up to 65/35
>>
>>7159254
Because most tattoo artists work and here we are a bunch of unemployed looses
>>
>>7160581
you're assuming you're going to have enough work to pick and choose. you won't
>>
>>7159254
I pursued this for a while. Realized after about 6months that most people who get tattoos are retarded weed smokers. There's some genuinely great tattoo artists out there and I have mad respect for the craft but there's no fucking way I can listen to druggies bitch and moan all day with the health dept breathing down my neck. Might have stuck it out if I lived in a state with less occupational licensing.
>>
File: loovers.gif (3.32 MB, 1507x3266)
3.32 MB
3.32 MB GIF
tattoo anon here

its a fun job but you gotta keep at it and if you dont tattoo that day then you spend all day at work not getting paid
>>
>>7160371
It depends. Mostly you have two sorts of shops.
1 commercial ones were you have to tattoo a lot and you cant really choose your clients, you are just a bitch and you get 25-50%, maybe 60 if you famous, or 0 if you unlucky. Often these are very big shops, 10-15 people, and the owner is often a biker boss or drug dealer or some other scum
2 communistic shops, where the owner is a tattooer himself and the people who work there are more friends or co-owner. you may have to give um 10-20% or you just divide the cost for rent, reception, cleaning etc. between all artists. but you have to find your own clients.

There are some shops that are in between, you have street shops as well, mostly for western traditional styles, or private shops, or people who work at home or in hotels.
Most commercial shops are shit, pure exploitation. Lefty shops are shit as well if you dont get along with blue haired fags. Working from home is shit as well, too inconvenient.
You have to try it out for yourself.
>>7162923
You should try to work cleaner in this style. And you should work on your drawing fundis as well.
Youve shaded the entire skull with a flat shading, with no sense for form. And the dots in your shading are spread too uneven. Whats wrong with the black background? You half assed it with a liner? Pack the black rightly or do an even shading. What youve don is just shit and it will look even worse after healing, i can say you that.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.