[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240506_093959.jpg (98 KB, 941x926)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
I started drawing on February 25th, 2024. Initially, I copied various drawings from animes I liked, but eventually, I realized this approach wasn't working for me, so I switched to "Keys to Drawing." Despite the change, something still felt off about my drawing process.

I realized that I never talked to myself while drawing; instead, I mindlessly copied and observed without engaging in any practical dialogue or reflective thought. I always rushed my drawings without thinking deeply about what I was doing.

What's really challenging for me is to remain conscious while drawing. I tried to do this today but got distracted and slipped into autopilot. This demotivated me because, after three months of drawing, I realized I hadn't been actively thinking while drawing; I was just mindlessly copying and looking.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, should I just push through and try to draw consciously and patiently, or is there an underlying issue I need to address?
>>
>>7158178
honestly a lot of my best art was drawn unconsciously in flow state. Definitely try to get a routine in where you can think about everything, but it’s not that deep desu
>>
>just copy bro
Track down and flay alive whoever told you that.
>>
>>7158178
That autopilot you talk about might be what is known as flow state. It's a great thing to achieve and where you are most productive. You should only break it when you put something down and immediately looks off to you, then stop and fix it.
Otherwise, just plow through your drawing/studies, and once you call it finished, take your time to analyze it, find flaws, and do any corrections if necessary.
>>
>>7158193
That's fair, I mean to each of their own I'll try my best to remind myself to think while drawing
>>7158202
I can't kill pawell man.
>>7158203
I'm not sure, because whenever I draw without thinking, I tend to dislike and criticize my work excessively. Perhaps I'm too critical of myself or I'm doing something wrong.

Here's my work by the way it's my dad account as I have the worse storage ever.

https://dad.gallery/users/5453/submissions
>>
>>7158178
>should I just push through and try to draw consciously and patiently
Not a single professional artist think when they draw, they all just draw and if something is off then they stop drawing and use the art fundamentals to fix it.
Animators do the same thing but they use animation principles instead of drawing fundamentals, unless they're 2d animators ofc.
>>
>>7158222
>Not a single professional artist think when they draw, they all just draw and if something is off then they stop drawing and use the art fundamentals to fix it.
Multitasking is a meme so focus on one thing.
>>
>>7158203
No. The Flow state is the state when your body is working automatically, it's for when you're working on something you already know. The difficult frustrated state where time slows down is where you're actually learning.
Flow state when you work, frustrated state when you're learning.
>>
>>7158178
I gave up on any sort of thinking because it was never productive.
"How could this be represented with lines? I have no idea."
"Why doesn't this look right? I have no idea."
"What should I do differently next time? I can't think of anything."
"What process should I use to create this? I don't know, because I have no knowledge of any functional drawing process."
"Is there a resource that answers any of my questions or provides a process I can use? No."

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.