[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1688086828157655.png (94 KB, 296x284)
94 KB
94 KB PNG
>just realized I have basically no original content of my own, only studies and cheap imitations
It's over.
>>
>>7155408
Do fotm and fandom stuff
>>
File: 20240502_150351.jpg (83 KB, 979x913)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
According to my journal I bought my first sketchbook in November last year and my drawing tablet in February, I have been drawing for almost every day, mostly just copying other artists I like. My friend who's been drawing for almost 11 years told me that's completely ok and normal to spend like the first year or two just copying other pieces and learning stuff, it took him 6 years until he started drawing orginal pieces.
>>
>>7155408
>I have basically no original content of my own, only studies and cheap imitations
Then stop studying and start creating. I read somewhere that a famous Marvel comic artist never practiced drawing before his debut and everything he knows he learned on the job.
>>
>>7155408
>Have an epiphany
>Think it's over.
Perhaps it just began.
>>
what good is original content if it's of poor quality?
>>
spend some time in the sensory deprivation chamber. pay attention to what you do and ask yourself why you do it.
>>
>>7155408
>just realized I have basically no original content of my own
you could always just start today lol
>>
>>7155963
This. When ever I want to make original content it looks like shit, which is why I study so much. I want a portfolio to look back on and be amazed and inspired other. Not a portfolio that I look back on and cringe.
>>
I don't think cheap imitations exist if you're authentic about it. Nobody creates their 100% original magnum opus on their first attempts. What's stopping you from doing more original art? Lack of creativity? Fear of losing your already established fanbase? If you're already maintaining a certain niche with your art, I suggest doing original art within that niche so as not to alienate your fanbase. And if you don't occupy a niche or have a fanbase, then what's the problem? Get inspired and start creating. Creativity is like a muscle. There is potential. With experience, you'll realize what works and what doesn't. It's all trial and error. All opportunities to grow from. I'm sure you can make it as an artist with the right mindset!

You can do it, Anon! /ic/ believes in you! I believe in you! Now you only need to believe in yourself!
>>
File: learn to draw.png (63 KB, 1312x190)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
>>7156256
>When ever I want to make original content it looks like shit, which is why I study so much.
not that this is a particularly astute observation, but I think people's tendency to favor original content over studying is due to a habit of instant gratification. the perverse thing is that most people seem to not only want to draw OC, but quality OC - whatever that means for them - which they can't yet do. so they're delaying their ultimate goal in favor of achieving a travesty of it. there's also peer pressure/a desire to fit in that's a factor. it's mainly just a matter of short-term vs long-term thinking.
>>
>>7155408
Just start doodling with the skills you’ve acquired. Eventually your creativity will come through
>>
File: Illustration204.jpg (2.21 MB, 7000x5000)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB JPG
After 3 years of drawing the only thing i'm capable of is filling my canvas with black and white doodles for hours but never actually making "finished" work.
>>
>>7155963
>>7156256
>>7156354
But you still need to make artwork that aren't studies in order to apply what you learned. You have to fail in order to succeed.
>>
>>7157735
I don't think a work is necessarily only a study or only the application of study, but regardless you can apply your studies in unoriginal art (say a portrait from a reference photo).
>>
>>7157726
Well, it looks pretty nice actually.
>>
I've never even tried to draw anything I want to draw, because I don't know how to structure an attempt at it and can't imagine a process that would lead to the result I want. I can't really even picture the result I want, for that matter, as while I have a subject in mind, I can't extrapolate from it what a drawing of the subject might look like. Even as a kid, all I ever managed to do is copying other people's stick figures and square+triangle houses and such. My best effort at producing something of my own was mindlessly scribbling and being disappointed that this didn't magically create my desired drawing.

>>7156403
I wish I could learn how to doodle. My starting point was using a series of mental measurements to produce copies of other people's work, and I haven't managed to expand from there. It seems like most resources aimed at beginners expect a starting point of silly doodles and try to teach how to copy, but I'm trying to go in the opposite direction and haven't had any luck.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.