[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I have been drawing for over a decade and everything about perspective still hurts my brain
Anyone else like this?
>>
>>7147698
It means you've been focusing on other areas (I hope), pyw.
>>
Just do thumbnails of perspective and set things up with boxes
Also yes I get a headache if I draw perspective, that means the brain is rewiring itself to have a blender 3d program inside
>>
>>7147698
I honestly gave up caring and just draw flat shit
>>
this is exactly me. I feel like when it comes to anatomy, light, etc. I’ve been able to study and intuitively grasp these pretty well. and even in the case of perspective I can bullshit organic forms convincingly

but once I have to contextualize an entire 3D environment or draw something really geometric where the perspective has to be spot-on (cars, architecture. etc)… it is so over

I’ve been trying to make it through scott robertson’s perspective book and it’s starting to make a little more sense, but I have to go through it really slowly and it seems a lot harder to just internalize the knowledge than with other fundamentals. it makes me feel like such a dumbass because I’ve seen a lot of otherwise unskilled artists able to throw together a decent looking cityscape lol
>>
Yeah. Stuff like color theory or drapery or general anatomy has always felt pretty intuitive to me, perhaps because they require less precision. For similar reasons I think cooking is way easier than baking.
These days, I can sort of deal with perspective for landscapes, since those are more conducive to eye-balling. But urban settings? Interiors? Mechanical things? It's over for me
>>
>>7147698
Try redrawing environments of movie/tv screenshots instead of normal photos
>>
>>7147698
disregard perspective
aquire shape language
>>
>>7147698
Luckily we live in the future, so just use an accessible 3d program to quickly block-out your scenes to use as a guide, rather than drawing them. Is google sketchup still a thing? I think that was the easiest 3D program out there, but there's always blender - you don't really need to know more than just moving around cubes and making the most basic of shapes, because you're only making yourself a guide, and not something to trace over.
>>
>>7147698
its normal. think about the average person who doesn't draw and ask them to draw a full perspective scene. They couldn't do it. No human can just imagine full perspective, we're all imagining things as abstract shapes and descriptions. You have to actually train to think in 3D which is why drawing is so hard.

Even pro artists that seem to be able to draw perspective without rulers and shit, are just REDRAWING THINGS THEY DREW BEFORE. They are experienced in drawing many angle and perspectives, so they are pulling from their memory, which technically is not really building the perspective from scratch.
>>
Perspective is a huge meme because the human eye and brain don't make much sence. For this reason perspective grids NEVER helped me in the course of 10+ years but drawing from life did. Like >>7147893 this anon said you probably just need to draw a lot, particularly scenography & weird camera angles.
>they are pulling from their memory
This is probably true, i've found i can only draw from angles that i've studied before. I need to draw more angles... whenever I try winging a random perspective angle it turns out like 2d shit

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.