[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>placed in a geographically perfect place free from invaders
>entire history is known for getting ruled and subjugated by foreign forces
>>
>>16547669
If the British Isles were positioned somewhere between the regular position to around halfway to Iceland, would the pre-Celts, Celts, Romans, or Anglo-Saxons have even got to it before the Viking Age? Which tribe or civilization would likely arrive at and possibly settle the British Isles if they were drifted even further away from the European mainland?
>>
>>16547673
Just Britain, or Ireland too? Because that would turn Ulster and Cornwall into a jumping off and on point respectively.
>>
>>16547680
Ireland counts as part of the British Isles, too, at least to the Greeks and the Romans. What do you mean by jumping off and on point? Thanks.
>>
>>16547673
Inuit.
>>
>>16547684
Yeah, I realized after saying it that I should check my descriptions and not just take it to mean Britain. Although, taking my statement as the assumption, It would mean that northeast Ireland would be very close to southwest England, and therefore turn that into the linked region. It is still a 400 mile journey from Brittany to Cork, though, so I'd have to look into who could seafare like that in Iron Age Europe.
>>
>>16547690
OK, thanks for clearing it up. Maybe pre-Celts or Celts might have eventually migrated there, even if the British Isles were about twice as far from mainland Europe? I don't know if the Romans or Anglo-Saxons would have much interest, presuming they know something about the isles at all.
>>
>>16547669
It's literally been a thousand years since that last happened.
>>
>>16547719
I think you'd definitely see Celts there, and it may have even supercharged the degree to which the Celts were seafarers in the way that most of Scandinavia being rather shitty to live in and spaced out did for the Norse. After all, Shetland has been settled since the Mesolithic, and that's only a bit further out than the distances we're talking about. It would be a very insular, strange society regardless, as Celtic as it is Gaelic (instead of predominated by the Gaelic in the way Ireland and Scotland are). Think big Hebrides.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.