[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_2475.gif (3 KB, 250x308)
3 KB
3 KB GIF
To what extent are the Orkney, Shetland isles and the Hebrides Scandinavian? Anybody have any data on the Scandinavian admixture of these islands?
>>
I don’t know about DNA but there must be a lot, as Scandinavians ruled the region long after their influence faded in the rest of the British Isles. They had a big linguistic impact and the Outer Hebrides, last stronghold of Scottish Gaelic, is full of Norse loan words. Many of the place names are Norse as well, a reversal of the usual pattern where older native names often prevail. Fun fact: despite America’s obsession with all things Trump, no one ever talks about his mother Mary Macleod, a Gaelic speaker from the island of Lewis.
>>
>>16546301
Orkney and Shetland are like half Scandinavian
>>
>>16546379
You got any actual data though? That’s what I’m interested in
>>
>>16546408
>https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1904761116
Not half, closer to a third Norwegian in Shetland, a fifth in Orkney, a tenth in the Outer Hebrides, and a twentieth in Man.
Culturally Shetland and Orkney became quite linguistically Scandinavian, speaking Norn, a Northern Germanic language dominantly until the 15th Century when it was gradually displaced in favour of Scots, and now English. Orcadian Norn was already declining from the mid-14th Century though. Insular Scots has significant Norn influence, and there's talk of a revival similiar to Manx and Cornish, Nynorn, with some enthusiasm.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.