[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why is the shinto autistically documented in detail on every corner of the web, but you can't even find two 1000 view videos on youtube about it?
Is it really that much shittier than shinto?
>>
It's arguably not even a religion.
>>
>>16545933
Because Shinto is not a multilevel marketing grift like all other religions.
>>
>>16546012
I think the "It" OP is referring to is Chinese paganism. Interestingly the word "Shinto" comes from a common name for Chinese paganism, Shendao.
>>
Something about it drives christniggers absolutely insane. There’s at least two dedicated schizos who chimp out about it regularly here.
>>
>>16545933
That pic is Chinese, they're too poor and gaudy looking to be Japanese Shinto
>>
Because 99.999999% of Shintoists only speak Nip, so all of the Shinto content is in Nip
>>
A folk religion that most Japs don't even get the context if since the traditions are so old, but still adhere to out of rrspect and devotion. A good example of Roman/Greek religion during its last days.
>>
>>16546045
Yes, the it I'm referring to is Chinese folk religion. There are very few resources on chinese folk religion compared to shinto, other than lists of monsters of gods which appear in literature, not the actual practice itself.
>>
>*blesses everyone ITT with good fortune in their family-owned businesses*
>>
>>16547201
China became soulless and uninteresting after the cultural revolution, so it’s lore and mysticism is likewise considered boring by westerners, and pajeets hate them with a passion. So that leaves 90% of the global internet users with no interest in the subject or actively hostile to it.
>>
>>16547201
Probably because Japan was more open to the West than China was, and Japan also never had a communist government.
>>
>>16547209
Nah. Theres tons of daoist shit in pop culture and plenty about it on the internet.
But for some reason chinese folk religion just has zero exposure, even when the jap equivalent is very well known.
>>
>>16547201
Have you tried looking in Mandarin? There's huge amounts of this stuff on bilibili for example.
>>
>>16547251
I don't speak it.
>>
>>16547252
You're going to have a really rough time learning about China if you don't change that.
>>
>>16545933
Japan has a gargantuan amount of cultural influence and "soft-power" across the entire world, and thus people get exposed to Japanese concepts through the media they consume, which leads to them wanting to learn more about it, which leads to a market producing materials to feed that curiosity.
Chinese culture on the other hand was essentially put under embargo by the rest of the world when the CCP took power. Nothing except some Kung-Fu movies from Hong Kong were ever made available to westerners. America also had a vested interest in rehabilitating Japans image in the public consciousness after WW2 as a bulwark against China. So there was a vested interest by the powerful to promote Japanese things as cool and hip, while downplaying, degrading, or just not mentioning any Chinese culture as they were now "The Enemy".
China was also going through some really rough times until recently and thus could not support a large and high quality cultural export industry, whereas Japan had a turbo-economy producing cultural products en masse. So for a long time it was simply that Japan was the only one of the two who even had any culture products to export.
>>
>>16547259
I don’t have any business speaking a language from East Asia, that would be inappropriate.
>>
>>16547318
That guy is blustering anyway, I've self-studied a lot of Confucian classics and other traditional Chinese writings as an English speaker, you're fine. Some authors even give nice preliminary essays about Chinese-English translation and break down the nuances the best they can in footnotes. It isn't 1844 anymore, English-language Chinese studies departments are pretty sophisticated

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.