[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

'Most of the Founding Fathers of the American Revolution are known or often proposed to have been strongly influenced by Machiavelli's political works, including Benjamin Franklin, James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton and John Adams'.
>>
>>16545347
Because it’s the only thing that really matters in politics, everything else is secondary
>>
You mean to tell me that the founders of a republican nation were influenced by a prominent republican thinker? Absolutely wild. I don't fucking believe it
>>
>>16547647
According to John McCormick, it is still very much debatable whether or not Machiavelli was "an advisor of tyranny or partisan of liberty."
>>
>>16547647
'Men are so simple, and so subject to present necessities, that he who seeks to deceive will always find someone who will allow himself to be deceived'.
- Machiavelli

So the founding fathers thought of the American people as stupid shit. Really makes me think.
>>
>>16545347
If you don't understand how power works you'll get chewed up and spat out by every political system that's ever existed. Machiavelli is worth reading for his insights into power and human nature alone.
>>
>>16548612
I understand Machiavelli, I even agree with him for the most part.
I just don't think Machiavelli and the United States' ideology match each other. For one, Machiavelli would have definitely not forbade 'cruel and unusual punishment'.
>>
>>16548595
>thought of the American people as stupid shit
Can you blame them?
>>
>>16545347
>wikipedia
>Benjamin Franklin, James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton and John Adams
>source: John P. McCormick, Machiavellian Democracy 2011
>ctrl + f: Thomas Jefferson (0 results found)
>ctrl + f: James Madison (6 results found)
>Only relevant passage "Uhm james madison was dumb because he didn't include class conflict political representation in his government"

stop believing wikipedia about everything, especially bold claims
>>
>>16548635
You bought a copy just to post this?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.