[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713544216090.png (674 KB, 2564x3140)
674 KB
674 KB PNG
Philosopher of mind Daniel Dennett has died.
>>
literally who
>>
>>16525089
He was one of the four horsemen of new atheism.
>>16525083
Condolences to his family. Not an atheist and disagree with him massively but he wasn't an idiot.
>>
How do you think he feels now that he's met God and knows he'll spend eternity in hell?
>>
>>16525219
If God's real, benevolent, etc, list goes on--He'll accept that Daniel was made to be a doubter and defended his positions courageously. I know this via feminine intuition.
>>
>>16525219
>Implying he hasn't been reincarnated as an alien
>>
>>16525219
He probably thinks he's experiencing an illusion generated by his brain in his last dying moments
>>
>>16525083
Rest in sneed, my beautiful angel.
>>
>>16525083
Damn, I just read his Wikipedia page a week ago
>>
>>16525089
one of those atheist niggas
>>
>>16525219
Probably nothing? The man was not conscious.
>>
File: Hitch4.png (1.77 MB, 1024x1024)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB PNG
>>16525083
>Four Horseman of Atheism
And like Hitchens, he's experiencing eternal, torturous, excruciating pain right now for all eternality because he had too much pride
>>
>>16525726
You mean, because he had mistaken beliefs.
>>
>>16525733
Atheist are prideful by necessity because they do not accept that God is greater than them
>>
>>16525089
The last notable philosopher.

Wonder if we will anymore from here on out.
>>
>>16525083
Damn, reading Determined by Sapolsky right now, a rival of his on free will .
Having read both, I think I stand with Sapolsky.
Also, lel'd at these descriptions.
>>
>>16525761
Chomsky, Singer. Disagree with both, but they are notable, and notably alive.
>>
>>16525739
I am morally superior to Yahweh or that Kike rat Jesus
>>
>>16525819
Nagel, Searle, Habermas, and Chalmers are all alive. Though, of course, some here wont think of them as notable.
>>
>>16525874
Also Van Fraassen, Nussbaum, Jackson, Strawson, Plantinga are some more notable still kicking. Though I hear Plantinga is now demented.
>>
>>16525083
I think Dennett's greatest contribution is showing how much people are willing to seethe over works they obviously haven't read. There's very little I agree with Dennett about, but it still irks me when people act as if his position on qualia means that he's denying the existence of consciousness.
>>
>>16525918
He explicitly states in "Quining Qualia" that his use of the word "quining" means violent denial. Why didn't you read the text?
>>
>>16525952
Denial of qualia, not denial of consciousness.
>Which idea of qualia am I trying to extirpate? Everything real has properties, and since I don't deny the reality of conscious experience, I grant that conscious experience has properties. I grant moreover that each person's states of consciousness have properties in virtue of which those states have the experiential content that they do. That is to say, whenever someone experiences something as being one way rather than another, this is true in virtue of some property of something happening in them at the time, but these properties are so unlike the properties traditionally imputed to consciousness that it would be grossly misleading to call any of them the long-sought qualia. Qualia are supposed to be special properties, in some hard-to-define way. My claim--which can only come into focus as we proceed--is that conscious experience has no properties that are special in any of the ways qualia have been supposed to be special.
>>
>>16525958
And then he goes on to present two dozen "intuition pumps" demonstrating the hardness and validity of qualia, completely destroying his own strawman.
>>
>>16525970
Now you're arguing that his argument fails, not that he's claiming consciousness doesn't exist.
>>
>>16525980
By denying qualia he does factually deny consciousness. He wants to redefine the word "consciousness" to refer only to the contents of the so called "soft problems". To him "consciousness" is indistinguishable from an LLM.
>>
>>16525083
QRD on his ideas?
>>
>>16526003
"I'm a dumb prideful satan worshipper that doesn't want to work manual labor so I'll sell books to edgy millennials".

Everything else is just window dressing.
>>
>>16526003
>consciousness is too hard to understand, therefore it doesn't exist
>>
>>16526000
He literally doesn't. He thinks that first person experience is a real thing, he just thinks that the term "qualia" is too theoretically loaded to accurately explain what is going on.
>>
>>16525726
No one goes to hell until judgement day.
>>
>>16526017
And there he's wrong again. Qualia is a descriptive term and not an explanation.
>>
>>16525726
>eternal, torturous, excruciating pain
Very foolish view. Imagine taking parables literally
>>
>>16526022
If you want to call it a descriptive term, then it's not a descriptive term that simply equals "first person experience" or "consciousness".
>>
>>16526000
>By denying qualia
He doesn't do this.
>>
safe and effective
>>
>>16525739
>>16525726
Notice to this brand of Christian there is no such thing as good faith disagreement. If someone does not believe its not that the evidence or arguments are unconvincing, but that they have too much pride, or love some form of sin too much to accept them. (Even though they will admit in the same breath that Christians commit those same sins but are still saved because they acknowledge Jesus and his teachings). This is because they also feel that infinitely punishing someone for ignorance is evil, so they have to invent some reasons for it in their head. Their entire system for moral judgement is actually based around making Christianity appear morally just, rather than evaluating things as they appear.
>>
>>16525083
>be atheist
>die
Many such cases!

>>16526076
>Their entire system for moral judgement is actually based around making Christianity appear morally just, rather than evaluating things as they appear.
Because we're supposed to presuppose that it's just retard
>>
>>16526100
>Because we're supposed to presuppose
Have you considered continuously reevaluating your believes by contrasting them with competing ideas and new information as it comes along?
>>
>>16526100
>it
There's no "it". Your system is whatever you extrapolate from your scripture, which is heavily biased on your personal preferences and aligned with whatever you think makes Christianity look good.
>>
>>16525726
Kys retard
>>
>>16526009
Another angry illiterate slave angrily and desperately clinging to his idiotic revenge fantasies, kys already.
>>
>>16525083
Here's a story I found about what would have happened if Daniel Dennett did LSD. Dennett never did any psychedelics throughout his entire life.

https://qualiacomputing.com/2020/08/06/that-time-daniel-dennett-took-200-micrograms-of-lsd/
>>
>>16526032
It's a descriptive term for the contents of consciousness, not the phenomenon itself.
>>
>>16525726
>incel larper doesn't know enough about his own religion to know that nobody is in hell until post-judgement
retard alert
>>
>>16525219
He just came back as a newborn baby in Bombay, India, blissfully unaware of his former memories.
>>
>>16526904
based
>>
Ah, the endless subhuman struggle to prove the self's existence to other fragments of itself.
>>
>>16525083
Who?
>>
>>16527434
Someone trying to reason about consciousness, being and behavior, instead of repeating old slogans
>>
>>16526894
Have you ever met a Christian that knows and understands christian metaphysics?
I never have. Those must be all in monasteries.
>>
>>16526017
He thinks that free will is like choosing from a list of possible outcomes, selected for you by biology and environment. You have freedom to choose, within material constraints, including from genes, hormones, past experiences.
And that some dumb people don't have free will at all, they just go with the hormonal flow. You have to earn or even learn your free will by being self aware and rational.
>>
File: atheists.png (507 KB, 800x562)
507 KB
507 KB PNG
>>16525089
one of the "four horsemen" of reddit fedora /r/atheism, he claims that we are all "philosophical zombies", soulless automatons incapable of experiencing anything, kind of like /pol/ and its "NPCs", he never seemed to realize it was a thought experiment and not to be taken literally
>>
>>16528241
Why do so many triggered anons never seem to realize the "four horsemen" was a marketing gimmick since all of them had books coming out at the same time?
These people barely know each other and don't agree on much.
>>
File: 1680375125305771.png (3.04 MB, 2288x1700)
3.04 MB
3.04 MB PNG
>>16525083
And as sad as this death is at least NDEs are real and prove that there is an afterlife and that we are eternal and will go to heaven unconditionally when we die. So he is literally in paradise now having the time of his eternal life.

>B-b-but he didn't believe that!!!!!!!!!!

Neither did all NDErs. Then they entered the light and realized they were wrong. And so did he. Indeed, NDEs are actually irrefutable proof that heaven really is awaiting us all because (1) people see things during their NDEs when they are out of their bodies that they should not be able to under the assumption that the brain creates consciousness, and (2) anyone can have an NDE and everyone is convinced by it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U00ibBGZp7o

So any atheist or materialist or agnostic would be too if they had an NDE, so pic related is literally irrefutable proof of life after death. As one NDEr pointed out:

>"I'm still trying to fit it in with this dream that I'm walking around in, in this world. The reality of the experience is undeniable. This world that we live in, this game that we play called life is almost a phantom in comparison to the reality of that."

If NDEs were just hallucinations then extreme atheists and neuroscientists who had NDEs would agree that they were halluinations after having them. But the opposite happens as NDEs convince every skeptic when they have a really deep NDE themselves.
>>
>>16528809
Look if your book isn't selling shilling it here of all places isn't going to help it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.