[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images.png (2 KB, 275x183)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
What serious books would you recommend me to understand Lebanon-Israel relations?

Okay, as far as I know:
-Lebanon used to be the richest country in ME region until Israel filled it with tons of Palestine refugees.
-Lebanon civil war happens and Israel gets into it (Waltz with Bashir, etc).
-Somehow now lebanese Christians, despite being less than 50% now, tend to consider Hezbollah their national heroes against Israel bullying.

I want to have the big picture. People tend to think that Lebanon failed because of muslims, but I don't think so. Everytime muslim world goes mad, Mossad is behind it, and I want a history book that takes this narrative into account and considers the role of Intelligence Agencies in this conflict. American and Israeli historians, and also superleftist historians, are highly suspicious and not prefered, I just want the truth. If the book also takes into account the posibility that Israel is behind international sunni terrorism, the book insterests me even more.
>>
>>16524101
Lebanon took Palestinian refugees. They started chimping out. Israel retaliated(still dickish because they basically attacked Lebanon) Badabim bada boom. Lebanese civil war and current state of things. Shame really Lebanon used to be called Switzerland of the Middle East.
>>
>>16524463
So basically they imported brown goblins and paid the price?
>>
>until Israel filled it with tons of Palestine refugees
Fedayeen tried to claim territory in Jordan, and the King expelled them with military force in an event known as Black September. Lebanon took them in and gave them a place to stay in the south. Israel has nothing to do with this, the Lebanese let them into the country out of support for their plight. This caused an increase of tensions between Lebanese christians who were always skeptical of pan-arabism and Lebanese muslims who saw it as their duty to the Ummah. There's a lot more background to cover with a lot of political subfactions, and some of it has its roots going back to independence, but essentially tensions boiled over when the PLO and another Islamist militia massacred the christian village of Damour.
>Lebanon civil war happens and Israel gets into it
For complicated reasons, the Lebanese military doesn't stop the fedayeen from using Southern Lebanon to stage attacks against Israel. During the first invasion of the Israelis, they just attack the Palestinian camps in the South. Later on, they'd besiege Beirut as punishment for failure to contain the PLO. It was with the siege of Beirut that Christian Lebanese started to sour on Israel.
>Somehow now lebanese Christians, despite being less than 50% now, tend to consider Hezbollah their national heroes against Israel bullying
Nobody thinks this. Lebanese Christians and most Lebanese Muslims hate Hezbollah, and see them as the reason the country has gone down the shitter by turning it into an islamist puppet of Iran. It's also common consensus that Israel prefers Hezbollah's current position because they work as better border guards than the Lebanese military ever did
>People tend to think that Lebanon failed because of muslims
It failed because of irreconcilable differences of vision for the country's future caused infighting, and Iranian imperialism prevented recovery.

t. Lebanese Christian diaspora
>>
For seven weeks, Israel attacked the city by sea, air, and land, cutting off food and water supplies, disconnecting the electricity, and securing the airport and some southern suburbs, but for the most part coming no closer to their goals. As with most sieges, the population of the city, thousands of civilians, suffered alongside the PLO guerrillas. Israel was roundly accused of indiscriminately shelling the city in addition to the other measures taken to weaken the PLO. By the end of the first week of July 500 buildings had been destroyed by Israeli shells and bombs.

At the end of July, with negotiations still deadlocked, the IDF intensified its attacks. Mossad, using their Phalangist contacts, sent Arab agents into Beirut with car bombs in order to terrorize the Palestinians into submission and the Lebanese to increase pressure for their departure. Dozens of people were killed in these bombings. Some of the Israeli agents were caught and ultimately confessed

The Israeli Air Force intensified missions specifically designed to assassinate Palestinian leaders – Yassir Arafat, Abu Jihad and Salah Khalaf (Abu Iyad). The Israelis were assisted by agents with transmitters on the ground. Although a number of apartment houses were destroyed with hundreds of Palestinians and Lebanese killed or wounded, the leaders managed to evade bombings.

On 10 August, when American envoy Philip Habib submitted a draft agreement to Israel, Sharon, probably impatient with what he regarded as American meddling, ordered a saturation bombing of Beirut, during which at least 300 people were killed.
>>
>>16525617
That bombing was followed by a protest to the Israeli government by President Ronald Reagan. Within 20 minutes of a phone call between Reagan and Begin, in which the former said the bombings were going too far and needed to stop, Begin ordered the bombings stopped.[6] On 12 August, the Israeli cabinet stripped Ariel Sharon of most of his powers; he was not allowed to order the use of air force, armored force and artillery without agreement of the cabinet or prime minister. Ariel Sharon was later voted in as prime minister of Israel.

Bachir Gemayel, the Lebanese president-elect, was killed in Eastern Beirut a few weeks after the withdrawal of PLO forces. His death resulted in the Lebanese Forces entering the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps and slaughtering almost two thousand Palestinian civilians, mostly women, children and the elderly. This occurred under the supervision of Israeli troops who illuminated the areas with flares and provided bulldozers for mass burials of the victims.

Decades later, the siege was cited by Osama bin Laden as a major reason for the September 11, 2001 attacks.

God knows it did not cross our minds to attack the Towers, but after the situation became unbearable—and we witnessed the injustice and tyranny of the American-Israeli alliance against our people in Palestine and Lebanon—I thought about it. And the events that affected me directly were those of 1982 and the events that followed—when America allowed the Israelis to invade Lebanon, helped by the U.S. Sixth Fleet. As I watched the destroyed towers in Lebanon, it occurred to me to punish the unjust the same way: to destroy towers in America so it could taste some of what we were tasting and to stop killing our children and women.
—Osama bin Laden, 2004
>>
File: 1713320013988280.png (38 KB, 700x613)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
Also
>muh spies
>muh mossad
No, it's a very long and complicated history of Druze-Christian-Muslim power struggle boiling over for the billionth time. Mossad did not create Mount Lebanon's disdain for pan-arab nationalism, or the muslim concept of ummah, or the long history of religious intolerance and frequent massacres that have been going on for millenia. It's not just Christians and Muslims in the mix of all of this, either, nor are the lines of the like 5 different "teams" drawn exclusively along the lines of religious affiliation.

The road to the civil war is well documented and goes back to the 1860s. It's complicated. Extremely complicated. Probably more complicated than you're capable of understanding. At the very least you're never going to understand it from bite-sized internet quips. Whenever I see American/Europeans try to have an opinion on problems in the Levant, such as our civil war or the ongoing Gaza drama, I always have a reflex to tell them to shut the fuck up. Because without fail, they always say something completely retarded like "mossad/the french/the british/the cia/soviets/who-the-fuck-ever is behind it." as you've started to convince yourself of here. Stop trying to analyze us through a lense purely developed and designed to look at your own societies. You're just as bad as leftist retards who try to understand demographic fighting due to Anglo concepts of race, because that's all they fucking know.

I'm all for people actually learning about our history, but when you try to boil it down in these purely American/European contexts all you do is show immense disrespect to our lived tragedy. I'm so fucking sick of this shit man.
>>
>>16525650
Than you very much for your explanation, but you missunderstood my inner vision of things. Yes, I think Intelligence Agencies are behind major events in XXth and XXIrh centuries, but not only in Levant, but also in Europe.

I am Spanish, so I am racially and culturally just you. And I basically think that both CIA and Mossad are behind Carrero Blanco's death, ETA terrorism, 11M and lots of other things in Spain. It is not a question of first world being in charge of every aspect of world history, but major and evil superpowers writing hidden history pages.

And it is not conspiranoia, in XXIIth century at least some of these things will be considered history, although I would like to read more Lebanese testimonies and historians like you.
>>
>>16524101
sounds like it was the Palestinians who destroyed Lebanon.
>>
>>16525822
>a fucking spaniard mad at imperialism
lol. lmao even. sorry we didn't do it hundreds of years ago i guess?
>>
>>16525650
You type like an emotional woman.
>>
File: 1712153063957240.png (553 KB, 1024x853)
553 KB
553 KB PNG
>>16525838
>BE GUILTY FOR THE SINS OF YOUR ANCESTORS GOY
>AND ALSO LET US LOOT AND KILL TODAY

le no
>>
>>16525919
>you can't discuss history on this history forum!
>>
>>16525822
>you misunderstand my simplistic reduction of your country's recent history to a shadowy struggle between intelligence agencies
I don't think he misunderstood you at all
>>
>>16524101
>What's 2+2
>And don't say it's 4 know for a certain it's 5
>>
>>16525170
They're all brown, retard
>>
Lebanon destroyed Lebanon. Nobody fucks Lebanon harder then the current people and their tyrants.
>>
>>16525514
>diaspora
lmao
>>
>>16526345
Are you a true lebanese?
>>
>>16524101
Read 'Pity the Nation', written by a British journalist who lived there most of his life and saw the decline first- hand.
Goes into the history of the country through to the multiple civil wars.
Very fascinating and even handed, i was actually surprised at how he calls out both Israelis and Palestinians for their awful acts. Same for the Muslim and Christian militias.
>>
>>16525650
Not even Lebanese, but this.
I haven't looked much into Lebanon, but I've done a fair amount of research on Israel/Palestine, and I can confirm 99% of the people talking about it don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Like if I bring up anything that happened before '48, like the Three Oaths, Herzl, Stern Gang, etc. I get met with total confusion.
Any attempt to boil a multigenerational conflict down to one or two issues or even one or two sentences is going to be bullshit.
>>
>>16527600
Thanks, I will start it. Although I would prefer to read non anglo authors.
>>
>>16524463
/this

Palestinians are to blame for Lebanon destruction
>>
>>16524101
Why are Arab propaganda threads on 4chan always so dumb and clear to tell?
>>
>>16525650
As an american, I completely agree. Your conflicts have nothing to do with us as a people and our meddling is the result of a terminally out of touch class of ultra wealty elitists who could care less what happens to us or what is in americas best interests.

I'm not going to pretend to understand the middle east, I just want my country to stop getting involved in its conflicts and sowing chaos, war and strife wherever it goes.

It has nothing to do with us, its not our fight, its not our problem. We don't belong there and everything we do makes it worse.
>>
>>16527795
>>16527781
go home idf
>>
>>16528840
What bothers me the most is American politicians who know NOTHING about the middle east basically turning suffering and human misery into pay per view cable so chickenhawks can get their rocks off watching nuetered war footage and sing the star spangled banner while praising old glory like its still world war 2.
>>
>>16527795
80% of arabs are legally mentally disabled
>>
>>16524101
Lol what has Lebanon accomplished since 300 AD?
>>
>>16528861
If there actually were some sort of cabal of billionaire masterminds behind it all and not some nueve riche neo-conservative jackasses, it would almost be comforting.

The fact is that to get elected in america you need access to one of the big three media networks, and those networks are controlled by zionist interests who will not give air time to any politician who does not support Israeli interests.
>>
>>16528882
You can not, as an American politician, openly criticize Israel or our interventionalist middle eastern policies and hope to get elected in this country, they will cut your legs out from under you. The media and the military industrial complex feed into each other, the media criticizes Israel and supports Palestine so that the conflict can continue indefinitely, selling weapons to all sides while making money off the media's fear mongering at the same time.

It doesn't matter if you support Israel or Palestien because the goal isn't peace, its to maintain a limited scale conflict that our countries elites can profit off of indefinitely.
>>
>>16528904
Being pro-Palestine is more acceptable than supporting an isolationist policy towards the middle east, because its controlled opposition.

Even pro Israeli talking points that advocate for a hardline stance with scorched earth type policies get censored, because its not about 'ending' the conflict, its about making sure it continues as long as is humanly possible.
>>
>>16528904
The media can always claim to be sympathetic to the Palestinian cause but will always support Zionist interests within the United States. Just like the military industrial complex, pentagon, ect. claim to support Israel, but withdraw support the minute the conflict escalates past the status quo.
>>
>>16528963
You can also see how cynical Arab leaders are in this regard, maintaining the conflict is useful to them to remain in power, but they will not accept Palestinian refugees. They will provides weapons and armament to Hamas and Hesbolah, but when it comes to allowing them within their own borders, they draw a line in the sand.
>>
>>16528977
Its really about jews killing jews, but they aren't going to teach you that at sunday school.
>>
>>16528840
>Anon literally states that the conflict has various causes that have been brewing for centuries and claiming one nation or group is solely responsible is ridiculous
>NO ANON I'M SO SORRY MY COUNTRY DID THIS PLEASE FORGIVE ME
>>
>>16528840
>its not our fight, its not our problem
???????
US would collapse tommorow if saudis pull the plug
>>
>>16528904
makes sense
>>
I won't comment about politics or history (it's just life, and yeah people are stupid but what can you do), but I feel the need to reply to this thread because it's about my country.

You know, in spite of all its problems, I'm still grateful to be Lebanese. It's a beautiful country and I have had the privilege of living a comfy life here. If I end up dying prematurely in a war or something like that, I don't mind. That said, I would have preferred to be born in Italy or Croatia, but c'est la vie.
>>
>>16530090
>I won't comment about politics or history
Why not? This is /his/ - History & Humanities.
>I would have preferred to be born in Italy or Croatia
Are you a Maronite?
>>
>>16524101
>Beware of Small States is an immensely absorbing and thoroughly researched book on Lebanon's critically turbulent history which unavoidably evolves into the history of Middle East's Arab - Israeli conflict. The author David Hirst, explains how Lebanon endured seemingly endless turmoil since its independence from France in 1943 and played an unwilling role since then, for the unrest in that part of the world. The book is not an easy ready by any means. This is history with all its ugly truth and some more.

>Hirst's perspective is based on actual geo-political facts and the events that sowed the seeds of imminent conflict that caused the six Israel - Arab wars to date, the rise of Arafat's Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO), how Ayatollah Khomeini's militant group, Hizbullah got involved from Iran, Syria's so called big brother protection of Lebanon and interfering into its politics, other Arab leader's non-reaction when the need to do so was at hand and of course, Israel's relentless pursuit of aggression to disable any form of unity that would threaten its own existence - the root cause for this whole mess to start with.

>For those as ignorant as I was on the conflicts that plagued Middle East especially after World War II, was born from the Palestine - Israel issue. This one underlying thorn caused Lebanon more than 40 years of turbulent existence which it had nothing to do from the outset. Like the author put it, Lebanon became the 'battleground of other people's wars'. Alas, being geographically poised to offer such a ground for two warring parties, unwittingly and inevitably Lebanon got drawn into the 'Arab - Israeli struggle' on Lebanon's land.
>>
>>16524101
>Lebanese muslims welcome the Palestinian refugees
>Lebanese christcucks start seething and attack a bus filled with children and women which was the first blood that started the while shitty civil war
>the commit treason and side with the Israeli enemy
>to the surprise of no one Israel backtabs them and abandon them after they completed their objective (driving out the PLO from Lebanon)
>christcucks instead of staying in their ancestors land and fighting for it they flee the country on masses reducing the christcuck population to 33% from 50%
>christcucks now are still lacking any sense of dignity and begging for fucking France to come back and rule them while at the same time they criticize Hizbollah for being an Iranian puppet
the problem always lies with the christrannies, see Jordan (99% muslim country) it also had a war with Paelstinain refugees but they fixed it without going retard mode burning the entire country like the christcucks in Lebanon did
>>
>>16530842
Thanks for the recommend; David Hirst is excellent, 'The Gun and the Olive Branch' is necessary reading on Israel/Palestine.
>>
The civil war was bad, but that was like 30 years ago. The real thing killing Lebanon is their absolutely braindead political system which tries to slice the pie of power into equal parts for Christians, Sunnis, and Shias. When the most important qualification for the leader of a branch of government is religion, you are ensuring corruption will happen.

They need a Mao Zedong or Stalin type to completely BTFO Islam and Christianity, and then Lebanon will start to improve.
>>
>>16532616
>They need a Mao Zedong or Stalin type
>and then Lebanon will start to improve.
LMAO
>>
>>16532653
No more religion, no more corruption in Lebanon
>>
What was Syria's role in the
civil war?
>>
>>16533741
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.