[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: charlem.jpg (10 KB, 225x225)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
Why doesn't France have the same richness in mythology and folklore as many other historically significant cultures, like the English, Norse, Romans, etc?
>>
>>16523569

They do, France's mythological folklore is the Roman Empire and previous Republic. This is because France, as Italy and Spain, are former Roman provinces speaking dialects of Rome's language.
>>
Is the Matter of France a joke to you?
>>
>>16523569
*J. R. R. Tolkien has joined the chat*
>>
>>16523569
the french are the most "european" europeans
>>
>>16523569
>carolingian cycles
>created almost all of the relevant parts of the arthurian cycle
France is the most influential source of mythology.
>>
>>16523569
>Why doesn't France have the same richness in mythology and folklore as many other historically significant cultures, like the English, Norse, Romans, etc?
bro...i hate the french and even i'm like...bro...
>>
>>16523599
Yeah, and then if you track Don Quixote through from the Carolingian chivalshonen you get literally all of Western literature post 1600.
>>
>>16523605
separate conversation but pretty wild that the modern novelist (Cervantes), modern playwrite/poet (Shakespeare), and modern essay (Montaigne) all basically appeared in the same generation. though i suppose, that's how it happens through all of history in a way.
>>
>>16523569

Do you speak French?
>>
>>16523591
>*J. R. R. Tolkien has joined the chat*
reddit + not french
>>
>>16523647
I think it's more that prior to that half of the century you had too many barriers to getting a work published like that. You'd have to go through the Church, and besides that transcription was expensive and made it rare. The printing press changed that, and it helped that they all came from countries where the church wasn't much of an influence (Cervantes for their decadence and obscurantism, Shakespeare for living with a king-pope instead of a pope-pope, and Montaigne for living in the Congo-tier shitshow that was the French Wars of Religion, and also anti-clericalism)
>>
>>16523591
English + based on Anglo-Saxon mythology which is just Germanic mythology + hated the Normans since he thought they destroyed much of Anglo-Saxon culture + is clearly the spiritual antithesis of the revolutionary Fr*nch spirit
>>
>>16523663
No doubt you're not wrong. Definitely for Cervantes and Shakespeare. It helped that Montaigne's family was fucking looooooaaaaaaded...and also that he got it approved by the Vatican basically. But I don't see any way that Montaigne's subject matter and style would have possibly stopped his work nor how anyone could have possibly guessed how influential it would actually become.
>>
>>16523699
It's more that they suppressed it simply by not platforming it. It's incredibly useful, and influential, but it was totally unlike anything they'd seen before, because this was back when there was an understanding of the world as pagan and brutish and post-pagan and meek. If they had known what essays would do in retrospect I feel like they would have banned them outside of theology.
>>
>>16523569
>mythology and folklore
The 18th century crap made up by the church, you mean? Really, why don't they.
>>
>>16523659
>>16523676
Thanks for ruining the joke retards
>>
File: Tolkien stare.png (2.41 MB, 1771x1401)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB PNG
>>16523569
>like the English
>>
>>16523569
A quarter of all 4chan posts are just like this, assuming a retarded premise within a question as if it were a fact
>Why does [stupid opinion]
>How old were you when you realized [stupid opinion]
>>
>>16523569
French literature is absolute kino though, from Roland to Camus
>>
They do, it just didn't get made into TV shows, and since you don't read books, you don't know about it. Bad post OP, you should at least google questions before trying to make threads.

Song of Roland, most of Arthur, the Life of Charlemagne, Bodel's Matters, then the rest of the surviving Chansons de Gestes.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.