[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: google-pixel-8-in-hand.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
WTF?? IT MAKES ZERO SENSE
>>
>>100199569
Because they are the only mainstream phones with unlockable bootloaders
>>
>>100199569
Satan doesnt like you removing his spyware
>>
>>100199582
https://developer.sony.com/open-source/aosp-on-xperia-open-devices
>>
>>100199569
Because Android needs a development platform phone, and that's pretty much the Pixel line. AOSP best supports the Pixel because that was what it was made for. But also, ironically Google also invested a lot of money into hardware security features that actually work, and made it so alternative OSs could actually use those features. (Like a proper verified boot that's validated by the phone's secure element, thus GrapheneOS is the *only* alternative OS that actually uses verified boot. The rest are hacks in comparsion.)

I think people here misunderstand that Google is a fairly large company with many branches, some of them with different interests.
>>
>>100199603
Google actually dosen't care if you install alternative OSs on the Pixel line, they literally made them for developers. It won't even void the warranty.
>>
idk
>>
Because you give Google money regardless. If you really think about you're more or less paying a premium to not use Google software.
>>
>>100199614
>if Sony performs a warranty repair, Sony will likely charge you a significant service fee
>the removal of DRM security keys may affect advanced camera functionality
>>
>>100199569
are you talking about GrapheneOS? it's not their fault that Google is the only company that gives you an option to easily unlock and relock (with custom roms) bootloader, has great hardware security features and has proper updates (for firmware too) instead of just giving you one OS update and telling you to fuck off like any other company.
>>
>>100199569
You don't. You can install LOS without gapps on a vast majority of devices.
>>100199582
Not true. Again there are numerous phones where you can unlock the bootloader.
>>
>>100200892
Moto phones?
>>
>>100200909
What, to install LOS or unlock the bootloader?
>>
>>100200325
>the removal of DRM security keys may affect advanced camera functionality

Based. Not an influensoor. I'd even gut that shit out.
>>
>>100200939
"Advanced camera functionality" is Sony-speak for "works after 6PM".
>>
>>100200933
Bootloader
>>
>>100200939
It's been a few years since I owned a Sony phone but from recollections you could back up your DRM keys and put the phone back to stock.
>>100200985
Yes, but there is a caveat. You can unlock the bootloader on Motorola phones and their dev support is probably the best of any Android phone right now. The hardware is cheap and the high end flagship are a good spec for a decent price. But, bootloader unlock also is dependent on where you got the phone and where you live. For instance, I had a Fold 4 which I unlocked a year back but because I live in the UK, there was some doubt whether I'd be able to do this because of Brexit and without EU law coverage, Samsung were going to lock the bootloader. Luckily the option was still available but I know there's issues if you live in the US, locked to carriers, etc.
>>
>>100199569
You don't.
https://devices.ubuntu-touch.io/
https://docs.sailfishos.org/Support/Supported_Devices/
>>100199582
They aren't and unlocked BL is not the only requirement. If you're just gonna install a custom android ROM, even without gapps, you're still running google software.
>>
>>100199569
YOU make zero sense. why would you drop vanilla android on a pixel?
>>
>>100201238
>pixel
>vanilla android
Who's gonna tell him.
>>
>>100199569
just buy a xiaomi. most of them support boot unlocking and custom roms
>>
>>100201262
who's gonna tell me what
how is the pixel android not the most vanilla you can get?
are you retarded?
>>
>>100201310
I think what the OP is asking is why GrapheneOS is only available on the Pixel line of phones and tablets. Yes, Pixels have vanilla Android as Google intended but to remove Google telemetry, you need to install Graphene or other custom firmware.
>>
>>100201310
AOSP is "vanilla", not Google's "Pixel Experience" aka "Numerous Good Morning Sirs OS"
>>
>>100201310
You have never seen raw android. What google ships with pixels is not it.
>>
>>100201387
>>100201427
maybe I'm retarded or drunk or both but how is the pixel android not vanilla if android is literally google's baby?
>>100201336
i see
>>
>>100201535
There is android and there's google brand android. It's like chromium and chrome. Both made by google but one is blatantly more spyware infested.
>>
>>100201557
damn, I am truly drunk AND retarded, this chromium chrome comparison made it. thanks anon.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.