[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images.jpg (6 KB, 225x225)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
Sure many people will point to some arbitrary technology change and say, THIS is what killed computing, but Terry was right. When they took away BASIC they took away the USER DEVELOPER and replaced him with a customer. BASIC was designed to be so easy to use that you could teach the whole thing to a Liberal Arts major in just a couple of days. Children of course could often pick it up in an afternoon.

Your computer used to come with a manual telling you all about the hardware, BASIC, and how to use BASIC to access your computer's unique capabilities. Yet it was compatible with every other computer, because they all came with and frequently booted to BASIC from ROM, and the core of BASIC more or less worked the same on all platforms. By the time MS BASIC was popular, it was also the basis for most commercial home computer BASICs. Different arch, etc? Didn't matter at all as long as you had the paltry RAM needed.

Once you were a little better at programming, and you would have learned some BASIC even if it's just to load and run commercial software and do file and disk management, you could PEEK and POKE and drop to custom assembly techniques, which were easy because the CPUs were much simpler with a much smaller set of instructions. You could open the machine code monitor on your Apple computer, which Woz insisted they include and hand made personally, and even cheat at games, etc. Pirate software.

Now? Well we've got ourselves a herd of nigger cattle, as Terry would say. Instead of user-developers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBE6glZNJuU
>>
>>100175375
basic was great. You could just start writing code immediately after turning on your c64 or similar micro. And my boomer parents had no problems writing programs in basic, the same parents who nowadays just ask me for help with all computer issues no matter how trivial. It's the same with modern cars, vs old cars you could fix yourself.
>>
>>100175723
you can do the same thing with gpt THOUGH
just give it a program scope, write specifically what you want in english and it'll write the code for you in a language of your choice
it's infinitely better than basic if your only argument is 'muh boomers could learn it'
>>
>>100175754
it's not that boomers could learn it, it's that they actually cared about learning it, since everything wasn't just simple, but understandable and transparent too
>>
>>100175375
Unironically this.
It's not that computers are hard to understand. It's just that they are now designed to be magical black boxes that instill a sense of learned helplessness on the nigger cattle that use them.

>verification not required
>>
>>100175375
I started on QBasic and a TI-Calc for mobile development.

Better than Nintendo.

Got a system with Windows 95, "Where's the coding program?" Had to buy Visual Basic to make it feel like a real computer.
>>
>>100175375
Gambas is allright, i've heard good things about Xojo too.
>>
>>100175754
>you can do the same thing with gpt THOUGH
No, YOU can't. Some company can.

>>100177156
>simulating it all on a new pc
just get a basic machine bruh

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.