[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
https://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
https://cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
https://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
https://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
https://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/1175569

IRC: #sqt on Libera.Chat
https://fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread: >>100152520
>>
File: 1713838873579218.jpg (134 KB, 680x639)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>posted in dead thread
im trying to make a sort of local testing setup where i need to check for various network conditions, and frankly the tools on windows and mac are rather shit, and i also need to check mobile stuff, so those wont fly
what i came up with is a debian server on a small machine or laptop, configured so it would connect to my wifi, and split/control the connections/traffic for the other stuff
its been a hot 10 years since i last had to configure a debian server with firewall, routing and all that fancy stuff, and I've heard nowadays people just use tc or pfsense
What would be the best way to go about this, and what would be needed for it/how to do it?
main point would be to able to test various conditions when i only have access to wifi, and need it small as i would be on the move too along with home testing
>>
>>>100171154
anyone?
>>
>>100172170
try playing around with the niceness value and see if that helps anything, it might be a scheduler thing
lower niceness value = more cpu time allocated to a process, so launch ie steam or your browser from the terminal like so
nice -n -15 steam
or
nice -n -15 firefox
or w/e and see id that helps
>>
Who else is hyped for the new Ubuntu release?
>>
>>100172413
The new LTS releases are usually some kind of exciting because a very large amount of distros are about to upgrade to it as well.
>>
>>100171925
plz halp
>>
File: 1662925026115281.jpg (313 KB, 1445x1190)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
>>100172170
it could be a million things like power saving mode? steam is updating a game?

also nobara uses Zen patches on their kernel those patches are cancerous on older CPUs so if your CPU cant keep up in real time the process will 'time out' constantly because the timings are too tight

my recommendation is that you try a normal distro because of your CPU, you can find by using regular fedora. optimally a more lightweight environment like Cinammon,XFCE. or a distro focused on being lightweight like Lubuntu will go well on your PC
>>
>>100172480
https://man.archlinux.org/man/sddm.conf.5#SessionLogFile=~2
sddm.conf
SessionLogFile=/dev/null
>>
>>100172251
>>100172525
ill add to these that it could partially also be your governor switching frequencies all the time, causing stutter
you can try
find /sys/bus/cpu/devices/ -name "cpu*" -exec sh -c 'echo "performance" > {}/cpufreq/scaling_governor' ';'

to run your cpu at the highest frequency at all times
it may help you, but it will also rape your battery life, so aftee you test it you should either reboot your laptop (the changes dont persist throughout reboots) or do
find /sys/bus/cpu/devices/ -name "cpu*" -exec sh -c 'echo "schedutil" > {}/cpufreq/scaling_governor' ';'
to revert ir
>>
>>100171232
Help!!
>>
File: file.png (15 KB, 918x124)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
surely nothing bad will happen?
>>
>>100172413
>Ubuntu
C*ck distro.
>>
>>100172525
its on maximum power mode, no power savings and no steam isnt updating anything either, no idea why the library is so laggy, my assumption was that it the issue is with the GPU accelerator/driver.
I was using Debian with KDE before and had similar issue with Steam, also i enabled low performance mode on steam, its still slow.
>>100172567
i'll test it out, laptop is plugged in at all times anyway
>>100172251
this seems to have had some slight improvement on steam, but very slight
>>
>>100172810
>laptop is plugged in at all times anyway
it will make your cpu run hotter too
>>
any graphics ac acceld terminal barely runs (takes seconds per char) . i don't know why it's even attempting to load zink since the gpu shouldn't support vulkan and mesa was emerged without it.
xkbcommon: ERROR: couldn't find a Compose file for locale "C.UTF8" (mapped to "C.UTF8")
[116 13:45:51.127500] [glfw error 65544]: Failed to create XKB compose table for locale C.UTF8
MESA-LOADER: failed to open zink: /usr/lib64/dri/zink_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib64/dri, suffix _dri

Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics
driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: server: X.org v: 1.21.1.13 driver: X:
loaded: intel gpu: i915
resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo/xrandr>
resolution: 1280x800
API: EGL v: 1.4,1.5 drivers: crocus,swrast
platforms: gbm,x11,surfaceless,device
API: OpenGL v: 3.3 vendor: mesa v: 24.0.4
renderer: softpipe

i've already rebuilt the whole system and mesa.
>>
I've got 1.2 gbps internet but only 1gbps ethernet controller in the motherboard. I also have a wi-fi card.
Is it possible to combine the wi-fi and ethernet connections together so I get full bandwith?
Or maybe should I just get a new cable and a usb ethernet card?
>>
>>100172098
for fall for tranny memes, do exactly as you did 10 years ago
>>
>>100173033
install st, it will both be faster and not waste your GPU on this shit
>>
>>100173534
There are 2.5GBit/s Ethernet adapters (USB3 or PCI-E, get a PCI-E if you have free expansion slots), that's the proper solution. You probably already have CAT5 cables, it should be OK. If you you can always replace them later.

Alternatively if you have a fat purse you can go all in get a 10Gbit/s card.
>>
>tv is connected to my pc, but off
>use another screen as my single main display
>turn on tv
>main display turns black for a couple of seconds, then turns back to being the single main display as it should
any idea how to stop the screen from turning black for a couple of seconds whenever i turn on the tv? i have honestly no clue where to start. couldnt find anything helpful so far. i'm on arch with kde6 and nvidia
>>
>>100173740
switch input on tv, or if it can, set a default one
>>
>>100172576
>>100171232
By any chance, is your HD a SeaGate drive manufactured circa 2011? Because the same thing happened to me, there was a bad batch of SeaGate HD with faulty firmware, all of them are a ticking time bomb just waiting to crap out.

Could also be another issue though. But go check your HD model and manufacturing date, if you have the same issue I did, I can tell you how to fix it. (I fixed it myself while the repair dude couldn't)
>>
>>100172720
>C*ck distro
mmm cock
>>
>>100173670
what meme nigga
>>
>>100174030
Linux still use iptables in 2024, noone cares about tranny wrappers
>>
Do i need to disable RPM Fusion to update Fedora to a next release?
>>
>>100174358
no
>>
Whats the best Linux distro if I want to make a Linux gaming PC using AMD RDNA2 GPU?
>>
File: 1708102907242640.png (13 KB, 698x415)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>100172689
everything went well
i finna orgasm !!!
>>
>boot up devuan system
>X server refuses to start
>logs say it's segfaulting somewhere in OsLookupColor
what the actual fuck. it's a completely fresh install so I have no problems nuking whatever but my curiousity compels me to find the issue
>>
>>100174834
>devuan
stopped reading here
install gentoo
>>
>>100174834
>niche distro made by contrarians doesn't work
imagine my shock
>>
>>100174834
install Gentoo, dumb nigger
>>
>>100174893
hey this is a friendly thread
>>
>>100174865
>niche distro made by contrarians
Perfect for /g/.
>>
>>100173893
No it's a Samsung 870 evo
>>
isnt the new ubuntu LTS supposed to come out tomorrow? the download page still lists 22 as the latest LTS release
>>
>>100175017
today*, im a retard
>>
>>100174713
Anything with fairly recent packages. Arch, Fedora / Nobara, Gentoo, ...
>>
>>100174865
i like debian but man fuck systemd right up lennart's twink asshole
>>
As a new user, why is there so much complaining about systemd?
>>
>>100173893
Different Anon but I'd like to know your details. I have a 2013 SeaGate that I haven't gotten around to troubleshooting (it made Windows throw a fit).
>>
>>100175179
because it's shit enough to make a website about it https://nosystemd.org/
>>
>>100172055
I have a laptop connected to a monitor.
Desktops like mate and xfce do not disable my laptop display and instead do stupid stuff like try to suspend or try to blank both monitors.
While KDE and GNOME,(hell even hyprland with a bit of editing of the config) know to disable my laptop display.
Is there a way to make MATE and XFCE mimic this behavior?
>>
>>100172689
>>100174803
Dod you have RPMFusion enabled? I'm new to Fedora, have a mini PSTD over doing system upgrades with PPAs on Ubuntu. Also it is me or the Fedora Plasma spin feels less polished and slower than the others? Which is ironic because, so far Plasma has been really nice in this distro. No random ugly crashes or surprises unlike Neon.
>>
>>100175640
consider creating a btrfs snapshot before the upgrade
also rpmfusion is much better in quality than random ppa
>>
>>100175057
You're right but Devuan's not the solution you're searching for. >>100174865 is right, Devuan still thinks Sysv init is the gold standard and they think that because…?

Gentoo is a much better system. Artix is okay. Void is decent if you don't mind Runit (personally I'm not a fan of its lack of dependency system).
None of these systems use Sysv.
>>
>>100172055
i need mathcad or smath, can anyone here explain to me how i can use either of them on ubuntu? new to linux, my thinkpad couldn‘t handle windows anymore. i tried smath with mono but it‘s contantly crashing
>>
>>100175792
>rpmfusion is much better in quality than random ppa
Both are on par as far as:
>I have a mini PSTD over doing system upgrades with PPAs on Ubuntu
Is concerned.

You can do snapshots on Ubuntu too and they're good for being able to revert to a known good state but do nothing to address the real issue of the breakage which is that there's no coordination between your distro and unsupported third-party repositories.
>>
>>100175256
Do you have any idea how many shitty sites there are dedicated to a person trying (grasping) to justify their opinions?
>>
mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/sda1
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=grub

Arch linux doesn't boot after doing this
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=grub /dev/sda1

Arch linux doesn't boot after doing this.
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=grub

Arch linux doesn't boot after doing this.

Fuck this gay distro. The wiki spends 90% of the time going on about doing stupid "tricks" and workarounds but doesn't explain why this doesn't work.
>>
>>100176339
this isn't one of them, Lennart.
>>
>>100176402
A lot of those issue citations are pretty petty, my dude. "Why doesn't this bit stop me from fucking myself?" etc.
>>
>>100176418
other init systems doesn't cause those bits that can make me fuck myself to begin with
>>
File: grub c*ck.png (29 KB, 468x104)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>100176380
have you done
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg 
? what does "doesn't boot" mean?
>>
>>100176402
>>100176418
I enjoy the email regarding conflicts between systemd and something else they've used to supplement it (without disabling the systemd component) and saying that ideally there should be consistent adoption so that doesn't happen being labeled "CREATOR SAYS EVERYONE MUST USE SYSTEMD!!!!!!"
>>
>>100176472
>Well, it is definitely our intention to gently push the distributions in
the same direction so that they stop supporting deviating solutions
I enjoy the fact that Lennart posts ITT, he should kill himself though.
>>
bring back unity canonicalcucks
>>
>>100176380
You didn't create the GRUB config file, anon.
>grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Also make sure efibootmgr is installed.
>>
>>100176493
I get that you have an investment in your site but you have the same energy as the countless far left/right mailing list bullshit looking for things to misconstrue as conspiracy.
>>
>>100176520
Not my site, enjoy your cucked systemd+wayland distro.
>>
>>100176459
It means once grub is installed I activate networking daemon, exit, umount -a and reboot. Then after my thinkpad shows the splash screen it shows me an ncurses-style display listing my HDD which when I select with enter, it reboots again and continues returning to that screen, it won't boot anything, I don't get any grub screen or grub errors.

I edit /etc/default/grub, put my root luks UUID, i.e. "cryptdevice=UUID=yadayada:root root=/dev/mapper/cryptroot". Enable cryptodisk=y. Then grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

No errors, but won't let me start it up.
>>
>>100176524
I didn't say anything in defense of systemd. I attacked the attack. Cope, faggot.
>>
>>100176517
I installed efibootmgr, it lists GRUB on Boot0013, hd, part1. It looks like it's installed properly because It also shows GRUB on Boot0013 on a different distro that boots without problems.

I even tried deleting the systemd .efi stubs after it, i.e. 14-17 using efibootmgr -B.
>>
>>100176547
I'm not interested in your pathetic attempts at astroturfing, Lennart.
>>
>>100172055
>*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

>Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.
nice. good thread.
>>
>>100176558
>this argument seems weak
>ASTROTURFING
I am more and more convinced that you are the one responsible for labeling that email as it was.
>>
>>100176610
But enough of GNU/Windows fanboyism on GNU/Linux thread.
>>
>>100176532
not sure from this if you're configuring grub correctly ( do you have GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX before the crypt.... ). Do you have an encrypted boot partition? Are you following https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system#Configuring_GRUB_2??
>>
"This guy disagreeing with me must be invested. I'll say that he's the creator of whatever we're talking about coming to a tibetan typesetting forum in defense of it!" is a really awful meme.
>>
>>100176558
>>100176547
>>100176524
>>100176520
>>100176493
>>100174893
guys youre not being friendly
>>
>>100176631
Yes, I put it in quotes GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="cryptdevice=UUID=yadayada:root root=/dev/mapper/cryptroot"

/dev/sda1 = boot (FAT32) 1GiB
/dev/sda2 = / (EXT4) 30+GiB
/dev/sda3 = /home (EXT4)

/boot is not encrypted, / and /home are
>>
>>100176713
systemd isn't friendly either and systemd based distros need not apply ITT
>>
>>100176720
Did you update /etc/mkinitcpio.conf with the needed hooks and regenerate the initramfs?

>/dev/sda2 = / (EXT4) 30+GiB
You're gonna run out of space for /usr and /var eventually.
>>
>>100177127
Yes, I added encrypt to mkinitcpio.conf hooks before filesystems then ran mkinitcpio -p linux-zen (yes I had the correct packages installed in pacstrap).

I just want to get arch installed to fine tune the hyprland configs I want to use, I'm not bothered about space on / right now.
>>
>>100172055
Just upgraded Nobara to 39, but I've run into a problem where it's reading my display as a generic 1024x768 screen when it's supposed to be 1080. Thing is, if I boot it in the 0-Rescue mode, everything is working just fine, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to be using that for everyday use.
Wat do?
>>
>>100176512
https://ubuntuunity.org/
>>
>>100177127
You know what I'm just going to do a bare bones installation without encryption, it's too much messing around for me troubleshooting this shit. Thanks anyway
>>
>>100175640
sorry, only saw this now. yeah, i had rpmfusion enabled when i did the upgrade.
>Also it is me or the Fedora Plasma spin feels less polished and slower than the others?
i also felt that, and i’m coming from gentoo kek. kde f40 feels a lot more responsive, i’m enjoying it a lot.
just go for it anon.
>>
>>100177222
You could try using archinstall. It can handle encrypting drives for you.
>>
>>100177189
Ignore this, I just think the install fucked up. I'm just gonna wipe everything and start fresh
>>
>>100174939
Sucks. Still to me it looks like there's either a problem with the firmware or the partition table. If it's just a damaged partition table you could try downloading the Parted Magic live ISO, booting it up from USB, and try using the Testdisk utility to repair the partition table. If it's the firmare (as it happened on my SeaGate) you are gonna need a more complicated solution.

www.partedmagic.com
www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

>>100175242
Check if your SeaGate is a Barracuda 7200.11. That batch had faulty firmware which caused them to fail.
It was a massive problem at the time.

If so, you need to follow the instructions here to download the patched firmware (or just try the SeaGate site, to be on the safe side)
Then you need to purchase or make yourself a device like the one shown on that page, in order to be able to upload the newer firmware.

https://sigma-shop.com/product/112/ft232bm-bl-seagate-barracuda-7200-11-firmware-fix-tool-complete-usb-powered.html
>>
File: 41564874_0_jpg.jpg (192 KB, 630x630)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
>>
>>100177436
ST3000DM001 appears to indeed be the 7200.11 model, though mine has a 10/2013 date of manufacture. I dunno that I want to fuss with a tool to flash it, though, at least not without knowing that it is indeed suffering a firmware issue suddenly kicking in after years of use. I'll have to get around to trying it under linux first.
>>
>>100172576
What does dmesg say when you try to mount it?
>>
>>100175179
Well, the other anon just linked you a great site explaining, but if you want a simple answer: Complexity is a threat to open source.
The more bloated a piece of code is, the harder it is to understand what it's doing, how all its moving parts work, what vulnerabilities there are to it, etc.

Systemd has 1.3 million lines of code. It has grown into a monster that takes over your entire system and tries to manage everything itself, whereas with a simple script-based init system like runit, sysvinit or Open RC, you know exactly what the code is doing, what services are being started, you can manage and set up said services yourself, alter the order on which they start up, etc. The code is simple to understand, less bloated, and gives wthe user more control. Of course the downside is that you need to set up all the services yourself, since the init won't do it for you the way Systemd does, so you need to know what services you need and how to set them up (a cron daemon for example), but overall it's much better to have control over your OS.

Check for example the .xz supply chain attack... it only affected Systemd distros, because only systemd pulled in the compromised liblzma repositories that created the backdoor which affected ssh.
So thanks to the complexity and bloat of systemd, you had a malicious edit on one library (liblzma) affecting another program (ssh) even though there was no direct connnection between the two.
Systemd's desire to manage everything was the connection between these two systems.
>>
>>100177498
Well SeaGate issued a firmware fix many years later, so 2013 might still be affected, I dunno.

Mine was showing up when doing lsblk but not on fdisk. It also made a weird clicking noise. That's all I can add to help in your diagnostics anon, rest is up to you.
>>
While Ubuntu 24.04 just landed, I can't seem to find any info on when the HWE backport of the 6.8 kernel is for 22.04 LTS.
Anyone happen to know when thats happening?
>>
File: 1986 logo.png (7 KB, 220x53)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>100177675
>SeaGate
Stop capitalizing the G, it's never been written that way.
>>
Trying to install .net in wine because some software needs it. I'm getting
0124:err:ole:marshal_object Failed to create an IRpcStubBuffer from IPSFactory for {659cdeac-489e-11d9-a9cd-000d56965251} with error 0x80004002
and I cannot find any fix for it. Any wine wizards that are in the know?
>>
File: 1652005376087.png (42 KB, 107x100)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
Any simple note taking software like libreoffice i can paste images to and not have bloat i also dont like libre office please
>>
>>100177888
Are you using Winetricks? I have no idea what that error is. It's garbage as is typical of Windows software.
>>
>>100177951
no, just regular wine
>>
>>100177951
>>100177962
you're a life saver bro, installing it using winetricks worked flawlessly
>>
File: 1700195290625278.png (41 KB, 1252x418)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
Does anyone make their own shortcut icons?
This one is pretty big, but I was just doodling around.
>>
>>100177389
Yep, that did it.
>>
>>100177649
>Systemd has 1.3 million lines of code
Prove it.
>>
>>100178512
https://www.theregister.com/2020/01/06/linux_2020_kernel_systemd_code/
This was back in 2020 even, its grown sizable since even
>>
>>100178512
It's pretty easy for you to verify that claim yourself with cloc:
https://pastebin.com/raw/FUk4YfD1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUM: 3792 280959 87033 1116098
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
File: file.png (17 KB, 187x166)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>100178310
I do
>>
File: 1714075888934.png (136 KB, 1003x761)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
>>100178609
>>100178537
Retards.
>>
>>100178935
That's not git master.

Try this:
docker run -it --rm --pull always alpine:edge /bin/sh -c 'cd /tmp && apk add --no-cache git cloc && git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/systemd/systemd.git && cd systemd && cloc .'
>>
>>100177347
The script is awful, it fucks up every single time.

>gives shit partition suggestion
>says 1GiB boot partition isn't big enough sometimes
>says luks_partition is an unknown filetype it can't mount (when using pre-prepared partition scheme

Though it now contains a "pre-mounted configuration" option but I have no idea how to use it, it was on my to-do list to read how to use it.
>>
>>100178995
>That's not git master.
Yes, I'm sure they added 900k lines in a few weeks.
>cd systemd && cloc .
That's not how you count lines of code in a program, you dumb fuck. Those 244k lines of text files and 25k lines of Python don't run on your machine.
And of the actual code, some is disabled on any system.
>>
>>100179126
>Those 244k lines of text files and 25k lines of Python don't run on your machine.
You're being pedantic. It's code that's part of Systemd. You can choose not to count it if you want, it doesn't change that fact.
>>
gentoobros, do you prefer using openrc or systemd as the init?
>>
>>100172530
A classic case of RTFM, thank you so much anon.
>>
>>100179194
OpenRC
>>
>>100179194
OpenRC.
I've used the Systemd image successfully in the past though. It works fine should you want it.
>>
File: wayland-just-no-werk.gif (1.08 MB, 640x360)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB GIF
>>100179194
'c
>>
>>100179194
why would you ever use systemd on gentoo
>>
>>100180126
why would you ever do anything differently to how someone else does it
>>
File: 1693769265487381.png (562 KB, 1293x1161)
562 KB
562 KB PNG
>>100178856
what do you use to create the icons with - and where do you save them so they show up in the dialog?
/usr/share/pixmaps ??
>>
>>100180191
[spoiler] not the same anon you asked [/spoiler]
because its fun and its cool if it works.
>>
>>100179194
systemd
>>
>>100172055
I love the awk programming language.
>>
Web is dead I can't find anything. How do I updoot to the new ubuntu?
>>
>>100180351
ask gippity
>>
>>100180351
maybe apt dist-upgrade?
>>
>>100180193
>what do you use to create the icons with
graphicsgale. Works pretty well with Wine.

>and where do you save them so they show up in the dialog?

I just save the icons I design in a folder that's placed anywhere you want. Then when you're on the 'select an icon' dialog, just go to where you kept the folder at and choose the icon you want to use. Pretty simple.
>>
why ssh into arch have like 5ms delay on every keystroke?
>>
>>100180404
>graphicsgale.
I'm going to try LibreOffice Draw and see how that works
>I just save the icons I design in a folder that's placed anywhere you want
I just want it to show up in the default dialog
>>
>>100180616
>I just want it to show up in the default dialog
You can just change the directory to it, can you not?
>>
>>100180586
xz backdoor
>>
>>100180697
It was never affected by that.
>>100180586
Probably PAM being shit.
>>
File: 1706590931745811.png (8 KB, 96x96)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>100180635
yeah, I just wasn't sure where. I guess I should just make .ico files, huh?
>>
File: 1701806541511862.png (9 KB, 96x96)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>100180944
I think I like this better
>>
>>100180944
>I guess I should just make .ico files, huh?
You can also use PNGs and JPGs for icons, unlike Windows.
>>
>>100180944
SVGs work as well
but if you're gonna use anything but SVG, make sure that the size of your desktop or your panel (whatever you're gonna use the icons on) has the same icon size as your image so that it comes out sharp and not blurry.
>>
File: 1700716943880768.png (92 KB, 301x241)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
>>100180992
>.png
>>
>>100177308
Thanks. I think most of the yankyness comes from PackageKit and Discover. I wonder if i can remove that shit without breaking something down the line, i don't mind managing my packages and Flatpacks through the CLI.
>>
>>100181029
Well there you go
>>
File: 1690856215856882.png (26 KB, 919x535)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>100181046
the .png is better.
the .svg saved funny for some reason.
>>
>>100180992
um actually Windowsâ„¢ now also supports png icons
>>
>>100181108
Do they support SVG too?
>>
Best screen recorder for hyprland?
>>
>>100181209
i think they do
jpg doesnt work tho
>>
Why is the XDG Trash spec so crap?
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/trash-spec/trashspec-latest.html

It completely fails (by design) to work across different mount points.
There's got to be a better way.
>>
>>100181256
Wait:
>An implementation MAY choose not to support trashing in some of these cases (notably on network resources and removable devices)

So, actually it is allowed for trash to work across different mount points it's just Gio being shit and generating this exception:
  File "/usr/lib/python3.12/site-packages/send2trash/plat_gio.py", line 17, in send2trash
f.trash(cancellable=None)
gi.repository.GLib.GError: g-io-error-quark: Can’t move to wastebasket on system internal mounts (15)

I could use a different implementation but all third-party software calls Gio.
>>
non bloated browser recommendation? something that can still post here but doesn't need GB's of ram.
>>
>>100181298
This isn't a network share or a removable drive either before someone jumps in to say you're stupid for wanting trash there.

This is a separate BTRFS subvolume in my home-directory. Gio treats it like it's a separate mount (because it is).

It could just follow the spec and make a .Trash-1000 dir in the top-level of the subvolume which is what trash-cli does.
>>
>>100181360
cute browser
>>
>>100181256
>>100181298
>>100181363
Thankfully send2trash has its own implementation I can use in this case.
Fuck GNOME for making this more complicated than it needs to be though:
diff --color -Naur a/send2trash/__init__.py b/send2trash/__init__.py
--- a/send2trash/__init__.py 2024-04-25 23:09:38.753023438 +0000
+++ b/send2trash/__init__.py 2024-04-25 23:10:04.291072062 +0000
@@ -13,9 +13,4 @@
elif sys.platform == "win32":
from send2trash.win import send2trash
else:
- try:
- # If we can use gio, let's use it
- from send2trash.plat_gio import send2trash
- except ImportError:
- # Oh well, let's fallback to our own Freedesktop trash implementation
- from send2trash.plat_other import send2trash # noqa: F401
+ from send2trash.plat_other import send2trash # noqa: F401
>>
Is Manjaro a good newfag distro if i don't install anything from the AUR?
>>
>>100181565
It's too bad file managers like Dolphin can't seem to discover these .Trash directories at the top-level and merge them with ~/.local/share/Trash though.

I haven't checked but I bet Nautilus can't do this either.
>>
File: 1711815765429972.jpg (20 KB, 225x225)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
hello frens, i just started using linux the other day (mint) and i impatiently shut my pc down through the external power button after selecting the "switch user" option when attempting to log out, my pc did not want to start at all for about 30 seconds. can anyone offer me some insight as to what was happening?
>>
>>100181745
Use Endeavour OS instead. Manjaro lags behind Arch which leads to security and stability concerns.
>>
File: qq.png (459 KB, 1280x800)
459 KB
459 KB PNG
just in time :D
>>
File: 1691522686669230.gif (1.36 MB, 342x316)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB GIF
>>100172055
Hello friendly penguins. I wanted to switch to linux again however last time I had a problem with my NTFS drive which almost wiped out a tone of data (luckily I managed to restore it using windows). My question is, what file system should I use for a drive I am planing to share between Linux and Windows? It seems linux doesn't like NTFS much.
>>
what's a linux compatible bluetooth adapter that will let me use my airpods pro in lignux? i've read not all bt 5.x adapters are compatible
>>
>>100182328
BTRFS (install the WinBTRFS driver on Windows)
>>
>>100182328
btrfs or ext4 you'll need to get some random drivers or mount it through WSL
>>
just installed nvidia driver 550 on linux mint since the newest one in the driver manager is 545, will this be an issue? works fine right now but will updates bork it? also, nvidia settings says im on 550 but driver manager says im on noveau
>>
>>100182421
>but will updates bork it?
Yes, expect it to crash and burn later on down the line. You should never install the driver directly from Nvidia.
>>
>>100182421
>but driver manager says im on noveau
Check the /sys/module directory or lsmod

lsmod | grep nouveau

Probably this is just a case of the driver manager not knowing about what you've done behind its back.
>>
>>100182328
If you plan on using the data from Windows a lot, you might want to just stick with NTFS. A few years ago, the Linux kernel mainlined a version of Paragon's fancy NTFS driver, so you can just mount NTFS drives natively: https://docs.kernel.org/filesystems/ntfs3.html
>>
Which tiling window manager do you fags like the best? I personally think qtile is supreme
>>
File: game pizza.gif (2.06 MB, 498x412)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB GIF
>>100179180
>literally not code
>"It's code"
>>
>>100182433
i installed from adding ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa to the repo if that counts but if its for the best i can uninstall and install it thru linux mint so i dont fuck myself
>>
>>100182328
Just stick with NTFS and use ntfs-3g.
The only thing you'll have to be mindful of is avoiding invalid NTFS filenames
>>
>>100182509
Sway/i3

I mostly use KDE Plasma these days though, although I do still have Sway installed and I also use Sway headlessly with wayvnc and:
env WLR_BACKENDS=headless WLR_RENDERER="pixman" sway -c /etc/sway/config

It works quite well if ever you want a "just werks" remote desktop environment that's simple, low on resources, has good and correct rendering but still done completely on the CPU (it can use the GPU too, just don't use pixman as the renderer)
>>
>>100182518
Okay, that should be fine then.
I assumed you manually downloaded it from Nvidia's website which some people that are new to Linux make the mistake of doing.
>>
>>100182509
You can't go wrong with awesome, Jwm or bswpm. i3 is ok too but i find bspwm more feature packed overall. Not sure about Wayland.
>>
>>100182552
if theres a kernel update will the driver be fine? a long time ago i was on arch and was told to use dkms, not sure how often mint does kernel updates
>>
>>100177840
Nobody cares how the name of your shit company is spelt, you should be refunding people for their destroyed drives.
>>
>>100182596
If it's a DKMS driver then it should be fine. If it's built for a specific Ubuntu kernel then things may break but you can just select the old kernel in the Grub menu.
>>
>>100182533
ntfs-3g is garbage, see >>100182498. ntfs3 has an option to prevent invalid windows filenames
>>
File: 1691049705706870.png (61 KB, 1006x836)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>100182498
>>100182533
This is what I was using before, but I don't know what happened, one day it just corrupted the file system entirely. I'm a basic ass user by the way, I don't do anything funky with my file systems, which is why I was asking.

To clarify on my setup: I have 3 completely separate disks, one for windows, one I use as a data / media storage (which is the one I want to share), and one for linux.

>>100182342
Does windows only support NTFS out of the box? Using win11 if that matters, I really don't want to have to fuck with WSL for this.
>>
>>100182634
ntfs or exfat
>>
>>100182634
>Does windows only support NTFS out of the box?
Correct. It supports other things like FAT and EXFAT but they're pretty shit for anything that's not an SD Card or USB Drive.

You can get BTRFS support just by installing a driver. It was originally written for React OS and works well.
https://github.com/maharmstone/btrfs
>>
>>100182546
is 6 still as buggy as 5? I remember random flickering and freezes happening quite often; more so than any other DE
>>
>>100182667
I will look into btrfs then, thank you.
>>
>>100182677
It's fine. The flickering and freezing are GPU driver issues. It still happens sometimes but less often now and it does recover from it.

I heard it's worse with Nvidia though. The next Nvidia driver should fix most of that.
>>
>>100172055
I have an XFCE question: how do I get thumbnail art to generate for music files (mp3s and so forth) in Thunar? I'm using Arch, and I've installed every optional dependency for thumbnail generation, and yet thumbnails for music files are the only thing that won't generate. It looks like the Arch package isn't compiled with support for the gstreamer plugin (which seems to be what is used for generating the music thumbnails). I guess worst comes to worst, Thunar supports defining custom thumbnailers (so I can just do that), but I was wondering if there was a more obvious solution that I'm missing.
>>
on hyprland the default application thing just got destroyed after I booted into a KDE session. Even in the KDE side its broken now. In Dolphin, none of the images, videos etc. have any default applications associations and when I press "open with" it gives me no options I have to manually insert the program name. Pressing "always open with this in this file type" does absolutely nothing either.

Strangely when I open anything with xdg-open it opens in correct application. If I click links in telegram, it opens them in firefox
>>
>>100182509
i used to like dwm, but these days im working on my own quasi-tiling window manager implemented with xdotool and jumpapp (which is itself just an xdotool/wmctrl script)
>>
>>100183148
tried thunar and yeah it seems dolphin and kde portal is broken
>>
>>100167733
Hardware support - or the lack of it - is a thing with Linux so you may want to use it on actual hardware.
Remember you can install one on a USB drive as Linux systems don't come with anti-features that'd prevent it.
>>100167953
Is Mint a thing now as Ubuntu has Snaps? I sure remember Mint making no sense at all back when Ubuntu was still good.
Been neckbearding for way too long so idk what distribution to recommend for normies.
>>
>>100183148
So it's not just me? I was trying to get this to work a few days ago trying dolphin out. I discovered it keeps leaving .desktop files in directories that I look in. I don't know what the fuck its problem is. Every time I selected /usr/bin/mpv for a webm it just forgot it instantly. No idea how to suggest you fix it because I don't really use DEs, though I've just installed a hyprland config that uses dolphin so I'll be learning more about it over the coming days.
>>
>>100183285
Mint is in a much better place than Cuckbuntu rn.
PopOS and Nobara seem to be popular recommendations for newbies these days too. Both seem to handle drivers very well from what I hear.
>>
>>100183326
https://www.reddit.asd/r/kde/comments/1bd313p/dolphin_not_recognizing_file_associations/
seems like they broke something, fuck me
>>
>>100183337
>Mint is in a much better place than Cuckbuntu rn.
>rn
That's what I said. Never understood why it was so popular *before*.
>PopOS and Nobara
Are those like Nvidia-spinoffs from the upstream? (why can't the big boys do Nvidia drivers officially OOTB?)
>>
>>100183359
I'm collecting a bunch of .desktop files to keep in my master config and I'm putting a lot of apps to put in my mimeapps.list file too so it should replace everything in-place on any distro I choose.
>>
>>100183397
POP is basically ubuntu for software engineers / professionals, with good drivers out of the box. Everything just works.
>>
>>100183400
alright greating the symlink and running kbuildsycocano6 works
>>
>>100182602
Most of my drives are WD. Half have failed in the last 10 years, all of the survivors have minor problems or worse. On one RMA WD sent me a drive that died within 24 hours.
Some of my drives are Seagate. Besides one DOA none have failed since 2002, some have developed minor problems.
Two of my drives are Toshiba. One failed, the other is slow and has problems.

Seagate cleaned up their act after the debacle around 2011. Their SMART is the most honest of the bunch, and they actually provide detailed spec sheets for their drives.
WD went to shit and bought out HGST, who they're now slowly turning to shit. And don't get me started on the whole SMR NAS drives thing.

>>100182624
ntfs3 doesn't support writing to compressed files or directories and is unstable in Linux 6.8.x.
>>
>>100183565
also seems like hyprland did its own implemention of wayland-scanner (dont know what that is) but stumbled upon it when windowing was messy on firefox and tried to cleanbuild install the git package and there was a missing dependency on it
seems like that fixed it so if anyone has problems with hyprland that should be it
>>
>>100183707
Wayland-scanner is the tool that is used to generate C header files from XML protocol definitions.

It's not something you really see except when compiling Wayland stuff from source. It's a build-system tool.
>>
File: 1687519525395061.png (2.14 MB, 2910x2018)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB PNG
why is this piece of shit so buggy???
>>
>>100183902
Buggy in what way? It worked fine when I tried it but it's not that good for large music collections.
>>
File: 1713752333926110.png (13 KB, 1218x891)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>100181764
>several hours and 40 posts later
>nobody responds

"friendly" my ass...
>>
>>100183915
Nobody knows what you did to fuck your system. No, it wasn't "Switch User" that broke things.
>>
>>100183915
i'm going to need more information
did you hit the power button because switching users took too long? did you press it once then wait for it to shutdown, or did you hold it for 4 seconds to do a hard power off?
you say your pc didn't want to start for 30 seconds, did it start after that? is it fine now or still not starting?
>>
File: 1713557997434052.jpg (34 KB, 640x580)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>100183931
it unfucked itself after about 30 seconds. it's been running fine ever since, i just wanted to know for the sake of knowing. though there SHOULD be some people here that know their shit but i guess it's just a bunch of tech illiterates like me. kys niggur
>>
>>100183285
Mint always has been a bit more polished than Ubuntu in user friendliness, back when it jumped from Gnome 2 to Unity. Super familiar Windows like layout, GUI for common tasks like installing drivers, propietary wifi blobs and codecs built in, etc...
>>
>>100183957
Anon no one will want to help you if you act like a prick after not instantly getting a reply to your problem. We aren't ChatGPT.
>>
>>100183957
when you say it didn't start for 30s, do you mean the power button did nothing, or it just didn't show anything on screen for 30s (so just lights and fans)
this isn't really a linux question by the way
>>
>>100183962
>Mint always has been a bit more polished than Ubuntu in user friendliness
Does user friendliness in this context mean it came with a DE that had a start button?
>>
File: 1713665870701019.png (144 KB, 473x389)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
>>100183975
fine, i'm sorry. i was just spooked by what happened and wanna make sure it never happens again. my machine is my life...
>>100183985
i had just got done installing pipewire so i needed to reboot, i tried to sign out first but nothing happened. so i tried switch user, and it did log me out but it was hanging so i just did a hard reset. my machine wouldn't boot at all, i saw the rgb shit on my GPU light up for a single second but that's about it. i tried powering on for 30 more seconds, turning my PSU on and off, etc until it worked. it booted just fine and my audio was working perfectly unlike before
>>
>>100183913
>crashed 4 times while importing my meager 30GB library
>error notifications every time i add a song
>doesn't play half of my library
i could go on but i wont even bother, went back to ol' reliable audacious
>>
>>100183889
hyprland has forked wlroots and is doing its own implementation of it
is this somehow related to it perhaps?
perhaps the bug with firefox was just fixed with me updating stuff anyway
>>
File: 41599e36.png (101 KB, 453x567)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>>100183985
>this isn't really a linux question by the way
Half of /fglt/ posts are about wondering various boot methods and disk partitioning schemes. Neither are specifically tied to Linux. But that's to be expected as it's usually Linux that gets manually installed on top of an OEM OS.
>OS installation generic
>>
I want Lxqt without the Ubuntu. Tired of damn snaps and that damn Ubuntu Store. What distro do I use? I want a light experience like Lubuntu but without the Ubuntu.
>>
>>100184049
>Lubuntu but without the Ubuntu.
That's just an L.
>>
>>100184046
well stuff relating to installing linux, while much of it isn't linux-specific, is at least relevant to the topic of linux
why your motherboard didn't want to start for 30 seconds after a hard power off on the other hand, is entirely unrelated to any os. that is probably what you were asking; whether linux had anything to do with it, so that's fine
>>
>>100184049
Anon, most distros can run any DE.
The whole Lubuntu shit is a marketing gimmick.
Just pick a debloated distro that appeals to you and type the install command on the console.

Debian-based:
sudo apt install task-lxqt-desktop
or
sudo apt install lxqt

Arch-based:
pacman -S xorg-server
pacman -S lxqt

Gentoo-based:
emerge --ask lxqt-base/lxqt-meta
>>
is there some logitech mouse software alternative on linux?
>>
>>100184153
Seems like Debian already offers a neat lxqt live iso, I'm torrenting
Thanks
>>
>using lxqt in 2024
why
>>
>>100184670
Why not? It's basically a more lightweight KDE.
I have a good PC so stick to KDE but LXQt is good on lower performing hardware. You can still set it up with KWin as the window manager too if you want fancy compositing and effects
>>
>>100184670
Lubuntu was my first distribution because my cheap laptop was crap on Windows 12 years ago
I want to go back to the simplicity but it's a bad time for ubuntu and flavors
Plus, I still have that old laptop so one day I might install an up to date lightweight OS there for the heck of it even if I go back to KDE on my main
>>
>>100184670
Are you the kind of faggot that was proud of full-page Flash splash screens on websites or is proud of product/software websites that do that funny pseudo scroll between full-page elements that are each just an image and two words?
>>
Does a tiling window manager defeat the resolution component of librewolf's anti-fingerprinting?
>>
>>100185185
If it's the pillared setting that Tor Browser uses I believe it always reports the same fixed resolution regardless
>>
>>100185185
Just using Librewolf is a major fingerprinting point. Don't run around with JavaScript enabled if you want privacy.
>>
>>100184670
unlike xfce lxqt has future
>>
>>100185576
XFCE has a future. Every GTK update it gets ever so closer to merging with GNOME.
>>
>>100183042
I figured it out. An easy fix was to install ffmpeg-audio-thumbnailer from the AUR, then clear my thumbnail cache. Works like a charm.
>>
>>100185391
>Don't run around with JavaScript enabled
Disabling javascript is itself a data point, as the vast majority run with it enabled. And you can be fingerprinted by your browser headers alone. This shit isn't winnable.
>>
>>100185969
It's pretty hard to fingerprint you with JavaScript disabled. I guess a site could do something like:
<noscript><!-- Some remote CSS or IMG or A tag with prefetching, etc, that's only loaded without scripts here --></noscript>

Browser's probably already have protections for this though like disabling images, etc
>>
>>100185969
>This shit isn't winnable.
Perhaps the better question is what to avoid visiting/doing so that the fingerprints generated aren't useful. i.e. what collection of sites shares the same fingerprint profile and connects data points together.
>>
>>100172055
What's the best distro for gooners?
>>
>>100186036
Well any distro can use a browser to on e6 so...
>>
>>100186031
Ignore the shit Librewolf does and use stock Firefox with resist fingerprinting enabled. You will have the same fingerprint as other Tor Browser users.
>>
>>100185969
This is why the system doesn't want zoomers to know shit about computers.

>>100186007
No point worrying about it because there are tons of scrapers downloading every page and ignoring JS. If you have no JS and obscure your client timing stats with a VPN or proxy, they don't have a lot of data points to work with.
>>
File: 1700815292800767.jpg (207 KB, 1137x757)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
i have come to the conclusion that ubuntu fucking sucks
which distro do i use that doesnt suck, especially one that doesnt use gnome
>>
File: 1714118590137.png (7 KB, 720x730)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>100180351
https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/how-to-upgrade-your-release
>Upgrades from one LTS release to the next one are only available after the first point release. For example, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will only upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS after the 20.04.1 point release.
>If users wish to update before the point release (e.g., on a subset of machines to evaluate the LTS upgrade) users can force the upgrade via the -d flag.
>>
>>100186396
Ubuntu itself is pretty awful. Use something like Mint or Pop!_OS instead, which're basically Ubuntu but without its bullshit.
>>
>>100186534
i was honestly thinking of moving to a distro thats a rolling release because ive somehow always had bad experiences upgrading between versions on point releases
and also something that doesnt use garbage fucking snap packages
>>
>>100186545
Then by all means go to Arch. Use EndeavourOS if you want an easy first install.
>>
File: 1713168207778290.png (133 KB, 427x431)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
Can anyone please tell me quick and easy way to install carpalx alternative layout
Only the layout, I don't need the software right now
on MX Linux.
Thanks
>>
>>100182509
dwm
>>
>>100186593
I read supposedly it's already available on X11, how do I go about enabling the layout?
>>
Is there a way to prevent wifi from disconnecting when I suspend the laptop?
>>
Just installed Debian (netinst), and i feel like the way everything looks its not 'crispy', i dont know how to explain it. looks kinda fuzzy. I'm using an Nvidia Card (1060) with the propietary driver, my WM is i3 and I use rxvt-unicode. Am I missing any settings or is it supposed to look like this?
>>
>>100172055
Hey does anybody have suggestions for a program I can use to have a voice changer effect for my mic?
I specifically need a robotic flavor to the voice and the game needs to pic it up as my natural mic.
Any program that lets me do that?
>>
stop installing debian retards
>>
>>100187194
why? it is stable as a rock
>>
File: 1700201776471684.jpg (972 KB, 2659x4075)
972 KB
972 KB JPG
>>100172055
What is the recommended way to manage your package list on a fresh install besides editing a whole list by hand?
There seem to be a plethora of people managing their system with ansible after install, but in my opinion it would be much more intuitive if one could tell anaconda to, take the default package list and (simplified)
- htop
+ bottom
alias htop=bottom

Or is that just not possible?

A massive python tool also named anaconda nuking every search certainly doesn't help.
>pic unrelated
>>
>>100187226
because i said so retard
>>
>>100187237
erm, you're like, kinda rude?
what about devuan?
>>
anyone use haiku? pure meme?
>>
>>100187348
I mean do you have any real nostalgia for BeOS?
>>
>>100186593
>>100186797
Just went to /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us
and I can see carpalx layout in it. How do I start using it? I don't see it in the GUI keyboard thing
>>
>>100187364
no..
I just like the appeal of a consistent environment but maybe I'm being dumb
>>
>>100187502
The whole point of Haiku is being an open source rebirth of BeOS, so if you don't really have that much attachment to BeOS already you can safely not bother with Haiku.
Maybe install and use it like a toy. Play around with all its features just for a learning experience. IIRC the web browser that comes with it can use the modern internet quite well.
>>
File: 2.gif (324 KB, 896x1017)
324 KB
324 KB GIF
what is your preferred system monitor / top alternative?
>>
>>100187615
I just go with the overall vibe like if the processor feels like on its lane and everything I just let it be and everything's cool, everything's just the way it needs to be. Smooth.
>>
>>100187615
I like btop
>>
>>100187615
hollywood
>>
>>100187615
Mission Center
>>
>Warning:
>archinstall stores all user and (secondary) disk encryption passwords in plain text. [1]
how much of a security risk is this?
>>
>>100187975
it depends on how you use it, like if you're installing from a live cd, then this information is being written into a ramdisk (the live environment) and will be lost when you reboot into the install. you can use archinstall outside of this though, and you could opt to keep the answer file and put it somewhere else, so this message is a warning to let you know that said answer file contains your encryption password and to treat it accordingly
>>
how the fuck do I learn where Grub and this partition bullshit work. Every time it breaks I just do a clean install.
>>
Hey guys, I've installed arch many times but for this new laptop I've got that uses emmc non removable storage it doesn't seem to booting the linux boot manager and I don't know why, I have secure boot turned off and I'm using systemd-boot
>>
>>100188071
gotcha
thank you
>>
>>100188102
>it breaks
It doesn't.
>>
>>100187615
Glances
>>
>>100188102
Anon it's literally as easy as:
>Install the grub and efibootmgr packages
>grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=[esp] --bootloader-id=GRUB
>grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
And GRUB should just werk from then on. But whenever GRUB gets an update, it's a good idea to re-run grub-install/grub-mkconfig.
>>
>>100188318
>>100188263
every single time windows updoots or I touch anything grub related I get stuck in boot
>>
>>100187615
ksysguard
>>
>>100188361
>Deprecated by Plasma System Monitor
>>
systemd
wayland
pipewire
simple as
>>
>>100188473
systemd is rubbish, it is bloated. There are like 90~ lines of code init systems and systemd is over a million. it doesn't follow the unix philosophy. also it usually causes mpd/ncmpcpp problems and needs restarting a lot
>>
I hate systemd. It's coarse and irritating and it gets everywhere.
>>
>>100188349
Windows can't touch your bootloader files, so it doesn't.
You can checksum these three files and then upgrade Windows from 8 to 11, then compare the checksums:
/boot/efi/EFI/<distro>/shimx64.efi
/boot/efi/EFI/<distro>/grubx64.efi
/boot/efi/EFI/<distro>/grub.cfg
/boot/grub/grub.cfg
This is also the order they are used in.
No other files are needed for boot, everything else under /boot/efi/EFI/ can be safely removed if you want to see for yourself.
>>
>>100188574
>it doesn't follow the unix philosophy.
It's the only init that does. Which is ironic, considering how it doesn't even work on Unix.
>>
>>100188615
>Windows can't touch your bootloader files
Obviously it can, depending on the partitioning scheme. Or perhaps it's more accurate to say Windows can fuck with the ESP partition.
>>
>>100188601
love me bloat
love me over-expanded scope
love me complexity
simple as
>>
>>100188637
It literally can't, this is some retarded meme.
This would also erase the bootloaders for other Windows installations, which simply doesn't happen.
>>
>>100188679
Windows can share the ESP partition, and by editing the stubs in there it can cause bootloader problems on linux. That's why there's so many complaints about dual booting.
>>
File: image.png (22 KB, 361x118)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>100188657
most of the kernel isn't needed :)
>>
>>100188695
>many complaints about dual booting.
From retards who have no clue, like you
>by editing the stubs in there
What the fuck are you even talking about you dummy?
>>
File: file.jpg (115 KB, 720x456)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>100188403
works on my machine
>>
>>100186312
>scrapers downloading every page and ignoring JS.
You can not reliably scrape content without running some degree of scripting anymore, too many popular sites just serve an empty page and a script "framework" that fetches content dynamically.
>>
File: images.png (8 KB, 213x237)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>100188735
>i have no idea what efi boot entries are and windows can't read or write to the esp
>>
>>100188574
>>100188630
linux is not unix.
>>100188717
no one is forcing you to use it.
>>
>>100188783
>linux is not unix
That's what I said.

>>100188766
>calls EFI boot entries "stubs" like a retard
>hurr durr you not know
Also, some entries in a virtual list are not your bootloader, dummy. Learn the difference between an actual file and a pointer to that file.
>>
>>100188145
Changed your bios settings to boot only UEFI?
>>
>>100188881
How? I have asus bios utility and I don't see anything like that there (computer is a asus e510)
>>
>>100188766
The other anon is right, if you have trouble with dual booting you might be retarded. Been dualbooting for over a decade now and nothing happened. Worst case scenario your GRUB gets deleted which is not a big deal.

There are also a number of different dual-boot setups you can try if you are so paranoid, such as putting an EFI stub on a thumb drive.
>>
I'm a normie non tech professional already becoming a boomer (married, have kids).
The more I try Ubuntu and GNOME and the more I see how everything depending on that is also doomed, the more I feel Manjaro KDE is the best solution for me because I can't into Arch itself.
I dislike the whole snap as main source of software thing and the Ubuntu-software seem empty of debs these days. Some apps don't show up on search sometimes and also it's too slow. Gnome-software is broken. GNOME is bad and every other DE that depends on GNOME is being gnomefied and using bad GTK styling.
I play games so Debian is too stable and Fedora is too bleeding edge and full of restrictions.
Tell me how retarded I am. I lost more than an hour trying to install Zoom on Ubuntu yesterday.
>>
File: no thumbnails.png (2 KB, 382x106)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>100172055
so uh is thunar to blame for this or is it my xfce default image viewer, think its called xviewer?
thumbnail machine seems broken these days
>>
>>100189528
update: wow it just takes like three minutes for batches of new images to get thumbnail'd, no idea it took that long for large batches
is that normal?
>>
Curious for a reasonably simple answer
Why is linux so much faster than windows on older hardware? does it simply boil down to less moving parts in linux installs, so there's less resources being used at any given moment?
2 cores and 4 threads at 2.7ghz turbo is running mint so well on an 2014 500GB HDD it blows my mind a little
>>
Recently got a 1440p monitor
I noticed that when scaling to 125% on Plasma (or gnome with that experimental flag) Firefox specifically has either fucked up font rendering with characters cutting off, or blurry ones depending on the settings. Any ideas? Is it a wayland + firefox thing?
>>
>>100189708
Winblobs sucks. Just because.
>>100189730
>He fell for Krashes DE meme
Use gnome and be productive.
>>
>Been dualbooting for over a decade now and nothing happened
>Worst case scenario your GRUB gets deleted which is not a big dea
Congratulations, 100189045, recipient of the 2024 Retard of the Year Award.
>>
>>100188938
Go to your boot section in the bios and find the boot mode "BIOS", sometimes known as legacy, or "UEFI". If the live disk you're booting from is has an EFI partition and you want to install on an EFI partition, make sure that legacy/bios isn't selected. Exit saving your changes and it should boot.
>>
File: freshinstallkdexfce.jpg (221 KB, 1930x1084)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
Can someone explain why xfce apps are so good? Today I did a minimal install of KDE and Gnome wayland on Debian and had zero apps. I installed the usual applications for KDE(since that's my preferred DE and I just use gnome for testing). My plan was to only install one set and use those across DE platforms - but holy shit was that a mistake. The GUI of dolphin and Konsole was so fucked in gnome it made my eyes bleed.

So I decided to google for a solution and came across a comment that recommend xfce apps. So far I've given Thunar, ristretto and mousepad. And holy shit I fell in love with mousepad and ristretto in particular. I think these 2 may be my desert island goto's from now on. They're that damn good. Not gonna lie I'm surprised. The GUI looks great on both wayland and x11, all of them are feature rich and they look sexy in adwaita dark theme. Not to mention how lightweight the downloaded was and how little dependencies they had.

Why aren't other apps like this? Why don't they code them like these? This seems like best practice to me. Is the code for KDE just old and decrepit or did they not even taking into consideration cross-platform use? All linux apps should be like this. Picture related.
>>
>>100189901
>why xfce apps are so good
typically the good ones are good because of their simplicity and refinement over time as a result of said simplicity
like sharpening a knife over and over
>>
>>100189901
>mousepad
This is pretty good, I was using helix mostly but I'm going to switch to mousepad and use helix only for the terminal. That cobalt theme is great.
>>
>>100189901
start using gnome applications and you will like them even more.
Only their desktop is shit and retarded. But their applications are really simple and easy to use. You will probably like them if you like xfeces applications.
>>
>>100190056
> You will probably like them if you like xfeces applications.
I admit I never used them before, I have a bunch more apps I need so I might try the gnome variants. Do you know if they're usable on other desktop environments? I need a good terminal because konsole is fucked.
>>
>>100190056
Their clocks app is quite good. I'm going to put it as an executable when I click my clock on the waybar clock.
>>
>>100189901
>all of them are feature rich and they look sexy in adwaita dark theme
Spotted the gnome shill.
>>
>>100189754
I'm talking about an issue that happens on both
On this I'm using guhnome
>>
>>100189901
Xfce's apps are indeed very nice. Its terminal xfce4-terminal is usually rated as one of the snappiest X11 terms.
>>
>>100172055
How many of you dual boot with Windows?
>>
>>100190204
i quad boot 4 personally.. and then run multiple others from usb.
i am an OS mutt =]
>>
>>100190204
>>100190232
oh, and VMs
>>
>>100190204
I do
And then fedora decides to update and then it becomes default again and I have to do the thing again and again and again
>>
>>100190204
>>100190232
>>100190243
but Mint is my comfy.. sorry for so many replies. not sure why i have decided to do this, this morning. i am feeling a bit nutty.
>>
>>100190204
I tried dualbooting for about a month and I hated it. I found the act of having to reboot constantly insanely tedious. These days I run Windows on a libvirt virtual machine with GPU passthrough with looking glass so booting up window is as easy and click an app. I did need to go buy a second GPU but AMD has insanely good choices in the 250usd range.
>>
>>100189730
Why would you buy a new monitor that needs fractional scaling? In 1440 no less. Send it back and buy the correct size.
>>
>>100190296
Really? Having to spend 250 bucks on a fucking GPU just to replace dual booting?
>>
>>100190204
i have done before but i found myself only ever using one or the other so it was nothing but a waste if disk space
now my "main" laptop just runs linux and i have my old work computer with just windows on it when i need it
>>
Would Chrome OS have actual battery life improvements over similar Linux distros like they claim?
I don't like being funneled into using Google apps, but if I can make my laptop run 2 hours longer I may make that deal
>>
>>100190323
1440 is fine where it works though
Shit it's fine with GNOME. Just not firefox.
>>
What distros work best on Macbooks?
>>
>>100176380
You might wanna mount your fat32 partition on /efi or /boot/efi instead and then do
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/efi
or
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi
instead, if you aren't using encryption there is no reason for a /boot partition and you can just leave that on the / (root) partiotion, if you are, just make seperate /efi and /boot partitions. Yes you can make what you're trying to do work and what not but it's not something I'd recommend.
--bootloader-id doesn't actually do much except name the bootloader entry to something, you can type 'gayniggerfaggot' in there and you'll see "gayniggerfaggot" in the grub menu when booting.
>>
File: file.png (174 KB, 534x1536)
174 KB
174 KB PNG
where do distros go when they die?
>>
>>100189832
>I don't know how to reinstall GRUB
Retard confirmed. Literally takes 2 minutes.
It only happened once to me btw.
Now I don't even use GRUB, just boot from UEFI.
>>
>>100190460
To add to this, you might wanna make sure dosfstools are also installed
>>
>games unironically run better on linux than windows
>even moonlight streaming is 10 times more stable on linux
god damn I fucking despise windows it's unreal
and there are still faggots that want to make me believe "muh wsl" and "muh gaming" make windows better
holy shit
>>
>>100190594
tbqh wondering if win10 on my old 4790k desktop should be my last windows pc
but then so many casual things I do I would have to totally relearn and do so much troubleshooting - trying to run a basic pirated game can be a nightmare for me, can't imagine how much time and learning would be involved being able to casually stream tekken 8 in a voice chat, or play an mmo or some shit
would it be worth it in the long run? probably
but so many popular applications, even in their linux versions, have so many linux specific bugs
I feel like there would be no turning my brain off to casually play games some nights
>>
>>100190374
Battery life is a question of hardware support. Is ChromeOS going to beat Fedora on RHEL certified hardware? Probably not. Is a Chromebook going to have better battery life than Linux installed on a random Windows laptop? Probably.
>>
New thread:
>>100190766
>>
Holy fuck my problems keep getting worse!
I try to save my files from failing ssd >>100172576 using this command on system rescue live usb
sudo ddrescue -d -f /dev/sda7 /dev/sdc1 clone.logfile

I foolishly thought it'd use the free space on my external HDD but instead it wipes out all my data!!
Fuuuucckkkk!!
>>
>>100190485
I do know how to reinstall grub. You're the one saying nothing bad happens but also bad things happen... but it's fine because it just is.
>>
>>100191189
>bad things happen
Happened one time in 10 years dual-booting, and it was a nothingburger with a two minute fix, so yeah pretty much amounts to nothing happening.
>>
>>100180273
Same.
>>
>>100190462
>FreeBSD that high
All I needed to know that ranking was bullshit.
>>
>>100179098
>it fucks up every single time.
I'm not saying it's perfect or a silver bullet, and it's fucked up for me before, but I think it's worth a shot. In my experience it has worked more often than not. I have multiple computers which I used archinstall to easily get an encrypted installation.
>>
>>100189754
It's not Plasma's fault. Firefox uses its own font stack.
>>100190384
>>100189730
File a Firefox bug.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.