[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: white isa slot.jpg (578 KB, 1200x817)
578 KB
578 KB JPG
I am pretty sure it wasnt 2015
I bought a Pentium 2 for 20 euro
-400 MHz CPU
-256MB SDRAM (Single Data Rate, not Dual)
-20GB Quantum HDD PATA interface
-AGP 1x Matrox GPU
-Sound Blaster 16 ISA

Due to Matrox GPU no 3D gaming was possible
But 2D games under Win98 worked fine
An then I used Win98 MSDOS mode to run MSDOS games and the SB16 was perfectly compatible with those DOS games

But today? Such compenents maybe 150 euros in Ebay.
When did it actually happen? I havent followed prices in 2016-2023, I started to notice this on january 2024.
>>
>>100147334
It’s a gradual scale and price increase over time.
Specific eras and particularly rare hardware get pricey whenever a certain generation hits the point where they want their old stuff back.
Right about now the people interested in late 90’s hardware are in the 30’s and 40’s, they have the financial means, they buy up old hardware as a hobby to do some old nostalgic shit. Supply decreases, demand increases, market basics.

There will always be outlier deals too, maybe someone finds an old pentium mmx machine at their workplace for free. Maybe someone snags a voodoo at a garage sale for 5$, shit happens, it’s not consistent.

Nobody expected GeForce FX cards to be worth anything when they got shit on a few years later by the GeForce 8 cards, but look for an fx 5950 ultra now.
>>
>>100147334
Two reasons I can think of.

>one

If you get an actual field service tech job, you will see just how many "legacy" systems are still out there in the field. Its honestly mindboggling. These old ass boomers hate computers and don't want ANYTHING changed. NOTHING. If it doesn't work EXACTLY the same as it did when he learned how it use it, he doesn't want it. And hes got money. Lots of money. So much that dropping $10k to have his computer work exactly the same as it did in 1990 is worth it to him.

>two

PCs weren't hardware botnetted back then like they are today. You could actually set one of these things up so the government would actually have to try a little bit to break into it. Still totally possible, but the vulnerabilities are different than they are now, so they would probably have to bring some boomer glowigger out of retirement just to look into your shit.
>>
? in 2015 could you buy an 80s pc for 20 quid?
no they were 150
now they are 350 and 90s pc are 150
>>
>>100147334
Back in the late 00's and early 2010's I would regularly find systems ranging from 486 up to Pentium 4 in the dumpster as people upgraded to Windows 7 capable machines and just ditched their old ones. They were truly worthless.
These days retro vidya has gained more popularity thanks to various Youtube channels so that drives up the prices, alongside some businesses legit needing this hardware.
There's a surprising amount of parallel port hardware out there that just refuses to work on anything other than a 440BX motherboard.
>>
>>100147334
2015 was nearly 10 years ago.
Over time old things break and get thrown away, so they become rarer and more valuable. I don't know how to explain supply and demand to you anon.

When I was a child I looked at the dated on coins all the time. I would see a lot of 1930-1940 coins. Now when I look again, those same coins can be work $10-20. Because things happened to them over the years.
>>
>>100147334
You just have to get in cozy with a PC recycler, fuck paying ebay prices for that shit.
>>
>>100147334
these specs are worse than what i had in 2005. What the fuck are these specs? 90s pc? what are you running on it? dune 2000? sc1?
>>
>>100147549
I got the machine for 20e maybe the seller had no idea how much it actually should be
>>
>>100147702
>what are you running on it? dune 2000? sc1?

mostly MSDOS games but there is a few win98 games like fallout 2 original release (I have the origginal fallout 2 cdrom)
>>
>>100147398
>Nobody expected GeForce FX cards to be worth anything when they got shit on a few years later by the GeForce 8 cards, but look for an fx 5950 ultra now.
It is low-key money laundering for drugs. Nobody is actually going out of their way to get obsolete GPUs that were rather ubiquitous in their heyday.
>>
>>100147334
>x1950 pro agp
>nvidia 6800 agp

Wow these are going for ~$100 on ebay. Wonder if I should sell now or wait. My old 560 ti only will fetch $20.
>>
>>100147334
>vintage
Just say old
>>
>>100152250
yes, Nvidia 560 GTX, 460 GTX etc are 20 USD at best but very few people are willing to pay anything for those

considerably slower cards go for higher price and I dont mean just AGP cards but slow and old PCI-E also

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.