[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fa/ - Fashion

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sweater vest1.png (534 KB, 570x705)
534 KB
534 KB PNG
How the hell did Americans in the 1950s manage to wear long sleeves and pants and a hundred layers of clothing in the United States before the widespread use of air conditioning?
>>
Global warming, Earth is on average noticeably hotter than it was back then.
>>
File: index.jpg (60 KB, 624x760)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>18100316
They wore all those layers and thick fabrics during the cold winter months. In the summer, people wore suits made of thin, loose, baggy fabric like linen and seersucker
>>
>>18100336
global warming is fake and gay and not real at all
>>
File: 8096.jpg (20 KB, 236x324)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>18100343
Additionally, wearing a full suit was for when you were going into work or into the city. For casual affairs, men would wear loose short-sleeved linen and cotton shirts
>>
>>18100336
anon even at the most alarmist global warming projections possible the average surface temperature went up a tiny fraction of a degree in the last century.
how come global warming retards are always completely oblivious to the science they tell you to trust? laymen are fucking r E T A R DS.
whatever you do don't search "wikileaks climategate" on a non google search engine.
>>
>>18100360
Kek the bait got this sperg hard
>>
15% bodyfat
>>
it was also before the widespread use of insulation and central heat.
>>
>>18100343
I don't care how thin, loose, baggy fabric like linen and seersucker their jackets were. Wearing a jacket in summer is retarded and makes you feel even hotter.
>>
>>18100780
i don't find.
keeping the sun directly off your skin is helpful, and with a dry heat you want that dry air away from you too.
>>
>>18100782
Wouldn't a long sleeve shirt already accomplish that? I don't know maybe it's just me and I feel the heat more.
>>
>>18100316
It's called winter, retard.
>>
>>18100316
global warming but unironically
the average temps today were considered very hot back then
>>
>>18100360
literal schizo
>>
File: 1676848211730153.png (1.9 MB, 860x1424)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB PNG
>>18100316
>before the widespread use of air conditioning?
You mean before the advent of central heating?
I dont know where you live. Maybe socal where its always warm. But where i live, room temperature in the spring & fall is cool without heating, and frigid in the winter. And outside there's almost always a moderate wind. Back in the day you wouldnt want to waste a bunch of fuel heating your house when you could just wear warmer clothes.

Another thing to consider is... Thinner people retain less body heat, and America was an unimaginably skinnier place in the 50s. You ever notice how many fat people wear shorts constantly?.

>>18100783
It helps if your jacket has minimal lining. Low tier lightweight jackets typically have a lining (often synthetic) all over the body, which nearly defeats the whole point. You want one that's butterfly lined or completely unlined/unstructured.
>>
>>18100792
The average temperatures were much lower even 20 years ago, let alone in the 50's, and not because of global warming, but due to less urbanization. All these degenerate buildings and concrete jungles captures and radiate a ton of heat from the sun, that just keeps sitting around near the buildings. Combine that with a lack of enough trees to cool the surroundings through transpiration and cloud formation, thanks to rapid deforestation, and you have entire countries turning into ovens.
>>
>>18100780
>Wearing a jacket in summer makes you feel even hotter.
Noooo, really?
>>
File: arabianclothing_8.jpg (56 KB, 740x450)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>18100780
I mean, have you ever tried it? Like genuine linen, not polyester. Look at traditional clothing among desert cultures, there's a reason they dress like pic related and not like Daisy Duke in the hot weather.
>>
>>18100316
They sweated like crazy in all of that shit. We obviously don't have any video or photos showing it because the cultural expectations of appearing on film and photos was different. It's funny you mention the 19050s becuase that's exactly when the t-shirt started to become popular and men, and later women, started to dress in a much more causal and practical manner.
>>
File: 1641714465102.jpg (149 KB, 1280x945)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>18100780
>Wearing a jacket in summer is retarded and makes you feel even hotter

Some places still have dress codes
>>
>>18101019
the Niger ruins the aesthetic
>>
>>18100316
now you understand why handkerchiefs were considered such a necessity then but nobody has one now
>>
File: 5885665o1.jpg (536 KB, 793x1200)
536 KB
536 KB JPG
>>18101129
>Niger
Quit being a retard and a fag. Miami Vice is one of the all times most fashionable tv shows.
>>
>>18100316
the world used to be really cold until 1993 when they installed HAARP
>>
They mainly lived in the North East and Belt and it was cold to cool for 9 months per year. The cars had no heat, the buildings had no heat.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.