[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fa/ - Fashion

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1650924358932849.png (681 KB, 570x570)
681 KB
681 KB PNG
Having a hard time finding examples of them looking good.
>>
>clip on
gay
>buttoned
based
>>
>>18099808
theyre best when theyre button suspenders and the pants are high waisted
>>
>>18099808
Kind of Portland/Brooklyn hipster if you're wearing them without any kind of jacket. Especially in those colors. Looks like old timey cosplay. But they're infinitely better than belts at keeping proper waist-cut dress pants in place. Some pants just look better without a belt.

But, unless you like the look of exposed suspenders, you have to ask yourself slightly added utility is worth trading off the ability to take your jacket off without it looking weird. The only time suspenders are a much better bet is if you're trying to downplay a beer gut. Obviously a belt has to be tight enough to keep your pants up, and which is going to awkwardly dig into your belly if you're a fat guy wearing waist high pants. With suspenders you can just wear one pant size up and alleviate the problem.
>>
>>18099808
Suspendes are for fat guys without hips
>>
>>18099808
Yes but not on the chap in the picture. They should be worn on high waisted, fish tail trousers, should not have nearly as much slack as the ones in the picture, and should be worn with trousers with a back belt to stop the shirt riding up the back and poofing out of the the top of the “y” of the suspenders. Moreover he should be wearing a jumper, cardigan, etc something over them as >>18099843
says. Maybe a sweater vest or linen waistcoat if it’s hot outside.

T. Make my own trousers and they’re held on with suspenders.
>>
>>18099808
They really only look good on conservative/trad men and they wear them usually because they're fat.
>>
>>18099808
You can do it right, just make sure they aren't clip on, leather suspenders are very hard to put on because most pants these days don't have the buttons inside, so you will have to sew the buttons on or find somebody who can for you. Also if you want to sound cooler call them "braces"
>>
Yes they are gay

They were always gay but tip sent them over the top in terms of homosexuality
>>
File: stooges-34.jpg (50 KB, 690x557)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>18099808
>>18099823
>>18100087
Wtc this look
>>
they are cool if you live it, that means proper pants, etc.

The guy in OP pic using clip ons with pants that have belt loops, yeah that shit won't look so cool
>>
>>18099808
>clip on suspenders
those will never look good
>>
>>18099808
lmao yes and i was forced to wear these things as a kid.
>>
Clip ons are an immediate no go.

You need ones that button on, and they only work if you're wearing a sport coat/suit. In that context they are god tier. No exaggeration, they can transform how your pants fit because they hold them up differently than a belt. I want to learn to sew buttons on so I can add suspenders buttons to all my pants, they're that good.
>>
>>18099808
Anything you wear is gay and retarded— tis your fate OP
>>
File: 1714267893316.png (391 KB, 699x595)
391 KB
391 KB PNG
Looks good on him
>>
>>18099808
If your pants have belt loops and you're wearing suspenders it means you want cum deep inside your ass
>>
>>18100095
looks like a crew neck sweater, some vintage style tab suspenders (best bought on eBay and reproduction sites)
and what look like high waisted flat-front pants in a nailhead tweed (best bought custom)
>>
>>18099808
>gay
maybe
>retarded
hell no, they're perfect for their job
>them looking good
just don't be ugly
>>
File: 1000003909.jpg (1.34 MB, 1170x1331)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
I wear them for work
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (20 KB, 550x549)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>18100707
what if they have belt loops and suspender buttons
>>
>>18101552
In that case, it's just meant to be ultra utilitarian, not particularly stylish or fashionable.
>>
>>18101653
but is it gay tho
>>
>>18101358
why not wear them under your shirt?
>>
File: IMG_2292.jpg (253 KB, 1055x2080)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>18099808
>>18099808
Depends how gay and retarded you look. They're technically underwear. Also never settle for clip ons.
>>
>>18101552
I have this on my work pants, works nice
what I don't really understand is if the buttons should go on the inside or the outside
>>18101795
I love and hate this kind of attachment at the same time
they're handy and easy to put on and off, but since they can rotate 360 degrees around it's always a pain in the ass to get the orientation right
>>
>>18101799
I think buttons inside are found in pants for more formal occasion. Outside seems to appear on stuff like work trousers where one wouldn’t care where the buttons are.
>>
>>18099808
/fa/ asf
>>
>>18099808
Clip-ons are gay. You need trousers with suspender buttons. They also have to have a rise that puts them somewhere near your navel, not your hips.

In the time period when suspenders were popular, exposing them was almost like showing off the band of your underwear.
>>
>>
>>
>>18104053
>In the time period when suspenders were popular, exposing them was almost like showing off the band of your underwear.
i'm a menswear nerd and it feels like this "advice" is something i have only ever seen said on /fa/ and literally nowhere else
either its one dumbass saying it or it's a case of /fa/ being an incestuous circlejerk where nobody actually discusses or looks at fashion anywhere else and so the same retarded opinions get spread around with zero scrutiny
>>
You're going to end up looking like a retard cosplaying as Steve Urkel if you don't wear them with the right pants and jacket.
>>
>>18104073
this stems from a time when taking off your waistcoat in front of anyone besides close family was considered improper. it's less about showing the suspenders themselves and more about the showing your chest.
>>
>>18104822
like victorian era through 1900-1910s in america and a bit later in europe
>>
>>18104822
To add on to that, it's the same mentality that dictated proper tie length of not going beneath your belt or else it looked "vulgar."

The real question is were people back then as obsessed with cocks as 4chan? Because if I see a tie that's too long and dangling at a guy's crotch my first thought isn't "lol it's like a dong hanging out."

Were Victorian's proto-BBC shit posters?
>>
Insane take but I think suspenders only look decent on fat people
>>
>>18104898
based

i think it also works well on thick chested men as well
the key here is dimensionality
>>
>>18099879
post the pants you described
>>
>>18099972
Skinny guys are actually recommendet to ditch the belt. They are more likely to develop issues with their legs blood circulation because of belts.
>>
>>18105077
See the neofolk thread. I posted them there. Brown canvas, high waisted with a fish tail back, and held up with braces. Might add patch pockets but idk. They have a back belt (literally just two fabric cables that you tie together) to stop the shirt riding up between the “y” of the braces when I’m working.
>>
File: IMG_3645.jpg (14 KB, 197x256)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>18105077
>>18105106
Continued.

Should look somewhat like this. The guy in the pic doesn’t have a back belt on his trousers but that’s because the fit is just about right. If you think you’re going to loose weight in the future you should definitely have a back belt on the trousers you buy or add one on trousers you make.

Note that the buttons holding the braces on are inside the trousers because:
1. He isn’t larping.
2. These are semi-formal
>>
>>18105106
They are simpler than I thought but nice. I guess you're a few steps ahead of me in terms of /fa/ evolution, I've recently started to change buttons on my clothes to make them look more expensive.
Quality clothes nowadays are so overpriced. The big problem I have is getting good buttons and fabric.
>>
>>18105115
Thanks. I’m thinking of adding patch pockets but idk.

Dalston fabric mills have a sale on linen from county Kerry right now. £10.50 a metre and it’s a steal. That’s also where I got the canvas. Otherwise once you’re decent enough that you feel proud of the clothes you made and aren’t embarrassed wearing them outside, but from the Harris tweed authority website. I try to source within the UK or CTA because I don’t want to pay import tariffs to HMRC and because even though I’m a hoppean, Linkola was a right about a lot of things.

Buttons are a good place to start. You can move the buttons on the cuffs to get a better fit around the wrist though this can poof up the sleeve a little bit (though I don’t particularly mind it). Things are definitely overpriced and the “red pill” is that you can just make quality clothes yourself.

I’m going to acquire a machine this week so hopefully I’ll be able to make things quicker.
>>
>>18105115
>>18105123
*that’s for 1m of 1.5 m. Not 1m2. Always check the width. “1m” can be very deceiving.
>>
>>18105115
Also you can make mock ups out of calico to practice because calico is ludicrously cheap. Also make sure to look into the fabric to see if you need to prewash or not.
>>
File: 1000006318.jpg (3.53 MB, 4032x3024)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB JPG
>>18100550
finally got around to learning how to stitch myself. there is way more sturdiness than anything I've owned that already came with buttons, or I paid to have attached.
>>
File: 7295106769-640x360.jpg (226 KB, 1280x720)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
Suspenders are best when hidden. This guy is wearing suspenders but you wouldn't know it. I like how comfortable they are and how I don't have to adjust my pants as much, but don't like them showing.
>>
They were the technology before belts.
Before that it was rope, togas or other non pants.
Literally pointless for practicality in 2024.
>>
>>18105194
There is some practicality. They are more comfortable imo, cuts off blood flow less, pants don't sag as much, don't have to unbutton and rebutton my belt when I take a leak.
>>
File: file.png (647 KB, 1000x1000)
647 KB
647 KB PNG
>>18105197
but you have to take them off completely when taking a shit, and if they're hidden like some Anons here say it's even more difficult
>>18105194
>Literally pointless for practicality in 2024.
only for neets
example of actual practicality: youtu.be/tlPm3xELJH8

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.