[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_20240515_031931977~2.jpg (2.14 MB, 3504x3628)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
rate my handrail
what color should i paint it
white aluminum exterior
i was going to go with dark green because of the yard/hrass but maybe a rust red because the brick walkway or something absolutely garish like safety orange or amethyst so it stands out
yes i know my deck is dilapidated
>>
File: IMG_20240515_121003773~2.jpg (2.43 MB, 3326x3799)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
>>2799892
Please? It won't stop raining for a few days but I want to be prepared
>>
That is one damn fine handrail anon, and I agree that dark green or rust red or safety orange or amethyst would look very nice on it.
>>
pink
>>
not code and your gonna kill your whole family when it collapses
>>
>>2799892
HOLY SPLINTERS BATMAN
>>
Bad and ugly. Also potentially dangerous.
>>
>>2799987
Looks like it will drain/runoff well. Check.
Used pressure treated 4x’s. Check.
No balusters to catch a childs head between them. Check.

Looks good.
>>
>>2800013
I'm having a bad day and decided to be an asshole. Your handrail is nicer than I have it credit for.
>>
>>2799892
>>2799987
im sure your moms real happy with it and proud of you. hope she gets you pizza for dinner tonight
>>
>>2799892
Looks good anon.
I vote dark green to blend it in. It looks nice but shouldnt be the focal piece when looking at the front door of the house. White to match is safe too, that would be my second pick, but may look shabby as it gets dirty, the dirt splashing up around the bottom from raindrops will stain.
PT pine doesn't take stain well but matching the old deck is a third option.
Whatever you pick I'm sure it'll be fine. Hope you set those 4x4s properly so she doesn't wobble in a year.
>>
>>2799892
>>2799987
4/10. It works, but aesthetically it's kind of awful. It would probably look fine as part of a deck with matching railings around it, but on that porch with no railings it doesn't fit in at all just sitting there by itself. FYI residential building code doesn't even require a handrail there since there's only 2 risers.
>>
I'd hitch my horse to it.
>>
>>2799987
It's nice anon, I'd touch it for sure.
>>
Does it have a graspable surface 32 to 34 inches off the ground 1 1/4 to 2" in diameter?

Cuz thats code for what a handrail is sposed to be. So just dont rent it.
>>
>>2799892
Paint it red then put fox statues on both sides
>>
File: 00025-429991361.png (253 KB, 512x512)
253 KB
253 KB PNG
it looks like a shinto void gate. Honestly its aesthetically ass. the only way to save it is to paint it black and red and tell people its a shinto void gate, at this point. When building its important to blend so other tradies dont make fun of you and complete nobodies cant tell you it stands out as chuckle fuck tier.
>>
File: rail.jpg (132 KB, 883x831)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>2801299

Notice how this design is not ass and why. Its because of its slim structure and familiarity. What is off is its bolted and not welded. For the price of this rail you can buy a Chinese mig/tig/stick and buzz boxed some iron to build this. So your grandma is proud of you and says you are smart and skilled.
>>
>>2799892
Burgundy and maybe paint your front door burgundy as well to match.
>>
Also, since the only way to rectify this is painting it like a shinto void gate, youre going to need to disassemble it and paint every piece individually for coverage. You think youre going to be cool and just paint the exposed parts. But thats a mistake. The unpainted gaps will collect rain and prematurely rot and you will regret this decision vs. Disassemble for full paint coverage. Youre fucked kiddo.
>>
>>2801310
>Disassemble for full paint coverage.
jesus no. prime it, caulk the cracks, paint it. and if it's pressure treated wood let it weather as long as you can before you do anything.
>>
>>2801329
Jesus yes. On outdoor structural wood this is how you do it right, pedro. Youre asking for a premature failure if you own something, not painting the crevices for complete coverage. Pedro is out here fucking around bullshitting again.
>>
>>2799892
cant sk8 this rail/10
>>
>>2800051
my wife has severe back problems after our second kid and I didn't want to make a ramp or stairs + had extra wood from work
I was really drunk when I built that
>>2800730
Yea it's sunk deep
>>2800781
I live so far in the woods "code" isn't a thing I am worried about
>>2801709
lol

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.