[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What is the deal with building permits?
I grew up in a fixer-upper helping my Dad do plumbing, wiring, siding, remodeling a bathroom, lots of stuff and we never filed for a permit. Once my Dad had the roof replaced and the roofers filed a permit but that's it.
I'm looking for a cheap house to buy and looking at the building permit schedule to get an idea how much a fixer-upper would cost me. I see permit fees for stuff I've done without a permit for my Dad, including a fence. Really? A fence?
Does anybody here (contractor or DIY) ever had to deal with applying for building permits and dealing with inspectors? What is it like?
>>
>>2795676
it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. all going through the permit process will do is make your ass ache, your wallet lighter, and your taxes higher. do everything you can lowkey, out of sight, and on weekends and don't worry about it unless you have some rotten asshole or cunt karen neighbor
>>
Generally speaking, unless you are doing a structural modification or adding something new, simple repairs and replacement of existing infrastructure doesn't require permits....one exception would be that where newer codes are in force for things like electrical and plumbing and other systems you may need to bring things up to code if they had been grandfathered in and need to be replaced with newer equipment becausecthe old stuff isn't made anymore.

All the stuff on that list is either new work on an accessory structure, or it involves modification to major structural elements or systems and in the case of stuff like kitchen remodels very likely involves moving or upgrading electrical and plumbing....if you weren't doing that then stuff like new cabinets or tile or counters probably wouldn't require permits.

Stucco/siding work is probably on there so they can see what's there for sheer loading and weatherproofing and trigger upgrades if needed, also because people will often use the opportunity of stripped walls to bootleg in plumbing and electrical if no one is looking.

Anything that typically has a very long service life is more likely to have older work grandfathered in and need to be brought up to code when major repairs or total replacement happens...its also possible that an older structure was built better than code minimums and that the old work/systems will pass inspection without needing upgrades....but they wanna look when you are working on it.
>>
i do electrical work with my boss and we try to never get permits mostly because it slows the fuck out of everything and inspectors CAN be tight asses that can make nothing into something. we only get them if our contractor wants it or the owner or building wants one.
one job were on has so far been delayed probably a month overall because of waiting for different inspections.
>>
>>2795685
> but they wanna look when you are working on it
It’s getting ridiculous at this point.
There’s even things that are generally good, like graywater systems, but are, in practice, impossible to get. Also new wood-burning fireplaces—basically impossible here. You’d have to find an old house that had one, tear down the whole house part and re-build a McMansion around the fireplace after getting house size easements (another nightmare)

Basically permits are a protection/cash-grab/gatekeeping scheme. I’ve failed permits for minor procedural/administrative issues—they really don’t care about the whole safety aspect of it.
>>
>>2795676
Until recently I (and pretty much everyone I ever knew) have never gotten permits for anything. In the city I used to live it ordinance and non new house permits were kind of a joke.

the old owner of my old house did all sorts of work who knows if they got permits.
I built a patio on that same house. no permit. no problem selling it.

moved in to my new house. looked up city ordinance about installing a shed. installed shed as best I understood the ordinance. some asshole in my neighborhood called the city. after talking with the ordinance enforcement guy it was obvious that ordinance was mostly enforced because of complaints. I have been all through our neighborhood and ALL sheds in people back yards are not in compliance.

I replaced my water heater and after I did it I looked up city ordinance and it said that I would need a permit UNLESS it was done by a licensed contractor. I have replaced 3 water heaters and never got a permit.

inb4 you won't be able to sell the house in the future. WRONG no one, and I mean NO ONE cares. I have bought and or sold 3 houses and not once has anyone ever asked about proof of permits. hell my old house was bought by an investor who gutted it and renovated it, same with my mother-in-laws house.

I'm not saying that not getting permits is good or bad. I'm saying that mostly no one cares.
>>
>>2797054
what is it with boomers and walls of text. "I do lots of work and don't need permits. Ever. And neither do YOU!"
>>
>>2796021
I had electrical work done, and the electrician got a permit, after the inspector left the electrician said that he could tell the inspector had no idea what he was looking at.

he said that when inspectors come out, you be as chummy with that as you can without being obvious, chat them up if you can and many times they will hardly look at stuff and leave.

other times you get some guy who thinks he knows code and will ding shit that has nothing to do with the permit, or ding stuff and be wrong.
>>
>>2797057
what is it with zoomers, no attention span, and having to comment about shit that they don't need to comment on because no one is going to change their behavior we REALLY REALLY don't care what you think.

plus they are always wrong.
>>
>>2797058
>he said that when inspectors come out, you be as chummy with that as you can without being obvious, chat them up if you can and many times they will hardly look at stuff and leave

that can totally happen. like we had an inspector show up once and he was asking us questions on how to do it right because he didn't know. or like you said, and inspector show up walk around for 3 minutes and leave without really looking anything.
but my boss has been traumatized by really horrible inspectors and now treats any inspected job like hes going to get executed if we do anything wrong. it's such a fucking retarded mixed bag that we'd rather not do it at all.
>>
>>2797062
>mixed bag

That's just it; most of them are reasonable and especially if you ask them what they want to see and care about doing stuff right.

If you get a prick it can be a nightmare but the absolute worst is when you get a totally unqualified moron, like the diversity hire black woman inspector who when given a chance refused to sign off on an expansion to an existing business using the same existing permitted handicapped parking space that had been fine for decades, because she thought the access paths would expose drivers to an adjacent alley in spite of like ten feet of setback separating the space and the alley traffic lane.

When it was pointed out that even handicapped people need to exercise caution and watch out for moving vehicles near their parking spaces, she said that a BLIND DRIVER would not be able to do that so the access path had to be moved so that a blind driver could back in and pass behind the vehicle on the way to the building.

That involved ripping out mature landscaping and pouring and marking a new sidewalk but there was obviously no point in trying to reason with that stupid bitch.

The whole time she acted like she was a white knight who had uncovered a plot to murder disabled people and anyone who thought the existing inspected and approved space was adequate should be ashamed to their core.
>>
>>2797054
it seems like permitting is always implemented to prevent very specific behaviors
for example in my town people would buy plots of lands, then buy a cheap home depot shed and put it on it then live in it
now, in order to prevent that, you need to permit literally every structure
then people would just buy campers and put them on their land and live in it
now you need a camping permit

the result is I can't legally build a shed for my lawn mower and I can't have family stay over in their own camper for a week or 2 without a permit

it seems like the best thing you can do is just have good neighbors who don't fuck with you. the tax man doesn't seem to care when new structures appear without a permit, and the town doesn't seem to care when they get more tax revenue from me
>>
>>2795676
I like how when there's a "What do I look for if I'm buying a house" thread, all the answers revolve around getting things inspected and making sure everything is to to current code, even if it was built in the 50's. Now we have a "What the hell is it with permits" thread and everyone seems to be saying fuck the permits. This board is contrary.

If you're good enough with plumbing and electrical to do it right, then keep it hidden. Outside stuff that the guy four houses down could walk by and see that you're doing and see that you don't have the permit displayed, get the permit, or do it really fucking fast and hope. A lot depends on where you live.
>>
>>2797087
you look for violations to use as ammo in negotiations
>"look at that wiring!!! I'll need to spend $10,000 to get that up to code! I'm taking $15,000 off my offer for that!"
>buy house
>live in the house for 10 years
>never fix wiring
>sell as is
>>
>>2797057
It’s about it being another source of income for municipal governments. Another bullshit tax, on top of sales tax, paid for by income-taxed money. Not to mention property tax—not sure what that is even for, my pot-holed 10 square feet of road I use outside my driveway?
It was supposed to be about safety. But those days are over.
Instead, they gave the tax money to immigrants that stole my job.
>>
>>2795676
the talmud explicitly states that g_d's chosen people are not to do any physical labor, but that their purpose in life is to study the torah. In order to pay for this life style, goyim must pay them to act as middlemen.
>>
>>2797087
>Outside stuff that the guy four houses down could walk by and see that you're doing and see that you don't have the permit displayed
When I got a permit to have propane installed at my all electric house the permit was rolled up in a plastic page protector and shoved in one of the handles of the 100lb bottles. no one would have seen it from the street. the green sticker is somewhere in one of my filing cabinets.

when I had electrical run to the shed the permit was just given to the electrician and nothing was displayed anywhere. the green sticker is now inside the sub panel.

When I did the electrical inside the shed I did not get a permit. I ran all armored cable and did everything to code as far as I could tell. I am not worried about the place ever burning down. I did armored cable because I did not do drywall.

when I had a 220 outlet installed in my garage the same electrician that did my shed did the garage and he did not get a permit, nor did I care if he did. the only reason I got a permit for the shed was because I was specifically told to get one by the ordinance guy who had been out previously because of a meddling neighbor.

The funny thing about my run in with city ordinance is:
they told me wrong information about what was required if I wanted a ham radio tower.
they miscalculated the square foot of my house and I almost lost the shed because of it. my city has a ordinance that all structure footprints have to be less than 40% of the lot size. stupid young girl that was managing my case just looked up the total square footage of the house instead of calculating the foot print.

how can you comply with ordinance when the ordinance people don't even know their own rules?
>>
>>2797087
>all the answers revolve around getting things inspected and making sure everything is to to current code, even if it was built in the 50's
yeah those people eat avocado toast for breakfast and can't afford houses.
>>
>>2797303
>they told me wrong information about what was required if I wanted a ham radio tower.
to expound on this, he told me that I had to have permit, and had to abide by all easement rules.

I scoured and searched the cities ordinance and found only the following:
The antenna mast or pole had to be behind the front of the house.
was limited to 75 feet high.

nowhere in the ordinance did it say I needed a permit, nor were there any easements listed. all easements were regarding sheds, and other out buildings.

I also found out that there is a federal law that stops state and local laws from preventing you from putting up an antenna mast or even telling you how to do it.

he indicated if I attached the mast to my house then I would not need a permit.

fucking stupid and confusing.
>>
>>2797303
also when I was researching the shed rules and easements there was a limit to 1 shed per house.

heres the deal the house already had 2 sheds that were not in compliance with easements, and were right next to my house and too close to a wall between me and my neighbor. on the other side of that wall was a shed at my neighbors house that was out of compliance.

in coming and going on 2 visits he walked past all of that and never said a word about it.

in the yard behind my house was another shed clearly in violation of easement rules. not a peep out of him. I said nothing because I'm not an asshole.
>>
>>2797305
Local governments knowingly (and unknowingly… many elected officials that make bylaws don’t actually have any education or skillsets in that area) make rules that violate state and federal law, and the constitution.
Generally, a lot of them know it’s illegal, but it’s just a matter of nobody bringing them to court over it to challenge it.
It’s also that a lot of elected politicians don’t know right from wrong.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.