[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

what would be the best way to carve a relatively complex symbol - still mostly straight lines - on this? It doesn't have to be precise, and given its size, i don't think its possible to be
>>
>>2795441
tiny bit in a dremel.
>>
>>2795441
Fiber laser engraver
Depends on the material if it needs CO2 or fiber laser
Fiber can do metals mostly but frequency burns wood and plastics so CO2

https://prokek.lol/sbatch-engraving/
>>
>>2795441
easiest is a dremel wheel as you're doing straight lines. you can make a jig to control the depth, like an upside down table saw. anything not straight you can do with another bit.

that said I'd mask it with tape and then get one of those hand sand blasters from harbor freight and etch it that way.

If you don't want to fuck it up permanently you could build up the symbol too, either just paint, mask and paint or add greenstuff and paint.
>>
>>2797465
Sand etching artist here:

Blasting it isn't a bad method however one physical limitation most people aren't aware of is that when carving out fine details in hard material (glass, ceramic, stone, shell, etc.) with blast media like lines < 1/2" width , the depth of cut will be limited to about half the width of the open stencil area because of how the cut will form a V shape that redirects the incoming air/abrasive stream onto itself.

That means if you want a 1 mm deep etch your lines can't be narrower than 2 mm, actually a bit more since that final depth measurement is from the top edge of the stencil.

If you just want to frost the surface any open area will do, but for uniform depth you have to follow this rule of thumb.
>>
>>2795441
What's the material?
if it's plastic, I'd try a soldering iron to meltinto it and fine sandpaper to clean the edges.
If it's chalk based (I tihnk some shellfish's shells look like that?), coating it in a thin layer of wax, scratching the design into the wax and etching with concentrated white vinegar would work. Afterwards you can just remove the wax with some paint thinner.
If it's some sort of stone, the ony options I an come up with are engraving with a dremel or with a handengraver.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.