[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: splittingwedge.jpg (277 KB, 1000x1333)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
Ok so I tried making one of those slamming splitter things out of one of these welded to the end of an old truck axle and using a T-post driver but it doesn't work for shit. I'm a pretty big guy so I don't think power is the problem. Ideas?
>>
Try a sledgehammer
>>
>>2795305
It's pretty high, not sure how much leverage I could get. Now that I'm actually looking for the things I'm thinking of apparently they don't even make them anymore so I guess they were shit.

I think I'll cut it off and try to make one of the ones that you mount to a stump
>>
>>2795307
just get a splitting maul, if that's a no-go for whatever reason you step up to a hydraulic press splitting rig on a little atv trailer, and then you get to buy a quad to drag it around
>>
>>2795302
Look up black powder log spiltters. Do weld some log chain to it if you make one since the hunk of chain stops them from flying away.
>>
>>2795302
there is a solution to every problem op, and that solution is explosives
if this doesnt work, tannerite will
>>
>>2795302
You have to use multiple of those at the same time and then hit each one little by little, this isnt even a force game you win by attrition
>>
File: lol.png (6 KB, 256x256)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>2795302
Your problem is, splitters arent magic. Sometimes you need more than 1 to get the job done, and how you determine that will depend on the wood, grain, knots, size, ect. Look for cracks in the wood to see where its already structurally weak, then put a line of splitters from one crack to the next in a line if its a large piece of wood or a hardwood. When you see splitters splitting big logs with just 1, thats usually because its not very knotty or a softwood. In most splitter situations where a regular axe wont do, you're gonna need more that one.

Think of hitting a knot like hitting a shield. It doesnt matter how strong you are, you are hitting something that is deflecting the majority of power. But when you use a splitter, you force the issue by creating a weakness in the shield. Each hit, slowly works its way through the shield until it fails. However, if its a really big shield, you're gonna need multiple splitters to form the full break from one end of the log to the next. Becareful with splitters, its easy to get them stuck if you try to force them to go the wrong way. Technically you can break wood from any angle if enough preassure is applied, and thats exaclty what a hydraulic press does with its 10,000 pounds of pressure. But with just raw muscle, thats a difficult job to do if you dont pay attention to your splitter placement.
>>
>>2795307
Splitting wedges don't exist?
>>
File: maxresdefault-83440422.jpg (187 KB, 1280x720)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>2795302
Git gud.
>>
Build a hydraulic log splitter and make your life slightly easier.
>>
>>2796856
No I mean the tool I was thinking of apparently isn't being made anymore. They must have sucked. It's a splitting wedge on the end of a piece of round stock with a big ass slide hammer attached
>>
File: reg.png (164 KB, 1001x884)
164 KB
164 KB PNG
>>2796877
it sounds like a lot more work, physically moving the heavy part every inch it needs to move. Pic related is the best tool, >>2796860 is a pampered girly man chopping cute little logs into cute little sticks, those hinged bits don't do anything good to wet wood, and any energy spent pulling a stuck axe head out of a log is wasted energy. Also they can make the axe head do unpredictable things in the vicinity of your legs and ankles.

With a normal splitting maul gravity is doing most of the work, you help it a little on the backswing and then help it drop into the work, let the head rest on the splitting block while you stack another round to be split, then let the head swing off the block and help it back into the backswing. Viewed from the side, the axe head is making an oval, not a parentheses.
>>
File: chopping-wood.gif (943 KB, 220x294)
943 KB
943 KB GIF
this is just an axe, but you can see how efficient the motion is
>>
>>2795302
>I'm a pretty big guy
for you
>>
>>2797023
kek
>>
>>2796184
>loaded and pounded
Erm, why not pounded and THEN loaded? I'd prefer not being hoisted by my own sledgehammer.
>>
>>2796877
its literally called a slide hammer splitter and they sell them on amazon.
>>
>>2795302
Put a bigger chamfer on the edges and grind a fuller down the center of each side.
There's a lot of friction in driving a wedge into wood, cutting down the surface area will cut the amount of friction fighting against you.
>>
>>2796849
Based. I spent a summer splitting firewood with my uncle 8-10 cords a week. We used a PTO driven 2 pole splitter and rarely had any problems if you always planned your next move ahead in advance. Theres certain tricks like splitting knots or branch points from the bottom or just generally knowing what will happen when you put pressure on a given obstacle. Anyone who’s ever split wood by hand is very familiar with how it all works because you can’t just beat the shit out of wood without a plan for very long
>>
>>2798020
Nah I saw those. The one I'm thinking of has a slide on it with two handles that stick out just like a post driver. That's what gave me the idea

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.