[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1714777740512.jpg (138 KB, 735x524)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
Planning on building a raised bed, should I place a tarp below, so the wood sits on it?

Planning on doing something like pic related where it's surrounded by woodchips or gravel or something.
>>
>>2795236
I did plastic sheeting over the ground but mine are also sub-irrigated.

It'll probably depend most on what your ground soil is like.
>>
>>2795236
you put down a barrier to prevent weeds from creeping inside your delicious growbed where all the cool plants want to be. it has nothing to do with protecting the wood frame. Its very tempting to try and save materials by putting the raised bed down then filling in the surronding area with mulch/rocks/ect but in the long run its better to mulch/gravel/whatever the entire area and then put the raised bed ontop of it so that it doesnt sink under it and then have everything drain into the bottom of your raised bed.

Put down some kind of weed barrier first (tarp, landscaping fabric), then place down your wood chips or gravel, then place the raised bed ontop of all that. Fill in with completely new dirt/soil. Getting bulk soil from a local producer (like a green waste facility) is ideal instead of buying it by the bag. You do not want to use your existing dirt from your yard in a raised bed because it will be full of grass seed and other undesirable things. If you had good aggricultural grade soil in the first place, you wouldn't be doing expensive raised beds. So don't cut corners, do it right the first time.
>>
>>2795236
Yes and then get some more tarp or whatever and drape it around the boards so that water that comes raining sown on it will not sit between tarp and board and be guided away.

Remember the three big As in waterrot avoidance for wood construction

Abhalten
Ableiten
Ablüften
>>
>>2795236
I think using a tarp to 'prevent weeds' from growing up is misguided for several reasons
>many weeds travel by air to grow on top soil anyway
>impeding your roots from growing deeper than the length of your box height (8'' to 10'')
>can cause water to pool at the bottom of the box, causing rot from the bottom up that you can't see
>prevents aeration and settling
>using plastic at all

Just build your box and use old dry leaves and woodchips to cover the top soil around your plants and you'll cut down most of your weeds anyway. If you grow anything that has deep roots that tarp is going to severely hinder their development.
Also, don't use pressure treated wood. I used untreated oak with interior brackets and it's lasted more than 4 years with only mild weathering.
>>
>>2795243
>>2795236
>using plastic
Do you fags really grow shit with plastic everywhere?
>>
>>2796272
I use cardboard
>>
>>2796272
its not my preference but i'll use whatever is available, depending on what im dealing with. If theres a really invasive propigates-through-rhizomes plant in the area im not taking any chances.
>>
>>2795236
Use gravel as a barrier so water can flow through and worms can go up to help add nitres to the soil
>>
>>2795236
hugelkultur
look it up, works best and keeps the beds from drying out all the time.
>>
>>2796186
Richtig und wichtig.
Konstruktiver Holzschutz ist der Weg zu gehen.
>>
I just put some cardboard on the ground and build the bed over that. Decays soon enough. Never had major issues with weeds pushing through though i guess it's going to depend on the height of your raised bed. This way the roots of your plants get to use the water and nutrients of the soil underneath and not just the stuff you put in the bed. If you want to extend the life of the bed consider lining the inside with drainage membrane. Bumpy side against the wall. Just make sure the roll you get is made from decent plastic and not coated with some nasty UV protection chemical
>>
>>2795236
no need
if the layer of soil is deep enough (say, a 1+ foot), weeds can't grow through it all and will just rot
throw in a bunch of (ideally half-rotten) scrap wood or wood chips at the bottom for hugel culture benefits
>>
Anon I’m going to be the nay sayer and recommend you don’t do a raised bed or if you do do so naturally. Unless you’re limited for space and have one on a in a planter box on a porch or terrace or something raised beds are a meme.
>>
>>2796881
My no till oregano bed. I put some boxes down and threw leaves on it. They overwintered and decomposed. Raked off the mess and voila.
>>
>>2796881
>raised beds are a meme.
www.youtube.com/@Selfsufficientme
>>
>>2796272
They are so conditioned to plastic they do not even realize.... Sad state of affairs
>>
>>2796890
Go grow potatoes in a bucket homo.
>>
>>2797657
I prefer old tires

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.