[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1714500894057130m.jpg (85 KB, 1024x1024)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
How do you make an alcohol-powered engine? Moonshining is legal where I live so I'm curious if I could grow ny own fuel.
>>
>>2795174
take a regular engine.
now stay with me here.

put pure alcohol in it.
retune the engine to run less efficiently and a crappy fuel.
>>
File: lustwaste.jpg (677 KB, 1600x1725)
677 KB
677 KB JPG
>>2795174
>>
File: 1710436061445158.gif (40 KB, 84x84)
40 KB
40 KB GIF
>>2795177
sounds doable
>>
>>2795177
We need federal subsidies for this!
>>
>>2795177
Alchohol is hygroscopic and absorbs water, so there is a higher risk of rust in that regular engine.

I don’t understand what that image is trying to depict exactly. Something about milk and cookies will/won’t cause mammary glands to get larger vs. beer? Vice versa?
>>
>>2795174
HOLY SHIT CARTOON BOOBS!
POST MORE CARTOON BOOBIES!!!
HUMMINA HUMMINA WOO WOOOOO
DADDY NEEDS MORE!!!
>>
>>2795256
yeah duh. OP wants an alcohol engine.
>>
>>2795177
Also remember to crank up the timing a bit. alky likes 32°+
>>
>>2795256
>I don’t understand what that image is trying to depict exactly. Something about milk and cookies will/won’t cause mammary glands to get larger vs. beer? Vice versa?
boomer cartoon where the girl likes cookies and milk, gets fat
>>
>>2795310
Kek, boomer has lost all meaning
>>
>>2795310
>>2795324
it's actually a zoomer cartoon
>>
>>2795324
>>2795328
ok grandpa
>>
>>2795338
Foster's home for imaginary friends released in 2004, faggot. It's not even that old.
>>
>>2795174
>How do you make an alcohol-powered engine?

Look up how drag racers do it for theory of operation then look up whatever you dream of converting. Carbed older engines are easy.
>>
>>2795256
diesel also absorbs water
you just keep it in an aluminum tank and run it through a water separator before burning it in the engine
>>
Let the engine suck from alcohol tank. Do you have an engine ready?
The rest is trying to make it ignite/clean burn by advance timing and increase amount, keep fuel system alive as rubber hates alcohol.
Have you figured out the alcohol side of the thing? Ferment and distill equipments.
>>
>>2795345
>20 years ago
boomer toon
>>
>>2795457
>keep fuel system alive as rubber hates alcohol.

Viton seals and alcohol-rated hose are easily sourced. Cheap generic "rubber" disintegrates and befouls fuel systems severely.

OP should build an engine for alcohol cart racing to learn the ropes as those are simple and thoroughly understood but cheap too.

A fancy version:
https://kartcityperformance.com/wka-pro-series-alcohol-briggs-animal-engine/
>>
>>2795483
Boomers were into late middle age by then. Learn to math.
>>
File: 1708691969171971.gif (1.77 MB, 353x171)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB GIF
>>2795515
lol you can't just change the definition of boomer just because you don't like being included
>>
>>2795552
>you can't just change the definition
That is literally how language works.
>>
>>2795568
on a societal level, not an individual level, you disingenuous retard.
>>
>>2795579
that is literally how it works - society is made of individuals, and society never makes a collective decision on language evolution before widespread use by individuals. and you might look into the definition of disigenuous before you use it again.
>>
File: 1713863218551306.gif (3.85 MB, 600x338)
3.85 MB
3.85 MB GIF
>>2795585
You're intentionally misinterpreting words to try and look better in an internet argument nigger, fuck off
>>
>>2795579
>on a societal level, not an individual level
Nobody gives a fuck about your personal vocabulary, even less about made up bullshit to pretend you won an internet argument. Loser.
>>
>>2795483
>you can't be a kid 20 years ago
Deep mental retardation right here.
>>
>>2795197
We already have federal subsidies, for this.
>>
>>2795594
>Nobody gives a fuck about your personal vocabulary,
That is literally what I just fucking said
>>
>>2795600
ok, So:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/boomer
>Boomer: a person born during the period between approximately 1945 and 1965
How is foster's house a boomer cartoon?
>>
>>2795568
“Literally” now seems to mean “figuratively”
>>2795568
The time for English being “descriptive” rather than “prescriptive” is long since over.
>>2795605
Boomer here. I’ve never heard of it. I was probably working my ass off to build the civilization you all enjoy. Didn’t have time to lounge around and contemplate being trans. Which didn’t exist except in chemistry and the rocky horror picture show.
>>2795174
There is something wrong with the way the elbows are drawn on the green hoodie.
>>
>>2795552
I don't think you know what a boomer actually is. Hint, they're a minimum of like 60 now.
>>
>>2795605
>>2795657
modern definition has changed doofus, dictionaries are always a decade or so behind
>>
>>2795705
a boomer is someone born after WWII but before the 60's who went through their teenage years in the 60's but no later than 1975.

IDC what a dictionary defines it.

modern retards just call anyone a boomer that does not agree with them. like calling people racist who did not say or do anything racist.
>>
>>2795890
Those are baby boomers, not boomers.
>>
>>2795657
boomers are anyone over the age of 30 because jews have taught zoomers to hate anyone older than them as part of their faux cultural revolution.
>>
>>2795174
it's doesn't matter, you won't do it.
>>
>>2795929
baby boomers, and boomers are the same thing you dunce.

baby boomers mean the babies born from the boom that accord after WWII. those babies are boomers.
>>
>>2796380
Baby boomers are the people born during the baby boom after ww2. Not the "boom" which doesn't mean anything on its own, retard. Stop twisting things to suit your own goal. Don't pretend the last what, 6 years? haven't been filled with people talking about 30 year old boomers. I mean seriously, the average young person genuinely treats them as different things, which is sufficient semantic drift to catalogue its use as valid. You're arguing against an accurate statement.
>>
>>2796385
Business is booming.
Sonic boom.
Boom box.

Let me Axe you a question: why didn’t you wait in the car like I Axed you to?
>>
File: 1713032213365056.gif (3.55 MB, 270x205)
3.55 MB
3.55 MB GIF
>>2796385
>Stop twisting things to suit your own goal
The amount of projection and mental gymnastics this post contains, all condensed just to prevail in the stupidest internet debate over a well known definition is simply a work of autistic art. After witnessing all these replies involving multiple users trying to correct a bad association that you keep defending without anything to support it (as if it's self-evident) makes me wonder, am i reading an actual human being or a machine programmed to make people go mad? Because assuming you're a real person:

A - You're just trolling.
B - You're extremely stupid.
C - You're extremely autistic and can't stand the idea of being wrong.

Perhaps your interaction with zoomers gave you a bad idea of what "boomer" means, after all, zoomers can't learn more than 600 words unlike any previous generation using at least more than 1000.
I assume they likely recycle frequently used words to describe more than a concept, for instance, everything that is considered old is now "boomer" as being a synonym of "old". Such a natural, evolutionary regression towards simpler cognitive behaviors, God only knows how beast-like alpha gen will be if such trend doesn't stop.

At this point i just disengage and move on, anyone who keeps taking the bait from this drama tranny is a masochist.
>>
>>2795178
>lust provoking
anon...
>>
>>2796403
>Perhaps your interaction with zoomers gave you a bad idea of what "boomer" means,
Translated:
>Perhaps your interaction with a significant portion of the population gave you an accurate idea of what "boomer" means,
>>
>>2795705
>>2796385
wrong definition is still wrong.
by your logic zoomers will be boomer next week.
stop being retarded.

a boomer is one and only one thing:
a person who was born AFTER WWII and grew up (10 to 20 years old) between 1965 and 1975). boomers have a specific mindset and were exemplified by the hippies.

hippies became boomers.

people who were not hippies were not boomers because they don't have the mindset.

you can't be something you didn't experience. a 30 year old today cannot be a boomer because they grew up in a completely different time. you're just calling someone something because it is now deemed derogatory.
>>
Hey Boomer bro it doesn't matter if you're actually right because you're an old man arguing with a child you're embarrassing all of us. Please stop and let the children use the words how they want.
>>
>>2796662
>wrong definition is still wrong.
it's not wrong
>by your logic zoomers will be boomer next week.
I didn't say that, you're putting words in my mouth.
>stop being retarded.
no u
>a boomer is one and only one thing:
>a person who was born AFTER WWII and grew up (10 to 20 years old) between 1965 and 1975). boomers have a specific mindset and were exemplified by the hippies.
*baby boomers
>hippies became boomers.
we're not talking about hippies?
>people who were not hippies were not boomers because they don't have the mindset.
literally and totally completely unrelated
>you can't be something you didn't experience. a 30 year old today cannot be a boomer because they grew up in a completely different time.
again, you're confusing boomer and baby boomer
>you're just calling someone something because it is now deemed derogatory.
damn you ALMOST got it figured out, boomer.
>>
>>2796673
Terrible trolling, 1 out of 10. Nobody is even slightly annoyed.
>>
>>2796825
ok boomer
>>
>>2796673
ok boomer
>>
>>2795174
In a tl;dr you can make everything that combuste in to fuel for a combustion engine what would change would be the compresion ration and the filter/exaust mechanism that depending on what u use you'd have to clean the system or develop something to clean it more often.
For instance there were a dude that made a ford truck to run on use cooking oil here in Brazil.
>>
>>2796834
https://visornoticias.com.br/com-gasolina-cara-inventor-faz-caminhonete-funcionar-com-oleo-de-cozinha-usado/

i'm not going to translate. If you get interested use google translator to find more.
>>
>>2795351
>>2796834
>4 day old thread
>50 replies
>One that vaguely mentions E85 and none that reference factory flex fuel vehicles
This post was a lot longer; but really YOU have two choices:
build an e85 carb and use it on something it would fit (enjoy 3mpg)
or
buy a used FlexFuel shitbox (15 hwy)
If you're capable of growing a few more brain cells you could buy anything that's easily flash tunable and do the fuel system work (huge injectors, ethanol safe pump/lines, fuel mix sensor)
If you had some wrinkles on the multicellular brain, you could use microsquirt, and understand when/why it was necessary.
YOU (retard) have the two options I initially stated.
>>
>>2796871
are you well?
did someone touch you i a weird place?
chill, dude.
>>
>>2795174
>I'm curious if I could grow ny own fuel
How much land do you have? Because you're going to need a lot to create enough fuel for normal day to day use.
>>
File: M35_Truck[1].jpg (418 KB, 1600x1200)
418 KB
418 KB JPG
>>2797356
This. There is a reason farmers don't grow their own fuel and buy diesel instead. The main reason everyone uses petroleum products to power everything is it was recognized early on as being the cheapest fuel source and all the infrastructure they've built around it has only made it cheaper.

The reason electric cars are finally staring to have a moment is that batteries are finally starting to be cost effective alternatives. Everything else about electric cars was solved decades ago. Electricity, as a 'fuel' is cheaper than petroleum but the upfront cost is still too much for many people.

OP has done a double whammy on themselves though. They are going to have a huge upfront cost trying to get/modify an engine that can run on their DIY fuel AND they are going to have a ton of infrastructure to produce their DIY fuel. The only real flex fuel vehicles I know of are the US Army's old M35 series trucks. They got 10 MPG under the best circumstances but could run on most common fuels with no modification. They also had a duty rating of 2.5 to 5 tons. Alcohol is specifically not supported but you could more easily produce diesel anyway. Things like basedbeans and peanuts are great for biodiesel.
>>
>>2796899
it's just banter sir, i don't mean that op is literally retarded for not being familiar.
just saying that depending on how well you can familiarize yourself with it, the more options you have and the more viable they become. OP is free to learn as much as is necessary to accomplish his specific goal, which is why i presented different levels of understanding and the options they provide. It's just the cost of spoonfeeding. I let you copy my homework and I get to call you a retard
>>
>>2795174
Literally every single flex fuel vehicle is capable of running on E85 which is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. You shouldn't change between the two often. Don't forget you need a loicense for distilling fuel!
>>
File: IMG_0053.jpg (55 KB, 750x1000)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>2797735
>oi yuo gotsa loicense fer putin liquid in a tanker??
>>
>>2795174
You could make E85 like Brazilians do, but you need to get proportions right for manufacturing and will have to retune the engine itself (compression ratio mainly), and also expect for car to run shorter distances because unless you're racer/tuner, with E85 you'll only squeeze out around 80% of engine's capability compared to normal gasoline and your vehicle will consume 20% more fuel. On top of that, unless you carburetor engine, you'll also have to mix it with oil so the plastic parts don't get fucked.

Have fun.
>>
>>2799087
bruv, ecu reprogramming, fuel lines and fuel injectors and your turbo gasoline does e85 and gets better compression and efficiency
>>
>>2799539
That is in his unless
>>
Don't take my word for it but I think you can mix gasoline with ethanol and get more bang for your buck
>>
>>2799539
Why do you think I mentioned retuning engine, dumbass.
ECU retune is must by default, but along that you'll have to do additional preparations like getting high flow pump, new injectors made specifically for E85, and mixing in oil to the fuel because unlike normal gasoline E85 with E100 don't lubricate as well and will cause more engine wear, so you will have to do frequent engine checkups or you'll risk killing the engine. Also unlike normal gasoline, E85 absorbs water so you won't be able to leave car parked for days because your tank will end having water inside the system, and potentially the fuel itself will cause rusting inside the engine along with corrosion of plastic parts.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.