[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dashcam.jpg (176 KB, 1500x1500)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
I've seen videos of people placing multiple cameras all over their vehicles. This would be the ideal, since you can capture footage from nearly every angle, but I'm certain it's pretty annoying to implement irl. From order of importance, it seems like a camera recording what's in front of the car is most important, with a second camera facing back, recording the driver is the second most important. Recording the driver is important in case someone tries to assault the driver or steal the vehicle. Recording the back of the car may be the third most important angle, being able to get a good image of whatever is happening in the back of your vehicle, but this may actually be the fourth most important angle rather than the third if you commonly drive with people in the back seats. They could get assaulted during a road rage incident or worse, and it would be really nice to capture some footage of what was going on in the back seats.
>>
Front, Rear, sides, cabin, in that order. However, it's simpler to install a single unit with a front and cabin-facing cameras than it is to wire in rear and side cameras. Unless you bought a Tesla and the cameras are already there.
>>
>>2795034
What's the best setup for such a system? I'm willing to do some DIYing, but it would be nice to add in some automation, like overwriting old data, or at least notifying me when data is running low.
>>
>>2795034
Also, single units that can do a few channels of recording are pretty easy to acquire. Once you get beyond that, you're quickly into multi-channel recorders and the kind of equipment that trucking companies install in their fleet. It's like a hard plateau on returns.

Brands wise, Blackvue are expensive but worth every penny. Avoid Rexing.
>>
>>2795036
Too many variables man, depends on your appetite really. If you want fit-and-forget, get a Blackvue 4k dual channel and call it a day. If you want to get REALLY deep into things, get a 5+ channel truck recorder unit running on 12v, install it in your glovebox, and start strapping cameras into it.
I played around with this stuff for a couple of years and ended up with a couple of dual-channel plastic units that do a basic job with nearly zero hassle. Next time they fail I'll roll to Blackvue unit and forget about it.

WiFi offload when you return to base is a REALLY nice feature, but not easy to get.
>>
>>2795025
>>2795036
I was a rideshare cuck for 4 years in a "mostly peaceful" city. I've had to use footage once I defend myself legally. I can only recommend what I used: Vantru N2 Pro. It's got a front facing and interior vehicle facing camera. I read the N3 version has the aforementioned and a rear of vehicle camera all in one package. All cameras, especially the interior one, seem to be fish eye lenses. You will end up capturing SOME of the sides with the interior camera at least.

This is probably your best and easiest solution unless you wanna drop some serious cash. Just get the N3 and pop a 500gb SD card in it and call it a day. You could also set it up with your battery for 24/7 motion sensor recording if you like that sort of thing. I hope you the camera you get never comes in handy other than to parse up a clip of an interesting bird you saw once.
>>
>>2795746
The N5 seems pretty based.
https://www.vantrue.net/product/n5

The thing is, if a nigger with a bit of intelligence notices the dash cam, they'll just destroy the thing or steal it. This is bad if your car gets stolen, because you won't have much evidence of who stole it. You should also have some GPS tracker hidden in your vehicle to be able to tell where your vehicle is located.
>>
Bump.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.