[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: tools.png (341 KB, 1062x507)
341 KB
341 KB PNG
Are Greenworks power tools any good? Saw this 24V set at Costco, wondering if I should grab it, usually I go with Dewalt or Milwaukee, purely because that's what I see other people using.

https://www.costco.com/greenworks-24v-4-piece-power-tool-combo-kit.product.4000187618.html
>>
>>2795000
>usually I go with Dewalt or Milwaukee
>purely because that's what I see other people using
Are you allergic to all forms of critical thinking?
>>
>>2795000
>300$ for four tools, 2 batteries and bits & bobs
i can only imagine how bad these gimmick tools are
>>
they look alright
the batteries are 6 cells so they're actually just 20v tools. brushless is also good.
they just look really basic, the drill is pretty big and clunky compared to modern dewalts
the sawzall only has a 1" non-adjustable stroke so that could be limiting
oscillating tools aren't really that useful IMO. they're only good at very specific jobs
the best tool there is the circ saw

everything besides the drill is going to struggle on those 2 ah batteries
>>
>>2795041
They’re technically 21.6V. But if DeWalt is 20V MAX, then Kobalt, Flex, and Greenworks are 24V MAX

>>2795000
They’re actually made by one of the smaller big companies that owns a bunch of brands. They’re not brand new or some generic rebrand, but it’s hard to find them outside or Amazon.

That $299 price tag isn’t that great, especially considering it’s only 2x 2Ah batteries and disregard the bits and stuff because you could get a DeWalt set for $10-$20. For the same money you could get Ryobi HP stuff which is better homeowner stuff. Or probably even last gen brushed DeWalt, and you can buy the Ryobi and DeWalt at a local store. Or even Skil, it’s another mostly Amazon brand but they have good tools for the money. If it was like $149-$199 for the set, that would be a good gift for your clueless brother in law who bought a house but has never swung a hammer.
>>
A makita or Dewalt or Milwaukee will take a header off an eight foot step ladder and still work fine. I don't know about these other brands or ryobi. If you're using it every day for a professional setting get the tried and true stuff. If you're a homeowner who uses his Sawzall once a year to trim some branches these are probably totally adequate
>>
>>2795000
If you want cheap tools just buy Ryobi Brushless
>usually I go with Dewalt or Milwaukee, purely because that's what I see other people using
You get what you pay for. Also how do you have tools from those brans but need a drill and a circ saw? aren't those usually babby's first tools or was that just me?
>>
2AH batteries are pretty small... Going to be charging a lot, keep 1 full if you've got a project you want to do.
Do they sell other tools? Like an impact or a sander or anything else? Or is it just these 4 tools? I'd look into that too because if you buy this you're tied to those specific batteries and those specific tools.
Other, larger brands have way more tools so if you buy into that system you get a lot of options. Cheapo chinese tools with not many options means you're going to have to buy other tools and other batteries eventually.
>>
>>2795000
A guy on YT compared electric (battery) lawnmowers.
Greenworks came out on top.
That doesn't necessarily relate to power tools but I'd say they probably aren't junk.
>>
>>2795226
I think Greenworks has multiple tiers of tools. They have a 24V weekender duty line with drills and such, then a 40V yard tools for small yards, 60V for bigger suburban lawns and maybe small farmers trying to go green, and then an 80V “Commercial” line that’s trying to compete with stuff like the Stihl cordless yard tools. If it was an 80V commercial mower, it should’ve done pretty good.
>>
>>2795062
> just buy ryobi
… and more importantly they’re green and can be converted to an expensive toolophile brand for quick e-bay re-sale-and-disappear deal.
>>
>>2795000
I don't have any hand tools from them but do have their weed whacker, lawn mower and hedger. They make claims about having universal batteries but then use different Ah capacities for no reason. Not to mention tools of a similar size use a different voltage battery.
>>
>>2795226
EGO is my brand
>>
>>2795002
Clearly I'm asking here for a reason, dipshit.

>>2795006
Sort of what I figured, Dewalt stuff goes for about 150 a pop at Home Depot.

>>2795041
>>2795045
The answers I needed.

>>2795062
>but need a drill and a circ saw?
I got a corded drill and it's sort of a pain to use so I figued find something cordless. No circ saw or sawzall, just some hand tools. Don't do enough to need them, but if they come in a set, I figured why not. Could sort of use a sawzall though.

>>2795221
No, that's the only brand Costco carries right now.

>>2795249
Lmao, but no.
>>
>>2795226
That was an 80V greenworks mower. It performed very okay despite being much higher power than everything else.
>>2795263
Just got an EGO mower and blower.
They fuck.
>>
>>2795246
>If it was an 80V commercial mower
It was. It's also the least expensive of the lot tested.
>>2795263
>EGO is my brand
My daughter has the 60V EGO mower.
I have an EGO hedge trimmer, and weed whacker
They're all great machines.
>>2795271
>It performed very okay despite being
selected as best cutting and least expensive.
>>
>>2795000
actual legit investigator of quality here, not a fanboy of any nation, people or persons here. There are now 30 different brands across the world. Some brands like makita have not kept up too well. Other brands are geo specific mostly like einhel. Stihl is also a good one but its older.

out of those 30 brands (there are even more of them but they are nearly universally shit), there are a vast amounts of them that ARE shit. Sometimes reviews are bought, sometimes a youtube reviewer is wrong. Its just a giant mess to find the best quality/price ratio.

There is not one "best" brand, research and investigate. There are like a top 10 of well established brands like milwaukee who perform very well, but you would be a dumb nigger fanboy to claim that there is only one good brand and the rest being shit. No. Quality wise there are a few good brands.Picking one or the other often does matter that much. As long as you dont pick a garbage brand.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.